• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not sure I can wait until April refresh. Sanity check please?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

notarat

Since I've been using the 1600x for a couple-to-three weeks now, I've had time to form a decent opinion of it, and I'm of the opinion that it's pretty damn fine. So much so that I am now about 99% certain I'm going to upgrade the 4770K system before the April refresh of the Ryzen.

I don't think my current PSU, an HX1200i has the required cables to support the new CPUs (I bought it over 5 years ago) and I'm, damn near certain that my H110i AIO won't fit the TR4 mobos so those two parts are definitely required upgrades.

Since I'm limiting myself to replacing the AIO, Mobo, CPU, RAM, and PSU, I decided to get the following:
tr1900x.jpg

Why would the HX1200i not have the right cables to power an AM4 motherboard? Motherboard power connectors haven't changed in 5 years. All you need is a 14 pin main power connector and an 8 pin 12v connector for the CPU and some SATA connectors. Oh, and 2x6/8 pin for external GPU. Nothing has changed about that.

That's beautiful! I'm planning on and chip too when I'm upgrading, want to try something new for the next 9 years

Why would the HX1200i not have the right cables to power an AM4 motherboard? Motherboard power connectors haven't changed in 5 years. All you need is a 14 pin main power connector and an 8 pin 12v connector for the CPU and some SATA connectors. Oh, and 2x6/8 pin for external GPU. Nothing has changed about that.

Don't you mean 24 pin main connector? :rofl::chair: Oh there are 3 power connectors so you will need a 4 pin as well as a 8 pin cable.
X399 Taichi(L2).jpg

Last edited:
Like tine vine, new tech needs to mature before jumping in. :D

Whawk, that's a beautiful Mobo! Uh that socket is as big as a 2.5" hard drive!!:clap:

Yeah, that was a typo. I meant to say "a 24 pin main power connector." The X399 has an 8 pin and a 4 pin power for Threadripper but the other Ryzen's just have one 24 pin and one 4/8 pin connector as far as I know. I don't know about the new Ryzen 2000 series coming out but I expect it will be the same. Don't recall OP saying he was intending to go with Threadripper.

Notarat, I would bet that Corsair will ship you a free AM4 adapter for your H110i AIO.

Yeah, that was a typo. I meant to say "a 24 pin main power connector." The X399 has an 8 pin and a 4 pin power for Threadripper but the other Ryzen's just have one 24 pin and one 4/8 pin connector as far as I know. I don't know about the new Ryzen 2000 series coming out but I expect it will be the same. Don't recall OP saying he was intending to go with Threadripper.

Notarat, I would bet that Corsair will ship you a free AM4 adapter for your H110i AIO.

It's not just teh mounting kit I'm concerned with. The die size and heat spreader pretty much dictate a new block design for total coverage and while the AIO I have is okay...I don't think it's up to snuff for the larger die/heat spreader.

Oh yea! I see what you mean. I guess I didn't realize Threadripper had a larger die than the rest of the Ryzen family. I haven't really paid much attention to Threadripper since that would be way overkill for what I do.

I sure as heck would get a nice Noctua air cooler before I would buy any AIO or closed loop cooler. A quality air cooler is a nice piece of engineering while each and every closed loop cooler is a piece of .... Oh, well never mind. ;)

Enermax Liqtech TR4 is a aio with a big cold plate specific for threadripper there are a few reviews on YT . Pretty sure Gamersnexus did a AIR ( built for TR) vs the enermax and you needed a 280+ to really justify not getting the noctua TR hsf .

To the OP what is your use case on this system If only gaming don't bother vs your 4770k not worth it ( may even be worse depending on how you have that I7 clocked and the game you are playing )
If you have a few rigs ( your i7 + the amd 1600 ) there really is no reason to rush and get this gen the next will have a new MB and maybe better (higher) ram support . Wait it out .

Back