• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No performance boost from upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sounds like a reformat/re-install is in order. Download nvidia drivers for your chipset and latest drivers from ati and save them to cd prior to the reformat/reinstall.

Overclocker550 said:
why are you arguing about fsb, if his barton isnt locked he can just raise the fsb anyway but then again why didnt he just go a64

Hmm This doesnt make sense. Maybe you meant "if his barton IS locked".... Since you can raise the FSB on locked or unlocked barton.

As far as him having an unlocked barton 3000, I think the odds are not good since they were locked since week 39 (?) of last year.

Quattro said:
Hey football,

Why wouldn't you overclock that system?

Because it should be fast enough as is. I'm sure when he is ready for a video upgrade, there will be more faster options (GT comes to mind) than a 9800PRO. For that matter, twice as fast. If he has bought a system to just do benchmarks, then yes...He should overclock and get the fastest video card he can get, but that seems too obvious. ;)

Overclocker550 said:
did you install motherboard drivers? you wont hit 15k with your cpu, you need an a64 for that. also your 9600xt isnt that fast, slower than ti4200 in some games and slower than a 9500np with red pcb and L shape ram. you should have gone a64, it would be way faster than your barton. sell what you got an get an a64 and a 9700 pro or better

show me a single game where a ti4200 at stock beats even a 9600 pro at stock.

Im tired off ppl saying 9600s ect wont cut it. 80% of all ppl with comps have gpus slower then gf4mxs and they couldnt be happier with running games just fine at mid to low settings.

My 9600pro has played everything really well ( including Doom 3, 1024X768 on medium) without a single noticable frame lag throughout the entire game). BUT, I do want a 9800pro w/360 core :drool: .

twobit326 said:
Wow! I didn't expect all the response! But thanx! I haven't re-formatted. (I've been planning to do it for a year now, but I'm doing it soon. :( ) I'm right now installing the Nvdia driver.

My mobo is new because my screwdriver had a fight with my processor heatsink fan and the screwdriver won. (Suprise) So I got a new heat sink. While installling the new heat sink my screwdriver "accidentaly" slipped and took out my mobo. (It needed an upgrade anyways) I didin't know it was broke at the time so I ended up getting a new Power supply, new processor fan, and a new mobo; the ABIT An7. This was only about 4 months ago. I also did an amazing widows XP Repair install based on the fact that I had SP1 and the CD didn't. *I wasn't able to back anything up before I fried mobo.*

My processor is 333mhz clock. I haven't tried any overclocking, but I didn't expect to have to with this setup. I didn't want to get a Athlon 64 because that would require a new mobo and in essence more money. Which I didn't plan to spend. I like my radeon 9600XT and (before I start a huge argument over this) it scores simi close to a radeon 9700., and at the time (last christmas) it was a much better buy.

Also, my mobo does allow unlocked overclocking, (In fact, it's a wonderful board to do so) but all my options on ram are the timings, which I don't seem to have set at optimal. (If anyone knows the timings for 512 meg KIngston ValueRAM 3200 DDR ram that would be great!)

Well anyways, thanx for the support! YOu guys are great. I'll be gone 3 days but after that I can reply to any other questions you guys have.

-Twobit326

As i agree the 9600xt is great cheap videocard it doesnt score semi close to the 9700pro, the 9700pro completetly blows it outa the water, im not just talking about 3dmark im talking about everysingle video game. Going off what iv seen from 9600's you will probly get around 14k-16k at the max when overclocking the video card and cpu.

9600's were cheap/slow ways to get ridd of the expensive 9500's 9700's The 9500's are even faster then the 9600's. So when you ugraded youre system going from a 1800+ to a 3000+ was a pretty big upgrade but it isnt ganan give a huge boost in 3dmark like you were expecting, In 3dmark01 that test is more cpu/fsb hungry, 3dmark05 and 3dmark03 are more dependant on youre video card, so even when upgrading to an A64 you wont notice much a score increase, that will have to be done with a video card upgrade. Im not trying to bash ya here im just giving you the truth

Last edited:
thanks for the advice guys. I have one question though. Because I've got a Radeon 9600XT I got a free cvopy of HL2 (FEEL THE ENVY :eek: ) But if I reformat will it let me download it again? I just don't want to get screwed out of 50 bucks.

Any fatherly/motherly advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Twobit326

P.S. Radeon 9600XT isn't cheap. It's basically an undrerclocked 9700 with less pipelines. (If I remember correctly)

YOu will just have to find out for yourself?

In all this time, you could have reformatted and made a book about what you did. Just read and tweak that system, there are other's that score higher than you with that card with lesser stuff.

Remember what this is about. Making more out of what you have, not what you could have. Don't even see how anything about video cards popped up, when you asked about getting the most out of what you have now.

Some on this thread keep stating the freaking obvious, that a 256bit 8 pipe card will perform better than a 4 pipe 128bit card..DUH!! :eh?:

Now be happy with what you got, and enjoy this read.;)

http://www.tweakzone.nl/extreviews/1845

After you read that(review), think about what the guy above you posted.:)

Last edited:
Back