• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nintendo Wii = Scam

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry your gaming background is limited to CS, Unreal, Far Cry, etc. If all you want to play is the best graphics games ever then buy a PS3. Whats so freaking difficult? Whats your purpose for trolling the Wii? If you don't like it, want it, then don't BUY IT. Pretty simple huh?

Just to clue you in on some simple facts. There are over 120 million "gamers" in the US. Meaning ppl that spend an hr or more a week gaming. Of those over half are women. Do you think all those people are playing GoW, that just hit 1 million copies sold? What are the other 119 million other ppl playing? Games like Bejewled, Luxor, Chess, Scrabble, card games, mobile games, etc. Games that graphics mean nothing in, just how much fun and enjoyable they are. So if I was big N, yeah I think I'd focus on the 100+ million gamers out there that aren't looking to spend $600 for a few hours a week casually gaming. Just call me nuts, but it sounds like a good business plan to me.

Wii Sports is hardly a demo either, at worst you could call it a collection of mini-games. Something thats always been a popular thing with N fans. But its something you don't get with either other console do you?

And no, the Wii is not a freaking gamecube. You cannot do what you can do on the Wii with a gamecube, period. The gamecube doesn't have built-in WiFi, Mii's, or the ability to play NES, SNES, TGFX16, Genesis, N64, etc games.

Its also really funny to sit here and see ppl talk like they know what Wii games will look like in a year. When everyone with half a brain knows games will look MUCH better every generation of game thats released for a new console.

Last edited:
Midnight Dream said:
What the OP fails to mention about that Farcry: Vengeance screenshot, is that it was the first released screenshot, shown back in September, when Ubisoft themselves said that it was still a work in progress.

Actually every screenshot looks that bad. Find me one that doesn't look like a Nintendo 64 game.

Daleon said:
I'm sorry your gaming background is limited to CS, Unreal, Far Cry, etc. If all you want to play is the best graphics games ever then buy a PS3.

I've been straight Nintendo since the NES. I've bought every console up until now. Saying "If all you want to play is the best graphics games ever then buy a PS3" does not take away from the fact that Wii's lack of power is unacceptable given today's standards. Nintendo has always kept up with those standards until now. There is simply no excuse for charging $250 for a console that features no games out now or coming out that look better than the launch games of their previous console which was priced at $50 less.

Midnight Dream said:
No, the Wii is selling more than then PS3 because
A) It doesn't cost 600
B) People who actually play games are buying it, not buying it with intention to turn right around and sell it (for the majority)

PS - Sales reports for the Xbox 360 as of yesterday was alittle over 8 million. Not 10. Thats Microsoft's projected sales for the end of 06.

Wii: 235,976 units per day (3 days on sale)
PS3: 24,313 units per day (11 days on sale)
Xbox 360: 20,890 units per day (345 days on sale)

(Information from 11-21-06)

NO!

There are no PS3's out there to buy and all the units that they shipped were sold out. Which means that people who want to buy PS3 right now can't do it because there aren't any. Same deal as it was with 360 last year. Nintendo has shipped more units then Sony did. It's that simple, or maybe it isn't for you.

Supply & Demand :rolleyes:

And if you didn't notice it is end of the year.

Pollux said:
Read my post. Nintendo is selling us hardware that is 5 years old for $50 more than we originally paid for it in 2001. The entire console's selling point is its controller, which has yet to show to actually improve gameplay in anything other than a simple demo included with it. Hardware, whether you want to admit it or not, affects gameplay. Graphics, sound, physics, AI, loading times, world size, etc. are ALL dependant on hardware and ALL affect gameplay and immersion. Can you honestly see yourself playing games on this console until 2010 and beyond? To put that into perspective, it would be like playing games with Nintendo 64 quality graphics and features from 1996 to present day.
They're fun , why wouldn't I play it until 2010?

This isn't a scam. This is business. Its also not the same hardware. Its similar, but improved. Along with all the wireless technology, backwards compatability, etc, I really don't see how this is a scam...

