• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Northbridge temps on M5A99FX excessive all the sudden. Literally burning hot!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BuRgLaR

Just noticed today upon case inspection that my NB heatsink was so hot it literally was probably 30 degrees away from burning me. It was at a temperature I probably could not handle my fingers on for more than 2-3 seconds and this causes great concern. I know this 8320 brings on a ton of heat oc'd which my H110 does a very good job of controlling but I am worried about this heat buildup eventually destroying my board. I didn't think too much but a few months ago I replaced my stock side panel on my 942 with the full windowed 932 panel. I am wondering if the loss of this 230mm side panel fan is the cause of all of this heat buildup. I have 2 200mm Megaflows exhausting the top of my cause in addition to the 200 in the front and a 140 in the rear. Where is all this heat coming from on that heatsink and would you recommend that I now find someway to cool my NB/Vrm areas? Socket and Mobo temp sensors are well below worrysome levels even running 1.2Ghz over stock.

Is this normal for this to happen with the loss of a side panel fan and can you recommend anything to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance

Attach a 40/60mm fan to it. Maybe zip ties or dbl sided tape? When I was on AMD I always attached a spare 60mm fan to the NB/Chipset area with zipties. Worked like a charm lowering those temps ;)

I just hung a 92mm fan blowing over my motherboard heatsinks with a couple zip ties strung together. It's an old Zalman silent fan so it barely pushes any air but made a ton of difference.

Yep fans, that's a pretty common problem with FX ans AIO coolers. A lot of the airflow in the socket area is gone. so you need to make some. Here's a pic of a couple little fans tied to the H/S

vrm fans.jpg

Back