• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg: crazy long shipping eats up the return period.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
I screwed up once again, and didn't notice that an item I purchased on Dec. 8th was "shipping from China". Tracking shows that it finally made it to my local post office, so it 'should' be available for pick up today or tomorrow. The item has a 30 day return period for refund or replacement, so does this mean I have just 3 or 4 days left to evaluate it?

I contacted Newegg and suggested that a desirable search feature would be to allow a permanent setting to screen product searches to be constrained to U.S. only, but Newegg has not responded.

Maybe it's time to say goodbye to NE, Amazon has plenty of electronics available, and they understand the concept of prompt shipping.

I mean, is it newegg's fault you didn't pay attention to the seller? The same thing can happen on Amazon, Ebay, Target, Walmart, etc coming from 3rd-party sellers, you still have to pay attention to where/whom you are buying from, right?

With that, I agree that it should be 30 days from reception of the item, versus from ship/purchase date for obvious reasons. But I don't think it is Newegg's fault you bought a product from the other side of the planet.

The first thing I do is select items sold and shipped by Newegg. Once you're outside of their pervue, they have little to do with it.

I mean, is it newegg's fault you didn't pay attention to the seller? The same thing can happen on Amazon, Ebay, Target, Walmart, etc coming from 3rd-party sellers, you still have to pay attention to where/whom you are buying from, right?

With that, I agree that it should be 30 days from reception of the item, versus from ship/purchase date for obvious reasons. But I don't think it is Newegg's fault you bought a product from the other side of the planet.
I never said that it was Newegg's fault, my first words were "I screwed up once again". The main thrust of my post is:
The item has a 30 day return period for refund or replacement, so does this mean I have just 3 or 4 days left to evaluate it?

Good question. I'm not sure offhand. Maybe look at Newegg or ask them (chat I find is responsive). I'd have to imagine it's from the day it arrives though. That would be pretty shitty if the term was that short and it was upon purchase.

I think Janus was referring to how you're going to shun NE for other marketplaces (that do the same thing). I don't know if they have options to only show sold by XXX by default... any of them. It would be good to know. :)

Good question. I'm not sure offhand. Maybe look at Newegg or ask them (chat I find is responsive). I'd have to imagine it's from the day it arrives though. That would be pretty shitty if the term was that short and it was upon purchase.

I think Janus was referring to how you're going to shun NE for other marketplaces (that do the same thing). I don't know if they have options to only show sold by XXX by default... any of them. It would be good to know. :)

Sorry if I wasn't clear, what Joe said is accurate regarding the meaning of my post. Pretty much any of the sites offer some way to filter the seller via checkbox/sorting filter on the left side. After that, all bets are off, unfortunately. With that said, there's a lot of reasons to shun NE over the last multiple years, so I wouldn't fault you or anyone for deciding to do so.

Here's

So here's a screenshot of the item that I have still not received, shows 5 days remaining for return:

usb.png

BTW, I've been a NE customer since 2002 and have had generally favorable service; I dislike the "market place" business model but literally all retailers are doing that these days. The upside for market place is greater selection, the downside(IMO) is the lines for accountability and responsibility are blurred, making resolution of problems more complicated for the customer.
FWIW, I don't necessarily "trust" Amazon more than Newegg, but I do think since Amazon as a retailer is much more high profile they go the extra mile to maintain customer satisfaction.

That's hilarious (as an outsider :p)! I'd have to imagine that with some correspondence they would honor a warranty. An email with an image attached of the day the systems show it arrived. If not....China. Yeah. :(

If I do have to order from the marketplace, I tend to look at the seller rating they have. While not The Gospel, it could shed some light on any issues one may have. Look through the 1/2 ratings, etc. A PITA, indeed, but the price you pay (so to speak, lol) for having that additional selection and availability.

While I'm waiting(should arrive any second) I thought it would be amusing to look at the crazy route this item has traveled, since leaving China:
Code:
[HEADING=3]Track the Status on [yuntrack][/HEADING]
[PHELAN,CA 92371]out for delivery, expected delivery by 9:00pm
1/3/2022 6:10 AM
[PHELAN,CA 92371]arrived at hub
1/2/2022 10:55 AM
[PHELAN,CA 92371]arrived at usps facility
1/2/2022 8:31 AM
[SAN BERNARDINO CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER, ]departed usps regional facility
1/2/2022 5:12 AM
[, ]in transit, arriving on time
1/1/2022
[SAN BERNARDINO CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER, ]arrived at usps regional destination facility
12/31/2021 10:29 PM
[SAN BERNARDINO CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER, ]accepted at usps regional destination facility
12/31/2021 9:14 PM
[SPARKS,NV 89441]departed shipping partner facility, usps awaiting item
12/30/2021 1:12 PM
[SPARKS,NV 89441]arrived shipping partner facility, usps awaiting item
12/29/2021 6:36 PM
[LOS ANGELES,CA 90040]departed shipping partner facility, usps awaiting item
12/29/2021 2:26 AM
[VERNON,VERNON,US]arrived at sort facility.
12/29/2021 1:45 AM
delivery to local courier
12/28/2021 10:55 PM
[VERNON,VERNON,US]departed from facility.
12/28/2021 10:54 PM
[LOS ANGELES,CA 90040]arrived shipping partner facility, usps awaiting item
12/28/2021 10:26 PM
arrived at airport of destination
12/24/2021 7:23 PM
custom clearance completed
12/24/2021 3:00 PM
departed from airport of origin
12/24/2021 2:12 AM
[CHINA]arrive at international airport to abroad
12/22/2021 8:59 PM
[JINJIANG]departed facility in processing center
12/21/2021 8:58 PM
[JINJIANG]departed facility in jinjiang
12/21/2021 5:39 AM
[JINJIANG]arrived at sort facility jinjiang
12/18/2021 8:45 PM
shipment information received
12/9/2021 6:37 AM

It got to LAX about 20 days after purchase, then on to Vernon,Ca.(USPS sorting?)then zoomed East bound on the freeway PAST my area and ended up in Sparks.NV. Sat there a couple days, then OMG got back on the freeway and finally arrived at the local USPS distribution center in SBO. It's in town at the PO, waiting to be stuck into the "cluster box" out on the highway, about 3/4 mile from the house.

...sometimes ya just have to laugh because life is too crazy to cry about! :LOL:

People still not shop on Amazon? Also, could it not be argued that return windows begin on the date of delivery according to tracking info? Return window starting from shipment would be awful. Even worse...if it started from the day it was ordered-----BEFORE it even shipped!

Ha... yeah, we'll never know if that was actually true now... :p

I'm certain with a simple correspondence and some proof (effort you shouldn't have to make, for sure), I think they would have honored it.

I

I contacted Newegg and suggested that a desirable search feature would be to allow a permanent setting to screen product searches to be constrained to U.S. only, but Newegg has not responded.

Has Newegg responded?

I've been a NE customer since 2002

Newegg has been around since 2001. You ain't a TRUE OG, stop trying to flex lol. Just having fun.

Back