• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NOOB AMD FX8120 BLACK, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chris1984

Good Evening gentlemen & women for those of you out there.

I like to firstly appoligies for this question it might have been answered else where but i have yet to find, I am having trouble with both the overclocking software from ASUS and AMD,it doesn't seem to be correctly stating memory locations and secondly i have yet to figure out how to set the memory to 1600mhz, as cpu-z state 800mhz fsb:dram 1:4(how do i correct this).

Does any have anyone have a guide as software on OC for this mobo, could explain the basics to me.

I would also like to state that i am a noob at overclocking, but understand the fundelmentals.

So system spec,

I have recently purchased
MOBO:ASUS M5A7L-M/USB3
PROC:AMD FX8120 BLACK
COOLER:ARCTIC 7 FREEZER
MEM:8GB 2X4GB 9:9:9:24 1.5V CORSAIR VENGEANCE LP

Thanks for any help

Welcome to the forums Chris....

doesn't seem to be correctly stating memory locations and secondly i have yet to figure out how to set the memory to 1600mhz, as cpu-z state 800mhz fsb:dram 1:4(how do i correct this).

You dont need to fix this as it is set at 1600MHZ. Keep iin mind DDR3 Dual channel ram will show as 800 per channel. Just add them up to get the frequency you are running at.

I am having trouble with both the overclocking software from ASUS and AMD

This is not surprising as very few people here will advocate Overclocking your CPU via Software. They just seem to cause more trouble and stability issues. If you have an intrest on how to Leaarn to OC your system you came to the right place as there are a few people here that are very good at teaching you just how to do it propperly.

1. 800Mhz = 1600Mhz DDR (DOUBLE Data Rate). Your memory is set fine.
2. In my signature is a guide to AMD overclocking, I would check that out, though it is through the bios, not software. As mentioned, I would go through the bios.

Welcome to the forums Chris....

You dont need to fix this as it is set at 1600MHZ. Keep iin mind DDR3 Dual channel ram will show as 800 per channel. Just add them up to get the frequency you are running at.

This is not surprising as very few people here will advocate Overclocking your CPU via Software. They just seem to cause more trouble and stability issues. If you have an intrest on how to Leaarn to OC your system you came to the right place as there are a few people here that are very good at teaching you just how to do it propperly.

Thank guys for getting back to me so quick, much apprieciated.

So let me get my head round this because dual rate/channel it's it will show up as 800mhz in CPU-Z. I just thought it would show up as 1600mhz.

I just thought it would show up as 1600mhz. Ah yep you thunked so but it ain't so. CPUz shows 800 and double it for 1600 equals DDR1600.

Dual channel has no effect on the memory frequency. It does have a beneficial effect on memory performance because it increases efficiency.

CPU-z does not report the DDR3 transfer rate. It reports the DDR bus rate which is half the DDR3 transfer rate.

Back