GRaphics /= good games. Sound /= good games. ITs ALL of it together: control, story, gameplay, sound, graphics...

Pollux said:
There is simply no excuse for charging $250 for a console that features no games out now or coming out that look better than the launch games of their previous console which was priced at $50 less.

So they should have launched a $800 Super-Wii with PS3 level graphics and an inovative new gaming control scheme. Sorry, but even I'd have to pass on it at that price and I spend more on gaming than probably the vast majority.

Pollux said:
Can you honestly see yourself playing games on this console until 2010 and beyond? To put that into perspective, it would be like playing games with Nintendo 64 quality graphics and features from 1996 to present day.

2010, thats like 3 years. 1996 to present day, thats like 10 years. Exagerate a little?

RedDragonXXX said:
NO!
There are no PS3's out there to buy and all the units that they shipped were sold out. Which means that people who want to buy PS3 right now can't do it because there aren't any. Same deal as it was with 360 last year. Nintendo has shipped more units then Sony did. It's that simple, or maybe it isn't for you.

None out there to buy? Because they were all sucked up by re-sellers. There are plenty to buy off Ebay. :rolleyes:

RedDragonXXX said:
NO!

Yes! Consider exactly how many of those PS3's saturated the eBay market. They were not being bought to play, they were being bought to be sold. It was NEVER a factor of gameplay, it was a factor of greed.

Even now the figures on ebay don't lie

Sony Playstation 3 (16951)

Keep in mind this - There were only 400,000 PS3's available. ONLY. Figuring up that right now, several weeks after the launch, there are still 16,951 listed on eBay, that is an appalling number.

Daleon said:
So they should have launched a $800 Super-Wii with PS3 level graphics and an inovative new gaming control scheme. Sorry, but even I'd have to pass on it at that price and I spend more on gaming than probably the vast majority.

No, for $250 we should at least be getting a machine that can be considered next gen. The Wii, with its current hardware, is greatly overpriced. You have to actually consider this from a consumer perspective.

Daleon said:
2010, thats like 3 years. 1996 to present day, thats like 10 years. Exagerate a little?

The Wii's graphics began with the gamecube in 2001. You will be playing and buying games with the same graphics over a 10 year span (starting with the release of the Gamecube and ending with the end of the Wii's lifespan). It would be like if they released another Nintendo 64 in 2001 and not a Gamecube. That is where the analogy came from.

Last edited:
Pollux said:
The Wii's graphics began with the gamecube in 2001. You will be playing and buying games with the same graphics over a 10 year span (starting with the release of the Gamecube and ending with the end of the Wii's lifespan). It would be like if they released another Nintendo 64 in 2001 and not a Gamecube. That is where the analogy came from.

Miene Gott, will you stop making the comparison. Once again I state, none of the games released for the Wii yet take full advantage of its graphical capabilities.

I think it's a little early to be saying how terrible Wii game graphics are. Maybe thats just me being optimistic but right now it makes sense for developers to make a game that runs on gamecube port it to Wii....that gives you maximum customer base with the least amount of time spent programming. I think the Wii will churn out better looking games than xbox, it's hardware although clock speeds arn't impressive you have to realize the hardware especially the GPU is a different series. Architecture means everything. Also I have looked at Metroid 3 videos and found that I think it looks really good....the detail in the enemies is much higher than in gamecube metroids. As for farcry I don;t know.....it does look hideous....but I have that game for PC so it doesn't interest me.

Also the graphics impression is the first thing that wears off on a gamer.

Daleon said:
None out there to buy? Because they were all sucked up by re-sellers. There are plenty to buy off Ebay. :rolleyes:

and they only had about 6 to sell per continent, it's not hard to sell out fast in such circumstances.

Pollux said:
No, for $250 we should at least be getting a machine that can be considered next gen. The Wii, with its current hardware, is greatly overpriced. You have look beyond your fanboyism and actually consider this from a consumer perspective.

Why should you expect next gen graphics for $250? Did the 360 or PS3 launch for $250? Not even close.

