• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob installing 840 Pro and 840 EVO SSD need help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No, your drivers should all be on the same drive as your os. They won't take up that much space. The biggest my be your video card drivers. You can use Ccleaner after your install. One thing you can do, is reduce the percentage your restore points take up on your ssd. I believe the default is 5%. I have mine set to 1%, but that only leaves me 2-3 restore points.

Thanks minimart7 :) So far things are working and MSI has a utility to do the stress tests, so I think it's going well so far. Just one error msg on intel rapid start that doesn't seem to work, one noisy fan on my case and that's about it at the moment. Going to install the graphic drivers now.

Thanks, I'll have to check that. Also noticed win-7 does not recognize my second SSD so am going to swap sata cables and if that doesn't work, plug into another sata header. This board has six sata 3 headers so hopefully I can get it working. Strange thing is that BIOS detects the 2nd drive.

Edit:

Got 2nd SSD working now as had to format that drive.

Thanks everyone for the help in getting me going, I sincerely appreciate it :) My first build seems stable, passed a few stress tests and with the SSD's it's blazing fast. It boots in 9.42 seconds now and can instantly go online. If anyone has tips to boot even faster, I'd love to know just for kicks and work on it.

Last edited:
I think I posted too soon :D My new build has become unstable today, 24 hours later.

Deleted the other two dupes.

Please keep things on the same subject to ONE thread please! This all about installing your drives and the os, right? Thanks! :)

yeah, sorry about that. Went into panic mode and started another thread. A few weird things happened so I installed win-7 again and everything is working now I think. I used Rog Realbench 2.2 to do a benchmark but not sure where to post my marks to see how off they are and how to optimize my system and after that stress test it. Should I just post them in this thread and go from there? I did ask this a moment ago in the benchmark thread as I'm pretty new and not sure where to post. Would be great if I could just keep it all in this thread and maybe a few of you could get a laugh at my beginner stumbling blocks but I have to start somewhere :)

Do these Rog RealBench marks look ok for my system? Some scores look really low.

Asus Benchmark score.png

I would be using other benchmark tools. Use this, instead of what the manufacturer provided. The benchmark you are using is not widely used.

Last edited:
Is that just for GPU? My MSI board came with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility but I was told to use Rog RealBench as it throws different instructions, instead of a loop, to test the whole system, that's why I used it.

OK, thanks will have a good look around there then. I just ran Unigine Benchmark and this is what I got. Not sure what the results mean but it sure looked good on my monitor. I'm not a gamer "yet" but those games look very addictive. Think I need to hide them from my wife :D

Unigine Heaven Benchmark Results.png

That's a good score for your card, I'm glad my wife is not remotely interested in gaming :)

:) Me too, could get expensive or she'll just outright ignore me....oh, she does that anyway! Hey thanks, that's good to know that the score was decent. Everything on my first build seems to be stable and working well, so I'm going to leave it alone for now and have some fun.

Back