• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie water-cooling system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I prefer exhaust as it removes any 'hot spots' in the case with more air coming out than in. What is the point if getting more air in the case if you can't get it out... and as I said, I do not have dust issues with more exhaust CFM.

Those vents on the side are the only things there for exhaust (outside of the rear fan?!!!), wow, yeah, I wouldn't really call that optimal at all...

I just think I'd rather have too much cool air inside the case, than there being not enough to exhaust. It's like, I'd rather eat more than I can sh*t than not having enough to sh*t lol.

There are also vents on the front and back, I've been look at cooling performance tests of this case and it doesn't seem to be a problem there, I'm gonna be putting a 360 rad in front and 260 on top. All there is left to do now is wait for the case to be released :clap:

Last edited:
Just planned my loop, what do you guys think? :D

Attachments

• Evolv-ATX-62.jpg
    Evolv-ATX-62.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 67
Just a suggestion, but I would go from the front radiator into the CPU, to the top and down to the GPUs. I think it would look cleaner, and would probably require less tubing. That is if the front radiator does have inlet/outlet at opposite ends, of course.

Just a suggestion, but I would go from the front radiator into the CPU, to the top and down to the GPUs. I think it would look cleaner, and would probably require less tubing. That is if the front radiator does have inlet/outlet at opposite ends, of course.

You're right. My original idea was to use the 360 to cool the GPU and the 240 to cool the CPU so I've actually done it wrong.

This is what I meant to do in the first place

Attachments

• Evolv-ATX-61.jpg
    Evolv-ATX-61.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 66
My 2 cents worth, the CPU is easier to cool especially i7-6700k less watts now,than the GPU ,and if u go sli need more cooling on GPU`s ,also pump placement need to be rearranged for sli,. As for fan noise it will get to ya after awhile, best to plan for less fan noise ,higher rad FPI, means higher noise need more CFM to push through. The ASUS Maximus VIII Forumla has chip set water cooling provisions, don`t have to use it though. Are u planning on rigid tubing? Definitely go with D5 pump,variable. Would also think about draining system.

Last edited:
If you were considering SLI in the future, if I'm not mistaken, you can mount the pump under that wire-shield-thingy. I agree with the drain though, already had to drain my loop (3rd week in operation now, drained after first to fix a fitting I cross-threaded), and it would have been terrible had I not thought a drain system out.

My 2 cents worth, the CPU is easier to cool especially i7-6700k less watts now,than the GPU ,and if u go sli need more cooling on GPU`s ,also pump placement need to be rearranged for sli,. As for fan noise it will get to ya after awhile, best to plan for less fan noise ,higher rad FPI, means higher noise need more CFM to push through. The ASUS Maximus VIII Forumla has chip set water cooling provisions, don`t have to use it though. Are u planning on rigid tubing? Definitely go with D5 pump,variable. Would also think about draining system.

I'm already using the bigger rad to cool the GPU, I'm afraid if I go SLI I'll have to change case as this case does not have enough radiator space for that.

And yes, I'm planning on using PETG tubes and the EK-XTop Plexi D5 Vario PWM Pump. I'm still thinking where to put a drain valve, ideally I'd want it on the pump but unfortunately it's not at the lowest point of the loop, so I'm thinking of putting the valve somewhere on the bottom tube coming out from the front rad.

- - - Updated - - -

If you were considering SLI in the future, if I'm not mistaken, you can mount the pump under that wire-shield-thingy. I agree with the drain though, already had to drain my loop (3rd week in operation now, drained after first to fix a fitting I cross-threaded), and it would have been terrible had I not thought a drain system out.

The pump is something I wanna show so I won't be hiding it at the bottom, and due to limited radiator space, I'll have to change case if I go SLI.

I'm already using the bigger rad to cool the GPU, I'm afraid if I go SLI I'll have to change case as this case does not have enough radiator space for that.

And yes, I'm planning on using PETG tubes and the EK-XTop Plexi D5 Vario PWM Pump. I'm still thinking where to put a drain valve, ideally I'd want it on the pump but unfortunately it's not at the lowest point of the loop, so I'm thinking of putting the valve somewhere on the bottom tube coming out from the front rad.

- - - Updated - - -

The pump is something I wanna show so I won't be hiding it at the bottom, and due to limited radiator space, I'll have to change case if I go SLI.
My experience with drains they dont completely drain the system without a lot of twisting and turning. Also need a vent port at top or maby not depending on ur pump and resevior. Vacum is created without top port. Read where hard tube systems are difficult to drain without proper set up. I may be wrong as i dont have any experience with hard tubing.

As long as the drain is positioned at the lowest part of the loop, it will drain majority of the fluid once the pressure is released as gravity takes over.

Wont drain a vertical rad with ports mounted up.

Not true. I have a 360mm up top along with another 720mm of heat surface at the lower compartment next to the drain and get most of the fluid out once the reservoir is opened up. Than I just need to move the case around to get the rest of it out.

Not true. I have a 360mm up top along with another 720mm of heat surface at the lower compartment next to the drain and get most of the fluid out once the reservoir is opened up. Than I just need to move the case around to get the rest of it out.
Right,as i said you gota move case around as in tipping it on its side or front or back whick ever way it takes to get rads completely drained and still gota be careful if undoing fittings ectra because of droplets. In careful i mean paper towels ectra.

I'm miss understanding you thinking that you're saying it won't drain at all. lol Yeah, its not a lot of fluid because most of the liquid gets out but there is some left everywhere as a whole. That's part of water cooling, no biggie. In the end, playing it safe is best.

My experience with drains they dont completely drain the system without a lot of twisting and turning. Also need a vent port at top or maby not depending on ur pump and resevior. Vacum is created without top port. Read where hard tube systems are difficult to drain without proper set up. I may be wrong as i dont have any experience with hard tubing.

How do you drain your loop without doing any tipping at all? I though a drain valve was the quickest and easiest way already.

How do you drain your loop without doing any tipping at all? I though a drain valve was the quickest and easiest way already.
Yep drain valve is the best or a quick disconnect but in ur case using hard tubing quick disconnect may not work lol. Seems like to me two drain valves would be the best 1 before the pump and 1 after, fluid seems not drain too well through pump, but as Jack said thats the issues with water cooling, ur loop set up in ur drawings looks good for draining though, if drain valve in lowest place. Just remember when draining use extra precaution due to accidental spills,always of course disconnect all power, and use lots of paper towels to protect everything as much as possible, hard to dry out vid cards since u have to dismantle it and motherboards and psu`s ectra ,been there done that

Last edited:
Yep drain valve is the best or a quick disconnect but in ur case using hard tubing quick disconnect may not work lol. Seems like to me two drain valves would be the best 1 before the pump and 1 after, fluid seems not drain too well through pump, but as Jack said thats the issues with water cooling, ur loop set up in ur drawings looks good for draining though, if drain valve in lowest place. Just remember when draining use extra precaution due to accidental spills,always of course disconnect all power, and use lots of paper towels to protect everything as much as possible, hard to dry out vid cards since u have to dismantle it and motherboards and psu`s ectra ,been there done that

If you're draining for maintenance, you will probably be dismantling everything anyway. So long as the majority of the fluid is expelled, and everything is powered down, you shouldn't have to worry too much if a few drops hit the PCB. Just make sure everything is dry before reassembly, and especially before powering up.

Back