• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg not issuing a return for an unopened Windows box.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
B

brutalenfilade

I wanted to return an UNOPENED windows 7 box. I only opened the outside packaging with my shipping information on it. The inside plastic and box packaging with the seal that says if broken it cant be returned, isn't open or broken. They are refusing my a refund and its ridiculous? What should I do? Are there any sales reps here who I can contact and are more cooperative?

How have you contacted them, specifically? Phone is going to be the best medium for this.

I contacted them over email. They are excruciatingly annoying with the "Sorry for your inconvenience!" pasted after every sentence.

Is this OEM software or retail? Can you link to what you purchased?

Unfortunately, as per their software return policy, they do not accept returns on OEM software.

OEM software, including OEM versions of Operating Systems, can be returned within 30 days of the invoice date for a replacement (if defective or damaged). However, OEM software is non-refundable once delivered, due to the fact that the serial numbers are typically exposed on the packaging itself.
http://help.newegg.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/179/~/what-is-newegg.com's-software-return-policy?

That is ridiculous. I don't get why if its all unopened. Anything I can do at all?

Edit: The serial number isn't even on the outside...

There is no serial number or anything I could have taken advantage of on the outside.. This is so ridiculous.

You could try to call them to see if they can override their policy, but I wouldn't call expecting them to do it. I agree that it sucks, but those are the rules they have set forth.

I'd be surprised if they ignored their "No refunds on OEM Software" rule..

Ebay, or Amazon Martketplace could help you recoup some of your expenses, or find someone local who needs an os, check craigslist..

There are a few things we learn the hard way. One is your example, can't return software, that's how they're setup. The other one is if you cut out the UPC to send a rebate and something goes wrong on day 1 - you can get an RMA sure but it will be shipped right back to you - in other words, no UPC - no replacement.

The third one is the restocking fees, some places make sure you never return specific items because it will cost you 15% or whatever the restocking fee is for an unopened brand new item.

Gotta make sure what the return policy is. We can agree all we want if something's ridiculous or not - if you get an override, you'll be one of the few who somehow managed it, good luck.

Last edited:
Yeah I find Superbiiz and Amazon beat it's prices at a largely consistent basis, NewEgg's constant pushing of non-electronic products makes it obvious that is starting to feel pressure if it hadn't started feeling it already from Amazon.

What are you all on about and why did you bump this thread!?

Original poster could not return software and came here to complain. None of us ever could. The complaint was bogus! Then you claim some other company is better and look at this:

SuperbiizReturn.png

Amazon is huge and sometimes it has great deals and sometimes newegg has excellent deals and newegg has been a reliable store for more than ten years for most of us. 9.52 is an excellent reseller rating.

HeyLook.gif

http://www.resellerratings.com/
neweggRating.png

I GUESS IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT TYPE OF SERVICE YOU WANT ALSO WHEN YOU SHOP ON LINE. IF I CAN GET IT FOR A DESCENT PRICE AT MY LOCAL MICROCENTER THAT'S WHERE I'LL GO. THEY ASK NO QUESTIONS ON RETURNS. CAN'T REMEMBER THE LAST TIME U PURCHASED SOFTWARE

Yeah most people get digital downloads anyway, and I am sorry I did not realize this was bumped.

Back