• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No contract smartphone recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm getting the credit card out of the wallet...as we speak(as they say). ;)

...I haven't made a purchase yet, am a bit puzzled by the process of setting up with a carrier, and acquiring service. From viewing the T-mobile site, it looks safe to say that a SIM card has to be purchased from a carrier initially, and when changing carriers a new SIM card needs to be purchased(or reprogrammed?) .

So, once a SIM card is acquired, minutes refills can be purchased for a specific plan, that was previously agreed to...? Or, does one just renew & pay-for the[monthly] plan amount?
I feel a bit self-conscious about asking such 'noob' questions, but when it comes to smart phones- yes, I'm that noobish.

I checked AT&T and Sprint, and their websites were also difficult to make clearcut choices. Before I forget I have to ask:

Why is(for example) the t-mobile no contract Nexus 4(minus the $50 refill card) over $100 more than the comparable nexus 4 on Google Play?

edited

...I haven't made a purchase yet, am a bit puzzled by the process of setting up with a carrier, and acquiring service. From viewing the T-mobile site, it looks safe to say that a SIM card has to be purchased from a carrier initially, and when changing carriers a new SIM card needs to be purchased(or reprogrammed?) .

As far as I know, this is true.

So, once a SIM card is acquired, minutes refills can be purchased for a specific plan, that was previously agreed to...? Or, does one just renew & pay-for the[monthly] plan amount?

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here? I think what you're asking depends on the terms of the plan.

Why is(for example) the t-mobile no contract Nexus 4(minus the $50 refill card) over $100 more than the comparable nexus 4 on Google Play?

edited

Carriers like to rip people off who don't know any better. Playing devil's advocate, that's the no-contract price tag you would normally see on a phone of the Nexus 4s caliber, the $350 that Google is asking for is a ridiculous deal.

Well, late last night I just went ahead and ordered the Nexus 4, on Google Play. Once it arrives I'll take it to the t-mobile store and get a SIM card and set up some no-contract service.

I got my existing phone's contact list downloaded as a.csv file, so the last bit of business is capturing a couple saved voice mails in an audio file format

Late to the party, but you made a great choice. If my wife didn't need the Great Satan's (VZW) coverage in more rural areas for her work, I'd have gone that route. Instead the Galaxy S3 is treating me well, so it was a good second choice.

Enjoy the Nexus 4! Let us know how you like it. :)

Pro tip: Get a case for the Nexus 4. I personally rock this case here which can't be beat for the price.

I definitely want to protect my investment, thanks for the link. :thup:

Late to the party, but you made a great choice. If my wife didn't need the Great Satan's (VZW) coverage in more rural areas for her work, I'd have gone that route. Instead the Galaxy S3 is treating me well, so it was a good second choice.

Enjoy the Nexus 4! Let us know how you like it. :)

I kinda view vz that way, they do have great coverage, but there's something about the customer experience that dampens the warm & fuzzy feeling that one should have, for a giant telecom.
:shrug:

If you are looking for a case, what type do you want? I have the Seidio Surface, which is two parts: one that goes around the phone itself, which then clips into a belt holster. Ignore the price, you can get it cheaper.

Very nice case, looks very functional & complete. I did end up ordering the i-Blason Slim Fit S Line Flexible TPU case., for my first time smartphone foray..

BTW, I noticed Hokie's "Itch to Mod" thread, all I can say is that I'm starting to feel the pull of some unseen force; the phrase "modded ROMs" keeps flashing subliminally in my mind...I think there may be medications to help me resist...

Doesn't help that one of the perks of the Nexus line is that Google leaves them completely open for modders to tweak to their hearts intent...including overclocking. ;)

Doesn't help that one of the perks of the Nexus line is that Google leaves them completely open for modders to tweak to their hearts intent...including overclocking. ;)

Without a doubt, it's the main reason I bought the Nexus 4, which by-the-way arrived a couple hours ago. :bday:

However, as I've never used touch technology before, I'll have my hands full getting used to the interface; to me it's like going from driving a pickup truck, to piloting an alien space craft. Fortunately, I downloaded the handy 235 page Guidebook, and am eagerly reading though it.

