• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How does the NH-U14S compare with the Hyper 212? Do I need to delid i7 8700k with the NH-U14S to run 5.0GHz? With the NH-D15 can you install and remove memory without removing the heatsink?

How does the NH-U14S compare with the Hyper 212? Do I need to delid i7 8700k with the NH-U14S to run 5.0GHz? With the NH-D15 can you install and remove memory without removing the heatsink?

wingman, data in the article explicitly details what the hardware setup is and the temperatures the NH-U14S kept the system at.
NH-D15 compatibility is explicitly reliant on what motherboard and RAM will be used, that sounds like a thread in and of its own for you.

As atminside said, the test setup was set forth in the article. I did not delid the i7 8700K. I found I had to drop the cache speed to 4.5 GHz to stay at 5 ghz. But then I am running AVX 2 on that chip. Most people set their OC to x - 1 AVX. I tried Linpack with AVX and it runs cooler than Linpack with AVX2. I think the OC would be the equivlent of 5.2 GHz - 1 AVX. And none of this needs a delidding.

Compare the U14S with the 212? The 212 has only four heatpipes. The Noctua has six. Of course a six-heatpipe heatsink will out-cool a four-heatpipe heatsink at these temps. They are not in the same league.

Compare the U14S with the 212? The 212 has only four heatpipes. The Noctua has six. Of course a six-heatpipe heatsink will out-cool a four-heatpipe heatsink at these temps. They are not in the same league.
I find it interesting that this question became such an issue for you guys considering how many people use the 212. My first thought when I saw this cooler was how it compares to the 212 I currently use. Noctua products generally come at a premium and this is no exception at $65.00 so I think asking how it compares to the 212 is a valid question for nothing else than to justify the extra cost.

I find it interesting that this question became such an issue for you guys considering how many people use the 212. My first thought when I saw this cooler was how it compares to the 212 I currently use. Noctua products generally come at a premium and this is no exception at $65.00 so I think asking how it compares to the 212 is a valid question for nothing else than to justify the extra cost.
I hear you about the cost. But all 6-8 heatpipe designs cost this and more, sometimes much more. As a reviewer and because I own two NH-D14's that I bought, I was interested in seeing if the HN-U14S was any better. It was. Mind-blowing.

In general, 6-heatpipe designs cool better than four-heatpipe designs because they can carry more heat from the contact plate to the finstack.

I have had two 90mm Noctua heatsinks in my hands and 120mm heatsinks in addition to the 140mm heatsinks. So I have had a lot of experience with their heatsinks as well as the many others I have reviewed (the collection of reviews is here). The Noctua heatsinks have been top performers and use the best construction techniques. I come from a cynical era so I expect a device to show its prowess and not coast on its hype. I have not had the opportunity to review a 212, but I am waiting for CM to send me one.

Last edited:
I'm with you on performance better equal the price. That's why I wondered about the performance versus the 212 which is half the price. I would expect it to be a big improvement for that much of a premium.

Great review btw. I don't want you to think I'm bashing your review. Just my curious side peaking out.

Last edited:
I'm with you on performance better equal the price. That's why I wondered about the performance versus the 212 which is half the price. I would expect it to be a big improvement for that much of a premium.

Great review btw. I don't want you to think I'm bashing your review. Just my curious side peaking out.
No offense taken. We just couldn't put everything in the review. The results at 4.9 GHz, for example, differ from results at 5 GHz. What we published are results at the bleeding edge of what heatsinks can cool. More on that when someone sends me a 4-pipe heatsink. Stay tuned.

As atminside said, the test setup was set forth in the article. I did not delid the i7 8700K. I found I had to drop the cache speed to 4.5 GHz to stay at 5 ghz. But then I am running AVX 2 on that chip. Most people set their OC to x - 1 AVX. I tried Linpack with AVX and it runs cooler than Linpack with AVX2. I think the OC would be the equivlent of 5.2 GHz - 1 AVX. And none of this needs a delidding.

