• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Northbridge Cooling on P4C800-E Deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hondamanslim

Registered
I was wondering if anyone knew what an optimal temp for my northbridge should be? I have P4C800-E Deluxe and i have a thermal moniter with a temp gauge located on the factory heatsink. I reads approx. 41 to 44 degrees C. I can get it as low as 39 deg. with a 120 mm case fan on full blast. Seems hot to me anyone have any advice??

hondamanslim
3.0e ghz running stock
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
2048mb Corsair Twinx 3200C2 pro (4x512)
Lian Li PC7A-plus with silverline adjustable 120mm rear fan
Thermalright XP-90C heatsink with 92mm thermaltake cat fan
Ultra X connect 500w
ATI Radeon X850 XT 256mb

Last edited:
I have an socket 370 hs & fan Mounted on my northbridge which keeps it cool.I dont have a sensor on it ,but my motherboard temps at idle stay within a degree or two of ambient temp.If all you have is a hs I would recommend something with a fan.Good case airflow is also crucial.Also how many fans do you have for intake & exhaust ??
btw welcome to the forums !!!!!!!!

I'd say to mount a small fan on it (40mm)

Check out the thread in my sig (GF5600 fan modded onto the NB)

btw,

Welcome to the Overclockers Forums!

hondamanslim said:
I was wondering if anyone knew what an optimal temp for my northbridge should be? I have P4C800-E Deluxe and i have a thermal moniter with a temp gauge located on the factory heatsink. I reads approx. 41 to 44 degrees C. I can get it as low as 39 deg. with a 120 mm case fan on full blast. Seems hot to me anyone have any advice??

hondamanslim
3.0e ghz running stock
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
Ultra X connect 500w
Geforce 256mb 5600 fx

If you have a P4C800-E Dleuxe you should have this passive black heatsink ASUS usually uses. If you mount a little fan right above it (without removing the heatsink) you should get the temps down.

i hand cut a p2 heatsink down and used the HS and fan combo and it worked great for 2 bucks your temps are too high i would use good thermal compound and a homemade or bought HS with a fan

As long as the computer is stable and you have some air flow by it, it is probably unnecessary for a fan. Creating more noise for litle gain. I have a 120mm side fan and it covers the gpu.cpu, and the Northbridge area well.

hondamanslim said:

Unless your using h20 or TEC I believe I have one of the best performing P4C800-E Deluxe northbridge coolers on this forum.

P4C800-E Deluxe Details and pics in this thread, there you will see a counter-rotating 40mm x 50mm fan on a SwiftechMCX159-P.

If you don't want to buy a Swiftech MCX159-P, you could buy this fan and mount it on the P4C800-E passive northbridge heatsink.

If you buy the fan and want a few mounting tips, shoot me an e-mail and I'll help you get this unique fan mounted. (If you look at the pic in the thread above, you will notice there are no screws affixing the fan to the heatsink)

PS, I've never seen you around so I will also say, :welcome: to the forums

Thanks for the advice - I Decded to try the Zalman NB32J cooler. If it still runs hot i may try the Swiftech. When i get it i will let you know how it turned out! :thup:

what about the Microcool Northpole Chipset Cooling Kit?

If it fits on that board.. isent that an excellent option?

I was considering one of these over the Swiftech MCX159-P (but perhaps i was wrong)

not to mention i want one of those fans SSS showed us :p

Maybe i can get one mounted on the Northpole.. lol nope wrong dimensions :(

Why would the northbridge run so hot? With the exception of a new heatsink and fan the rest of the computer is running at stock settings. Maybe the prescott core or the xtra gig of ram???

3.0e ghz running stock
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
(2) 74 gig 10,000 rpm WD raptors in Sata raid 0
Ultra X connect 500w
ATI Radeon X850 XT 256 mb

Last edited:
NB-1C copper version is you can find one or the NB-1 Aluminium version is good too. Dropped 10 degrees off mine. It should survive if you have air blowing on it.

Back