• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noctua 140mm fans vs Corsair led af 140 for positive airflow?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikesamo

hi i have an sli 1070 setup and my top card runs super hot . i have 2 140 corsair leds at the front and 1 at the rear as exhaust . I feel like the fans are weak and dont do a good job since i feel barely any air reaching the gpus . are noctuas worth it ? will they fix the problem
heres what my setup looks like with the current 13895461_1226220710770991_5608485329926752277_n.jpg

Noctua industrialPPC 2000RPM PWM with a Swiftech PWM splitter. Control them off the motherboard PWM header.

what he said. but what you really need is a 140mm fan in the side panel right next to the cards sucking out. use a template or something to trace the cut lines and bring it to a machine shop.

thank you both for your response . I swapped my 2 fans with noctuas and as I was expecting the difference was minor. I borrowed the fans from a friend who lives nearby and I gave them back to him. looks like its time to watercool my cards

I highly doubt water cooling is a necessity. What are the ambient temps in your room? Have you tried switching the cards around? I'll assume the front fans are intake and rear is exhaust. It's hard to tell from that pic but it looks like another intake at bottom?

EDIT: I just read a review on the Amp Extreme. I know it's not identical to yours but it may serve as a good reference point. It seems they used a decent amount of TIM and the contact was more than adequate. They did mention that the fans only spin when under heavy load. Have you verified that they are spinning. Sounds funny I know but I'm just trying to cover all the basics.

Last edited:
thank you both for your response . I swapped my 2 fans with noctuas and as I was expecting the difference was minor. I borrowed the fans from a friend who lives nearby and I gave them back to him. looks like its time to watercool my cards

What Noctua fans though???

My AF140 fans move quite a lot of air. I'm guessing there's another part of the equation missing (especially since the Noctua didn't change anything).
The two intake are both on the front? Looks like a fan on the bottom as well?
Do you have filters over intake or exhaust?
I'm guessing you need more airflow in the case in general. Do you have an option for exhaust on top too?

My AF140 fans move quite a lot of air. I'm guessing there's another part of the equation missing (especially since the Noctua didn't change anything).
The two intake are both on the front? Looks like a fan on the bottom as well?
Do you have filters over intake or exhaust?
I'm guessing you need more airflow in the case in general. Do you have an option for exhaust on top too?

2 140mm Intake . 140mm bottom blowing up . there's a 140mm on the h240x as exhaust and a 140mm exhaust at the rear of the case

So I'm getting this right:
3 140mm intake fans unrestricted, no filters or anything?
2 140mm exhaust fans, one blowing through a radiator and one unrestricted?
All five fans are AF140's?

If that's the case, you might just need better options to exhaust the air in the case.
If you have the option, maybe try two SP140 (or similar) on the radiator as the AF140 is more of a case fan.
The H240X is meant for two 140mm fans correct?

the fans are spinning at a 100 % on both cards . when removing one or the other it drops down to 65c and 60 % fan speed . sli is really heating things up
the h240x has mounts for 3 fans . 2 on the top side and one optional at the bottom . I have the stock helix 2x140mm fans on the top sucking air from the radiator outside the case . and a corsair af 140mm sucking air from the case into the radiator . theres no filters
the only option i see as far as exhuasting air is a faster rpm fan at the exhuast but honestly how much will it cool things down ?

This is really a SPOT cooling issue. All the airflow in the world (within reason) won't get that heat away from between the cards. You either needs DIRECT airflow right at them or exhausting out that side...

This is really confusing with two seperate threads essentially talking about the same thing....

This is really a SPOT cooling issue. All the airflow in the world (within reason) won't get that heat away from between the cards. You either needs DIRECT airflow right at them or exhausting out that side...

This is really confusing with two seperate threads essentially talking about the same thing....

it sure is a spot cooling issue . i,ll focus on trying to space the cards more and i,ll update the zotac amp thread. you can delete this thread if you want

If i read the other thread correctly, you can't move the cards because those are your only x8 slots?
Thinking out loud here, but if you turn off the fan from the bottom, will it help get air to the cards any better?
If the cards cant move, is it an option to cut the case side to add a fan blowing right on the cards?

The ideal scenario for this is to sell both 1070's and get a single 1080. I'm sure that's not what you want to hear, but it's the truth.

The ideal scenario for this is to sell both 1070's and get a single 1080. I'm sure that's not what you want to hear, but it's the truth.

my 2 1070s stomp on a single 1080 . the 1080 pricing makes no sense if you think about it. maybe if a 1080ti comes out I'll consider it

I take it you are playing at 4K res and require such horsepower? I don't recall if you have mentioned that before, your signature doesn't say anything... etc. :)

If its single monitor 2560x1440, a 1080 is a great card there which will last for years. 1080p, a single 1070 is plenty for years. Our advice is to not use multiple GPUs wherever possible. In most cases this is high refresh gaming or 4K.

Last edited:
I take it you are playing at 4K res and require such horsepower? I don't recall if you have mentioned that before, your signature doesn't say anything... etc. :)

If its single monitor 2560x1440, a 1080 is a great card there which will last for years. 1080p, a single 1070 is plenty for years. Our advice is to not use multiple GPUs wherever possible. In most cases this is high refresh gaming or 4K.

I have 1440p high refresh rate :)

what he said. but what you really need is a 140mm fan in the side panel right next to the cards sucking out. use a template or something to trace the cut lines and bring it to a machine shop.

+1. You really need to have 140mm fan on side either as intake for fresh "colder" air or exhausting the hot air. I've tried both methods on my SLI 780s. I came to conclusion that SLI configs are just going to run much hotter, esp. the top card that is sandwiched between the CPU and bottom GPU. Unless ofc the CPU is under water. Even then with such close spacing between the 2 GPUs, there isn't much room for the hot air to go...

Back