Good article.:)
Do you have LinX 0.6.5 in a windows Zip file that you could post or link to? This is my i5 8600k at 5.0GHz with a hyper 212 and running LinX 0.6.4 at 22c ambient. It does not have hyper thread so I don't know exactly how much more heat the i7 8700k would be running LinX.

LinX 0.6.4 5.0GHz.jpg

Well, you are running at 5 GHz, but you are getting only 90-111 GFlops from your OC, which would be low for an i7 8700k. But I don't know about the i5 8600k. You are doing fairly well getting that much GFlops while running such a low max core temp. Running LinX 0.6.5 at 5 GHz with Vcore = 1.37v, I was getting max core temps 92-99c, which is close to the throttling point. My suspicion is that LinX 0.6.4 uses AVX2 on its Linpack, like 0.6.5, but don't hold me to that.

Clearly, you were doing something that stole GFlops from your LinX run. As for 0.6.5, try this (http://www.npackd.org/p/org.xtremesystems.LinX/0.6.5 Firefox). Note the link is to npackd.org, but the DL is from GitHub, which is why I would trust it.

Good luck. I like what you are doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a error on the link. Yes I was using the PC during the test, it lowered the temperature by 2c. I'm just doing a rough comparison to your review with hyper 212, and i5 8600k.

That looks like good cooling with the NH-U14S at 5.0GHz with a vcore of 1.37v. My processor at 5.0GHz runs low Vcore at maximum of 82c, 1.284v Vcore with linX. I use dynamic Vcore, so running 5.0Ghz, Realbench it is a maximum of 90c, 1.308v Vcore.

I got a error on the link. . . . That looks like good cooling with the NH-U14S at 5.0GHz with a vcore of 1.37v. My processor at 5.0GHz runs low Vcore at maximum of 82c, 1.284v Vcore with linX. I use dynamic Vcore, so running 5.0Ghz, Realbench it is a maximum of 90c, 1.308v Vcore.
You will have to cast about for a good link. I don't know how to package what I have.

Your experience with adaptive voltage reflects everybody's experience with adaptive voltage. Your high is fine, but you can see why I went with a fixed voltage before I reached the OC.

You will have to websearch to find 0.6.5, I think.

A thought: PM me with an email address, preferably with Gmail. I'll see if I can attach and send my copy of LinX-0.6.5.7z.

Last edited:
There is one of these coolers on the way to me but TR version. Should arrive this week. Worse is that CPU and mobo will arrive in a week so I will test it in about 2 weeks.

There is one of these coolers on the way to me but TR version. Should arrive this week. Worse is that CPU and mobo will arrive in a week so I will test it in about 2 weeks.
From what I can tell the TR version is the same as the mainstream version, but with a different contact arrangment.

Pretty much larger base to cover the IHS and not much more. TR is not so popular and not many brands designed coolers for this socket so I'm glad that Noctua has something interesting. I see in your review that performance is good and should handle higher wattage CPUs without issues. NH-U14S for TR is specified for 180W+ while two others are for 180W, like OC is not recommended. I will test all 3 and will find out :)

@ehume I fixed the link in your post for linx above (it was including (bless firefox) in the link)

Ah. I misunderstood. The answer is 'maybe.' You have to try lifting that arm with the bracket in place. Luckily, if the arm will not lift with the bracket in place (I seem to recall this is the case), the bracket is easily removed. It actually works better with the motherboard held vertically. I know this because I do all my testing with a motherboard tray from the be quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro case, so I can move it from horizontal to vertically very easily.

The nuts have a Phillips head; so use a magnetic screwdriver to remove them. Then take off the bracket. The spacers are loose, so remove them with your fingers. You may or may not wish to pull off the backplate. Mind the orientation and the screw heads on the socket's backside. You may wish to leave it, but don't be afraid to take it off.

I'll pay attention the next time I change mounts. I have done this many times and the Noctua is still the easiest.

Last edited:
Back