• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newly introduced to overclocking, how much to overclock i7-8700k (specs included

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sphlay

hey guys so i ordered a PC (expected to come in by monday) with an intent of overclocking, at least mildly because i've never done so before. I don't have it yet so i cant post screenshots or any information, im just sort-of asking for GENERAL recommendations/estimates on how high i should overclock both my CPU and GPU, since i'm aware my cooling isn't the greatest i want to ask people that know more about overclocking than i do, to avoid damaging something since ultimately i want to use this computer for gaming over a long period of time, keeping it stable and healthy

CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i7-8700K 3.70GHZ 12MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151

CPU Cooling: 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler

(CASE FAN): DUAL ADDRESSABLE DIGITAL RGB 120MM FAN

HDD: 240GB SSD

HDD2: 2TB (2TBx1) HDD

MEMORY: 32GB DDR4-2400MHZ MEMORY

MOTHERBOARD: Z370 HD3 ATX USB 3.1 SATA3 1 M.2 CROSSFIRE

POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Power Supply

VIDEO: GeForce® RTX 2080 8GB GDDR6 (Turing) [VR Ready]

Again, very very very newly introduced to overclocking and how it works, wouldn't want to risk anything myself with such little knowledge so i just want to know, with this config, how much i should be expecting to (SAFELY) overclock the cpu AND gpu once the pc comes in. Thank you!

Well, PC should be fine at defaults for now because it's fairly recent. But if you're still set on overclocking...you didn't get a dell or Sony or some other "regular people" brand, correct? Because those would be closed down for owner to do any bios overclocking(or even software overclocking)

Well, PC should be fine at defaults for now because it's fairly recent. But if you're still set on overclocking...you didn't get a dell or Sony or some other "regular people" brand, correct? Because those would be closed down for owner to do any bios overclocking(or even software overclocking)

nah, i took one off cyberpowerpc and customized it a little bit

Can you be more specific about the make and model of your motherboard and your liquid cooler? If your cooler has only one 120 mm fan then it is not adequate for overclocking that CPU.

Back