• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nf7 Barton 2500 won't oc at all

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Digitap

Registered
nf7 Barton 2500 won't oc at all-NOW RUNNING AT220X10

hi guys i bought an nf7-s rev 2 and its got a barton unlocked 2500 on it; i've done everything i know to get it to take some oc but it just won't budge, and i figured i'd ask you guys what you think the most likely problem is. the ram is aome cheap kingmax pc3700, right now im running it at 3-2-2-2 and the powersupply is a 500 watt owermax i used for a couple of years now. the 3.3 rail is all good, the 12 rail is juuust a bit weak, the voltage on the processor shows a little bit less than i have the bios set; bios is stock; i hook the cpu voltage up at 1.775 and wind up w about 1.74;
Now thing is, that i cant get this puppy to go past about 172 fsb, no matter what; voltage does'nt give me much, for example if i hook it up at 1.85 it still won't go past about 174 and of course it runs hotter; i cool it w air, and i have a hose from outside so im spraying the **** out of it w 20 degree F air, and it runs at about 39c full load; (im pulling in w a 92mm fan and hosing the silent take with another ducted fan so its gettn washed pretty good with icy air; i got a 92 mm fan washing the northbridge and backside of my 9800 pro, and another 92mm fan washing the FRONT of the vid; also 4omm fans blowing out; its as cold as my ex-wife's lawyer's heart in there;
acpi is off in windowsl the spread sectrum is off for agp and fsb, the mem voltage is 2.9, the agp is 1.6, the cpu is 1.775;
it'll run prime95 blend of course but when i put it on a tough prime95 test it'll error fast; and windows will rush, and glitch, 3d games won't run, if i try to get it past 172;
Would you guys like to speculate for me things i should do differently?
i'd appreciate it, cause SOMEthin ain't happening here, and i'm not sure what to think.
(by the way i have it set now at multiplier of 13.5; whatever the fsb will do, itll do at some good multiplication; but he fsb won't climb, even if i drop the multiplier to say, 9, and try to keep the speeds around stock; as i type its runing at 2300mhz, but of course i'd like to be running a wider pipeline thru fsb speed; )

Last edited:
Did you do the L12 mod? If not, try it.

The first thing to do is change those timings - they may be too agressive. Try 3-3-3-10 or 11. If it still won't go any farther, start raising the vcore for your DIMMs. Your processor probably has plenty of voltage, but your ram may not. 1.75V is most likely enough. I can run my 2600-M @ 2.45 on 1.7V, as an example.

If you are running two sticks of ram, try them one at a time - one may be holding you back. It's basically a process of trial, error and elimination. G'luck!

Yes, try to relax your timings and do the L12-mod.

The voltages will typically show different values in the monitor than you set in the BIOS (especially vCore). This is common with these mobos.

Try to disable the following BIOS-settings:

FSB Spread Spectrum
AGP Spread Spectrum
Thermal Throttling
System BIOS Cachable
Video RAM Cachable

Are you using two 512MB sticks? If so, you'll almost certainly run into memory-related problems unless you change to a modded BIOS w/ CPC disabled. (This option is available in the original BIOS, but it doesn't work). This parameter determines wether the memory controller has one or two clocks available for memory bank selection. You'll lose a bit performance, but if running 1GB altogether, changing to a BIOS w/ CPC off should be necessary. As you probably know there are tons of modded BIOSes for NF7.

I would try to lower both the Timing of the Memory and the voltage of it (depending on the default voltage). I have PC4000 working at 2.8V with 236 FSB so I don't think you need 2.9V to get over 174FSB.
Maybe try it with the memory settings in default first to get higher fsb.

I am having a similar problem. You said to do the L12 mod....what is that? and how do you do it? and secondly, someone suggested that I check to see if my Bios has PCI/AGP lock and to turn it on. but I have no idea where it is in the bios or what I am looking for. Please help.

dude, that sux man, im useing pc2700 and i have it at 180fsb 7-3-3-2.5, cpui enabled, i just getter bandwidth scores in sandra with it turned on, maybe play with your dividers a bit, see what happens, i dunno.. i wish i just had pc3200 to get past 180.

You can view the l12 mod here. .This is the clearest picture I have found for the mod.If it is the mobile chip then you will do the ah30 to ah28.It will then boot at 200 mhz x default.I would also set the ram speed to spd which is manufacturers spec.From there you can try other settings you like.

Update: I Took Ur Advice

i gave the memory a 2.5-3-3-11 setting and tried overclocking it again. at first it did the same thing as i began inching up, locking up, etc, but i decided to just blow by the 170s and went to 185. Perfect boot into windows. i kept taking it up five at a time till i got to 220 guys, and i stopped, it booted so smoothly it was obvious it was running like a top. i played Americ's Army for a couple of hours at 220 X 10 and it ran smooth as butter, with the processor temperature at 88 degrees fahrenheight. To start trying to bring it up, at first i dropped the multiplier to 8 till i hit 220 then since i wanted to play i stopped raising the FSB for the moment; this is a Desktop pre-week 39 processor i bought on e-bay for 68 bucks with a silent take heatsink attached. the memory is twin Kingmax 256 pc3700; my 12 volt line is a bit shaky(way shakey) at 11.74; the 3.3 line is 3.33 and 5 volt line is bout 5.2
I SURE APPreciate YOU TELLING me about the memory having to be loosened up; When i bought it the stock settings were 3-3-3 6 and so i FIGURED that would be good enough; it RUNS like DIFFERENT MACHINE NOW. THANKS, THANKS, THANKS, cause id have had no idea about the 11 setting for the memory; i'll speed it up some more later till it max's out, and report what i can run it on , on air;
MANY MANY THANKS AGAIN, cause I'D NEVER HAVE KNOWN WHAT TO DO- I THOUGHT THE 11 SETTING WAS SOME EXOTIC SETTING DESIGNED TO RAISE THE BUS BUT HINDER PERFORMANCE; IT DOESNT HINDER IT MUCH AT ALL.
i ran prim95 for just a bit as well, and it hit a temp of 104f; or about 39c; its being washed with iced air from outside like i said, withseveral fans; no L12 mod as of yet but im sure i will.... THANKS A HUUUUUGE, BUNCH for replying with the CRYSTAL clear advice; YOU GUYS know what's up

Well i had modem disconnected for roomate temporarily and messed w settings; had been running 1.77v on CPU , with a temp of about 88f. idle, 104f. prime95 full load . Brought voltage on cpu down to stock 1.6 'cause it won't load windows under that; and now im about 50f. idle and 85 full load prim95 testing.
tried dropping northbridge voltage down, from the bios max which is 1.7 but it requires all the board will deliver to start windows at 221. X 10.
the CPU would go all way to trying to load windows even at 1.55; but required the 1.6 to fully start; since im way way safe, voltage wise, for CPU, and dropping even a tenth for chipset makes it not start windows, im gonna do a pencil mod to raise voltage a bit on chipset, and try to get 450 fsb on it. i'll also wind up doing a L12 mod and i THANK you for the crystal clear photo in link above;
THANKS again guys i play America's Army as -somedatapackets- and bought this machine for gaming primarily. the new speed has really made the whole thing a lot more worth what i paid for it. 333fsb >> 442 fsb is a lot of improvement, esPECIally running at less than ninety degrees fahrenheight lol

Last edited:
Back