I don't have a SIM card yet, but can hit my wifi, and have paired with my laptop, just need for find where to put any files that I might want to transfer.

When you plug it in you should see intuitive file folders for music, movies and downloads. :thup:

Before you start transferring files, its likely you'll have to install drivers to get the phone to appear correctly on the PC. Or you can use drop box and do it over the network.

One recommendation: utilize all the cloud storage you can. Don't put media on the phone itself. The camera will burn through memory much faster than you think (especially those 1080p movies!).

For all your modding needs, go talk to the people over on xda-developers forum. Your device has a HUGE amount of support right now.

When you plug it in you should see intuitive file folders for music, movies and downloads. :thup:

Worked just like that! ;)

Before you start transferring files, its likely you'll have to install drivers to get the phone to appear correctly on the PC. Or you can use drop box and do it over the network.

One recommendation: utilize all the cloud storage you can. Don't put media on the phone itself. The camera will burn through memory much faster than you think (especially those 1080p movies!).

For all your modding needs, go talk to the people over on xda-developers forum. Your device has a HUGE amount of support right now.

I didn't try my Mac or Linux machines, but had no problem connecting as a drive when booted into Win7.

I've seen xda-developers forum while gooling-for-answers, looks to be a rich resource indeed; androidcentral as well.

I returned to the T-mobile store this morning, this time I did talk to a salesperson there. I told her that I wanted a no contract deal, and mentioned that I had heard that "$30 a month can get you unlimited data and text with 100 minutes" and that I was looking for that kind of plan. As I expected, she mentioned the $50/mo. unlimited talk which is the least expensive plan I've seen, for T-mobile. I thanked her, and left.

I've scoured the t-mobile site(as well as AT&T) but I'm not seeing and voice+data & test plans for under $50, have they all dried up? My brother is telling me about Consumer Cellular, here's a screenshot of what they offer:

consumercellular.png

Consumer Cellular uses AT&T, not sure how they can offer no contract plans cheaper than AT&T.

I got the 100 minute / 5GB-4G+unlimited-2G / unlimited texts plan via the tmobile website.
They don't advertise it anywhere, but it still exists.
Here are the no-contract options:

cell-plan.png

This looks like what you're referring to, Bobnova:

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

They are calling it "Pay by the Day" plans, offering $30 per month, 100 minutes talk | Unlimited text | First 5GB at up to 4G speeds.

If the $30 per month is the total amount of the plan, then I can definitely live with that.

wait a minute, still looking for the "by the month" deals.

It's listed below the pay/day plans, but it isn't a pay/day. It's a monthly recurring $30, I just hit month2 on it.

It's listed below the pay/day plans, but it isn't a pay/day. It's a monthly recurring $30, I just hit month2 on it.

Thanks Bobnova, that is actually what I what seeing, but confusing with the pay-per-day above.

Now, I'm using Google Chrome, Version 26.0.1410.64 m but I don't see any actual way to choose the monthly plan; am I going to have to do a live chat to place that order, or...?

Edit: I'm thinking that t-mobile's site is not going to make choosing & ordering easy, for someone who does not have an existing account. :bang head

Last edited:
You mentioned file management. Unfortunately from what I can tell the nexus 4 doesn't have a standard stock file manager. I personally use astro file manager. It's free with small ads. Works well enough. Allows you to copy within the phone for new songs you might download and want as ringtone as you need to copy the files into said ringtone folder in order for them to become available to use as such and come up in the selection.

Nexus 4 is a nice phone though I like mine and considering my last HTC desire hd lasted me two years, I don't see me replacing this in the next couple years. Just don't need a much faster phone than this.

Here is another screeny showing that yes, t-mobile does have a $30per month 100 minutes/unlimited/unlimited plan:

tmobileplans.jpg

However, finding a way to make that choice remains elusive.

I've still got two months on contract left with Verizon, so I've got plenty of time to shop.

If t-mobile doesn't want my business, I'll surely find a carrier that does.

Nice choice Tim...Now you can learn about App drawers, Launchers, and choice! :beer:

If you want we can all chip in with must have "Free" Apps. Like the flashlight app for instance. Feel free to hit us up with newb questions....we are at your service!

Back