• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No Controll over BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snelan

I am having a very weird problem with BIOS. I did a restart last night and suddenly I have no keyboard (USB or PS/2) input until it gets to the OS. Once in the OS, things work great. This wouldn't really bother me as I'm gonna get the Crosshair IV Mobo for x-mas, but for the mean time, I can't OC, can't run my SSD in AHCI (it's currently running in IDE). One thing I have noticed though, is when I unplug my USB keyboard, it auto passes the screen you get after resetting the CMOS ("CMOS Settings Are Wrong" Screen). Any suggestions?

Note - This is out of the blue, I didn't change any settings at all or add/remove hardware.

Heres the things I've already tried:
-Resetting CMOS
-3 Different Keyboards
-Different USB Ports
-Restarting (MANY TIMES)
-Letting it sit with power off
-Taking CMOS battery out
-Replacing CMOS Battery
-Letting it sit with power on
-Checking for shorts in the screws of the mobo (There were none)
-Checking that all hardware is ok (it was)
-Flashing BIOS from OS (Upon restart I get no signal to the screen)

I also have AMI BIOS Version 1.80 if it helps
Also, the lights on my keyboard are lighting up so it's getting power

So, old but not ancient. And you've tried (at least twice in a row) to boot with a known good PS/2 keyboard (the PS/2 keyboard works once Windows starts) and no luck there - doubtful it's USB related, then.

Maybe the +5v circuit is drooping a little on start-up. It's the only thing I can think of off-hand ...

So, old but not ancient. And you've tried (at least twice in a row) to boot with a known good PS/2 keyboard (the PS/2 keyboard works once Windows starts) and no luck there - doubtful it's USB related, then.

Maybe the +5v circuit is drooping a little on start-up. It's the only thing I can think of off-hand ...

Yea, I tested it with a different PSU though, and another PS/2. I'm thinking I'll just deal with it untill I get the Crosshair IV. Should I get the Extreme or the Formula?

Just as a wild guess I'd say it's a bad cap either in the keyboard circuitry somewhere or the +5v circuitry (doesn't have to be the PSU).

Unless you plan on running multiple nVidia cards or mixing nVidia with ATi there's really no good reason (IMO) to spend the extra on the Extreme ...

Back