• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Northwood Safe Voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

debovenk2002

I have a Pentium 2.4B and am looking for a safe voltage for 3Ghz.
Whats is the Maximum voltage you would run a Northwood at?

My System:
Asus P4B533-E, Pentium 4 2.4B, 256MB Corsair XMS PC-2700, Maxtor 60GB, Pionneer 16x DVD-ROM, HP 9100i CD-RW, Enermax 350 Watt Whisper PS, Soundblaster Live! Plantnum, Coolermaster ATC-201C-SX2

I think I will push it to 1.65 volts thats .15 exta volts over the 1.5 standard. And will see what we get.

gofastman said:
i have seen more then one p4 chip fail at over 1.75 even when they were always cooled to subzero temps

Keep in mind that the processors not only have a Max running temp, but they also have a minimum running temp also. Check out the datasheets on the processors and you will see. I think the lowest temp recommended for a P4 is 5C. For those who don't know what 5C is 5*1.8+32 = 41F.

i disagree alot of people who run the chips at 1.7vcore and higher end up nuking the chips within a yr of o/cing, seems from what i've gathered many people doing the vmod end up frying the chips after awhile, could be a fluke, but i dunno, i wouldnt push the vcore higher than 1.6 volts, but thats just me

I haven't heard of anyone frying a Northy at 1.7v or less. I have heard of many fried Northies from 1.8v or more, when ran over an extended period of time. Generally, the better the cooling, the more voltage you can get away with. The question is, (spoken in my best Clint Eastwood voice) "Do ya feel lucky, punk?"

All right, everybody with an Abit board, is that voltage set in bios, or voltage read on mbm? On most Abit boards there is a 0.05 to 0.1 volt difference. Which one should be the max?

steve

Back