• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NooB question: Is there a way to allow Dynamic on-demand Overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Desertsweeper

Registered
SO I final rolled up my covid-unemployed sleeves and decided to overclock my i7-8700K. I poured over threads here and bought what I needed and tinkered away for days. All went very well and I easily reach a very stable all-core overclock of 4.8 Ghz which really boosts my PC's usability. But it ALWAYS runs at that speed...Am I missing something or is there a way to have it idle where it is supposed to at 3.7 Ghz, and then on demand, do an all-core (sustained) boost to 4.8? If I am just browsing the 'net or in the bathroom, I don't need it devouring power and spinning up fans like crazy. But when I go to render a YouTube video I want it to run full-tilt at 4.8 Ghz. I would appreciate anyone's comments.
My system if it helps:
Asus Prime Z370-A with i7-8700K
4 x Crucial Ballistix Sport LT BLS2K8G4D240FSB 2400 MHz 8GB Modules
1TB Samsung NVMe

In your bios make sure you have EIST (enhanced intel speed step) turned on. This will allow the CPU to downclock when not in use then turbo when needed.

Thank you BOTH for your amazing suggestions - it was the combination of both that worked. It now idles at 800Mhz and all-core boosts tp 4.8 under load. Absolute genius! Much gratitude

Back