LoL, how on earth could I be a faboy? I didn't start a thread trashing the PS3.I have a 360 and a Wii. And when the PS3 has a must have game I will prolly have a PS3. But just because ppl who don't even have a freaking Wii want to post trashing the system and I tell them they don't have a freaking clue what there talking about, it makes me a fanboy??? If YOU say so.

Last edited:
Alright guys, let's remain civil. I don't like where the tone of this thread is headed. If you are going to point fingers and start throwing 'fanboy' around, I would suggest to just refrain from posting. If Oni has to come in here because this gets out of hand I can assure you the banhammer will swing.

Well if the guy hasn't played one then he just doesn't understand why people enjoy it so much. One of my friends came up and visited a couple days ago, and whenever I told him I had a Wii he started making fun of me for it and I was just like well try it yourself. Before he left he called 10 stores just trying to see when they would get a new shipment in. That is the reaction that I have seen from everyone that has played it. So you might see it as a scam and that's your opinion, but there are a lot of people that don't see it like that.

knight_of_knee said:
Well if the guy hasn't played one then he just doesn't understand why people enjoy it so much. One of my friends came up and visited a couple days ago, and whenever I told him I had a Wii he started making fun of me for it and I was just like well try it yourself. Before he left he called 10 stores just trying to see when they would get a new shipment in. That is the reaction that I have seen from everyone that has played it. So you might see it as a scam and that's your opinion, but there are a lot of people that don't see it like that.

My roommate owns a Wii so I've played it quite a bit.

I have not purchased a Wii, but am seriously considering it for a x-mas present for my little sister who is 11. You say she's soo young she won't know the difference between that and a PS3 or XBOX360, well... I will be playing it too. And I've seen demo booths of PS3, XBOX360, and Wii. Wii has a "fun" atmosphere, where you are entertained whilst playing a video game, whereas you sit with a console and CAN get boring after hours of play.

Does this discussion have to be said over and over again? Nintendo has always aimed towards fun in the console department. Which means, so what if the graphics aren't great. I mean honestly, let's just have a look back at one of the MOST popular Nintendo 64 games, Goldeneye OO7. It's graphics today don't look good at all... Correct?! Well, I'd say that there are OVER 100,000 people playing it as we speak o_O It is STILL popular. You want to say dated, it's graphics are dated, but it's gameplay is what matters and gives us the kind of mind to stay and play it.

I like graphics, however, I do like to have fun when I get a console. My computer is what I play the graphically intense games on, as I can get a better feel on a pc.

So, if you really want to bash the Wii, then hell, let's bash the XBOX 360 you love so much.. It sucks ^_^ Now, I for one have one, because there are games that I like on it, not because I can go and buy FEAR.... I would rather keep that on the pc ^_^ Anyway, PCs rule over all, blah blah blah. And you speak as if you know the Wii inside and out, well.. Care to take a look at the 360? I mean, look at what it took out of it's initial release, the HD DVD player :O That was suppose to be on the basic, but they took it out to make money by placing it in the "Premium" version.

It's like a giant monopoly board and we are the players... Also, think of it like this old saying, the best of things can come in the smallest of packages :)

Im not buying a nintendo, im a PC gaming fanboi

But

it sure seems to me that the Wii pictures in the first 2 pics and reall really noticeable in the MArio pics) are Much better in terms of grafix then the game cube.

I know my eyes are not that good, but the wii pics dont have jagged borders.

Also comparing prerendered pics (zelda) is just silly, doesnt count. Even a playstation one played can play DVDs.

Ohj and lastly.. .COD3 and Farcry... arent they just pre-gen ports anyway? Thats not really Nintendos fault, thats up to the software designers to improve the game isnt it?

Neur0mancer said:
Also comparing prerendered pics (zelda) is just silly, doesnt count. Even a playstation one played can play DVDs.

The Zelda Pictures are not prerendered. That's what it actually looks like in game. The thing about his Zelda pictures is that they are both the exact same picture (you can look at the source)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back