• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED No caps lock indicator- Windows 8?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
Just got my taxes done, the tax guy just bought an all-in-one HP desktop, including wireless keyboard & mouse. Apparently there is no indicator light on the keyboard, and someone told him he had to purchase software to have some kind of caps-lock notifier display, in Win 8. I find this hard to accept, so I did some googling and came up with the following solutions(?) :

1. change settings solution

url

go to control panel > Ease of Access > Make the Keyboard Easeier to Use. Check the box next to Turn on Toggle Keys.

EDIT:

I found this answer for Windows 7, it may also work for Windows 8.

1. Click Start.
  2. Type Keyboard in the search field.
  3. Double click on Keyboard options.
  4. Under Key Settings tab, go to the Key Settings List.
  5. Locate and double click on CAPS LOCK
  6. On the menu where it says Display CAPS LOCK status on screen
  7. Click the check box, and click Finish

2. Third party software solution

Download & install CAPSLOCK-Notifier

Would either of the two above approaches be a 'recommended' solution, or is there a better way to invoke a caps-lock indicator, in Windows(8)?

Is this a Windows 7/8 question, how would he know under Windows XP that his Caps Lock was on unless he tested by typing?

Or is this a question unrelated to specific version of Windows, where the person simply has no Keyboard Light for Caps Lock?

I guess I am asking because the only way I ever notice the caps was on is by typing and seeing all caps, I don't think I ever looked at or noticed my keyboard Caps Lock light. It is there though on my keyboard. My keyboard is so old (it's an old mechanical IBM) it has no Windows key on it :D

His new HP is running Windows 8; I guess that since he is a "hunt & peck" keyboarder(watched him) he is busy looking down at the keyboard, and sometimes inadvertently hits the caplock key, which he isn't aware of, until he glances up at the display aND DISCOVERS THAT HIS DOCUMENT LOOKS KINDA FUNNY.

:facepalm:

His last machine probably had XP, but if the keyboard had an indicator light, then there was no 'capslock' detection issue.

OK. So the problem is not related to any OS. His keyboard just doesn't have a Caps Lock Light.

I guess his options are to simply buy a new keyboard? Or to use some kind of third party software that visually warns him, while he's looking down? :shrug:

Can you explain what does that regedit do? Does Windows 7/8 have a native warning flash on screen? I guess if it does, why use the third party software?

OK. So the problem is not related to any OS. His keyboard just doesn't have a Caps Lock Light.

I guess his options are to simply buy a new keyboard? Or to use some kind of third party software that visually warns him, while he's looking down? :shrug:

Can you explain what does that regedit do? Does Windows 7/8 have a native warning flash on screen? I guess if it does, why use the third party software?

I got the instructions quoted from the following url:
http://superuser.com/questions/552127/show-capslock-on-windows-8

I don't have a Windows machine to test the settings mentioned, so I'm just tossing it out there, for youse Windows guys to give comment on. ;)

Sorry, it's wasn't a regedit, I don't know why I thought that. It's just Windows onscreen keyboard, here's what happens:

Attachments

• KeyboardWin8a.jpg
    KeyboardWin8a.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 17,017
  • KeyboardWin8b.jpg
    KeyboardWin8b.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 17,180
1. change settings solution

url

go to control panel > Ease of Access > Make the Keyboard Easeier to Use. Check the box next to Turn on Toggle Keys.

1. Click Start.
  2. Type Keyboard in the search field.
  3. Double click on Keyboard options.
  4. Under Key Settings tab, go to the Key Settings List.
  5. Locate and double click on CAPS LOCK
  6. On the menu where it says Display CAPS LOCK status on screen
  7. Click the check box, and click Finish

2. Third party software solution

Download & install CAPSLOCK-Notifier

Would either of the two above approaches be a 'recommended' solution, or is there a better way to invoke a caps-lock indicator, in Windows(8)?

I guess this is an uncommon situation, so I setup win 7 pro on a spare drive, and tested the Settings option, as well as the CAPSLOCK-Notifier freeware.

The "change settings solution" will enable an audible tone, which works fine, as long as there are speakers connected, and the user is not hearing-impaired.

The CAPSLOCK-Notifier "third party software solution" freeware does provide a visual notification, near the Notification Area" of the desktop.

I emailed a download link for CAPSLOCK-Notifier to my tax guy, so my work is done.

Marked [SOLVED].

Back