• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob question (can I smell burning?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nah, I think the P4 will run hot anyway as the fan is thermally controlled, i.e. running at a reduced speed and you have a thick thermal interface from the pad.

My AMD Athlon XP2000 ran at a toasty 70C using the AMD standard heatsink and pad.

ok. so i'll get some thermal paste,decent heatsink/fan,and decent psu and in theory I should be home and dry? Is it worth gettin another fan while I'm at it? Questions questions questions:)

I've just read the definitive cooling guide, notably this...

"When building an effective cooling system you have to take into account the affects pressure has on a case, positive pressure (more airflow entering) will create a pressure of cool air and less dust will accumulate, however negative pressure (more airflow exhausting) with be exhausting more air than is available and thus as a result increases the dust level.
Therefore positive pressure is often the most preferred.
To achieve this simply have more air arriving than leaving!"

Taking into account I have a slight accumulation of dust in my case, maybe I do need more air in the case itself.

It sure sucks being a noob, i'm gonna un-noob myself and read everything I can lay my beedy little eyes on...

The Intel retail heatsink is OK if you sand the base flat and modify it to run at full speed, but otherwise it will do the job.

Good PSUs are hard to find for cheap in the UK.

Look for Channel Well, Antec, FSP/Fortron/Sparkle, High power. These PSUs will not destroy your computer and will actually deliver their rated load. Pretty much anything generic is to be avoided, as well as Q-tec.

www.scan.co.uk
www.overclock.co.uk
www.tekheads.co.uk

Best bet for another fan would be a Thermaltake Smart Case Fan II. 80mm and variable from quiet to uber loud.

Excellent. thanks. I don't know how to modify it to run at full speed at the moment though.

Thanks for the buying tips, will purchase my heart out later.

InsecTMutant said:
I've just read the definitive cooling guide, notably this...

"When building an effective cooling system you have to take into account the affects pressure has on a case, positive pressure (more airflow entering) will create a pressure of cool air and less dust will accumulate, however negative pressure (more airflow exhausting) with be exhausting more air than is available and thus as a result increases the dust level.
Therefore positive pressure is often the most preferred.
To achieve this simply have more air arriving than leaving!"

Taking into account I have a slight accumulation of dust in my case, maybe I do need more air in the case itself.

It sure sucks being a noob, i'm gonna un-noob myself and read everything I can lay my beedy little eyes on...

Im not trying to hijack the thread, but the "jury is still out" on this statement. Server chassis, and AMDs system cooling guidelines recommend/implement fans sucking hot air out, with zero or minimal intake fans

No, it's not just paste or is it, i was under the impression that you get a type of paste with the retail p4 heatsink.

As for the AMD cooling guidelines recs...erm, I'll just go with the tried and tested theory for now. Like what do i know. Except what I read from reputable sources. Interesting none the less.

Last edited:
cobray said:
Im not trying to hijack the thread, but the "jury is still out" on this statement. Server chassis, and AMDs system cooling guidelines recommend/implement fans sucking hot air out, with zero or minimal intake fans

The pictures in these documents do not portray any intake fans, but this does not mean that intake fans will not improve performance in many systems.

The AMD recommendations are for systems where CPU temperature above ambient is a non issue. But sometimes 5-10C cooler can improve an overclock and this makes case cooling and CPU cooling much more important.

AMD's case cooling recommendations are accurately depicted in these PDF documents:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/cooling_guide.pdf

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/23794.pdf

Last edited:
:cool: Okay, I've cleaned the cpu & HS wiv Tim-Clean,lapped stock HS,remounted wiv AS5. New Antec PSU, case fans replaced wiv Smart Case 2's (2in 1out).

I'm looking at 37C idle, 53C load. How is this for a P4 3.06?

Although there seems to be considerate air moving around the case, and it sounds like a gun ship, mbm5 is telling me a case temp of 34C, and that's wiv 1 side of case off.

Gigabyte ET4 is telling me the CPU fan is spinning round at a rather sedate 1480rpm.

How do we feel about this?:rolleyes: *loody noobs

Temp is a bit better, sounds like an improved HSF wouldn't hurt though.

Is it stable now with the new PSU?

Your case temp still seems a bit sultry - 93 F. Any idea on room temp?

Aiii, t'is stable under load. No probs there now....[crash]:D

My case temp is reading 30C today with sides on case. The room temp has decreased compared to last night but I havent got a device to measure it yet (as a rough guide it feels comfortable,not hot,not cold...average room temp i reckon). Obviously the case temp will partly depend on the room temp. I guess I'll need to measure my room temp to confirm if my case temp is good/bad.

So a decent HSF is a good idea... Just the fan or both, do ya reckon? quite strange that this standard HSF is turning so slowly.

Thanks IMOG, appreciate ya help:)

The rooms temp (ambient) is the floor of your cooling.Add to that
all of the devices that create heat thru the use of electricity.This is
what has to be dissapated.The cooler the room ie case temps,the HS can disapate or obsorb the heat better.THE FANMAN:cool:

PS: It's getting there,it takes time to make fine wine!

Back