• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[news] Manufacturing 1 PC Takes 1.8 Tons Of Raw Material [slashdot]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
craig588 said:

So are these emviromentalists suggesting that we stop living (as an extension of not eating)? Well, why dont they start the movement by killing off themselves.....

Ok, this goes over the line, and I have to step in as a mod.

WHen you make blanket statements against groups that likely include many of our members, and suggest that they kill themselves, then you have gone far over the edge of acceptable behavior.

Let's keep it civil folx. It's one thing to disagree with each other. It's quite another to start stereotyping and casting insults. If you can't be civil, then don't post.

nihili

My statement was part fact, and part not being a stubborn dumb***. I have been to many factories, from plastic, to metal, to silicon factories(where those types of materials were used) and everything was done in batches. i didn't see a lone cpu get doused with 1500kgs of water, or a whole computer need 1500kgs of water to be cooled from it's mold. Maybe 10 of the same computers, or morelikely 100 of the same computers. You may be up on the social, political, computer world...but us down in the workforce area know what we're saying and i am saying that that article is a bunch of blown up bull crap. I agree, upgrade not replace, but think about what all of us do, we upgrade. Now try and get a Dell or Gateway or w/e user that thinks the case is the HDD or Cpu(like the retards in our schools teach) to add a stick of ram or replace a cpu...it wont happen, so they chunk their old and replace it with new. So we might as well NOT argue this because it has nothing to do with us and the schools/government will be spending plenty of money REPLACING computers to keep lawsuits countersuited by the major PC parts and re-sellers/re-lablers(Dell/gateway..)

hmm almost makes me wonder how much resources we are using just to debate the resource usage numbers.........

Yeah, I don't like that the 1.5 tonnes of water is included in there, because I have doubts that it's "used up". I know in Canada and the UK, the manufacturing cost would have to include treating the water such that it could be released into a river without ill effects. That leaves 0.3 tonnes, 300kg, and since the monitor and PC will weigh about 50kg between them, that's 250kg "wasted". Since they say that 240kg is fossil fuels, then using an alternative energy source (Wind/hydro/solar/biomass etc) should mean that PCs can be made with only 10kg of materials wasted. 10Kg of waste to 50kg of product would be a good achievement really. However, I suspect that some of those "fossil fuel" numbers might not be as energy, since plastics are synthesised from fossil fuels.

It would not surprise me though if the majority of that water was from the PC having a steel case. I know steel takes a heck of a lot of water to process.

All you need to know is that statistics never lie, statisticians do.

More than likley it does take 1.8 Tons to make one computers. Its also very possible that it takes 1lb (estimate) per computer after that. See what Im getting at? It always costs more to make one than it does to make a million. The number is probally right, its just used in a context that is less than apporiate, depending on how you are looking at it.

Back