• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nothing Special, but it helps temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MechE

I was told that a fan on the back of my CPU would help, so I figured I'd give it a try...
IMG_20130510_100417_605.jpg
It worked! So I figured I'd make something a little smaller and more practical. I made these wires out of some old clothes hangers and bent them to shape. They put enough pressure on the fan to keep it from vibrating and shifting but not too much either. I know that it is closer than it really should be and the center of the fan is a dead flow area, but this little guy drops the temp 9C with the panel off, about 4-5C with it on. I would like to something a little more permanent, but I am hesitant to cut a fan hole into my case panel. Maybe later.

IMG_20130511_211056_552.jpg IMG_20130511_211652_671.jpg IMG_20130511_212214_808.jpg

A variation of that idea can be used if the motherboard tray is solid or if that side panel is not removable. Mount a centrifugal ("blower") fan on the tray just off the side of the motherboard so it blows air across the bottom. Use cereal box cardboard to prototype a nozzle if you need to, then make a more permanent version from plastic.

After doing that little fan I figured I'd see how far I could push my system. I didn't expect much, but I got it from 4.3GHz to 4.5GHz and I am at 59C after 20 minutes of prime. I was hitting 66C without that little guy at 4.3GHz! :D

Attachments

• LilGuy.png
    LilGuy.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 132
  • LilGuy1.png
    LilGuy1.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 132
A variation of that idea can be used if the motherboard tray is solid or if that side panel is not removable. Mount a centrifugal ("blower") fan on the tray just off the side of the motherboard so it blows air across the bottom. Use cereal box cardboard to prototype a nozzle if you need to, then make a more permanent version from plastic.

So I got to tinkering around and found that my case had two spots for 120mm fans behind the front cover and in front of the drive bays. Since I am not using most of the drive bays, I took out a section and I plan on using that area to create some ductwork to direct air from one of these 120mm to the right side of my case and towards the little fan that I have mounted on the back of the CPU. You said to make a prototype out of cardboard and then a more permanent version with plastic, so that is what I am doing. But, what type of plastic and where would I get it from?

McMaster Carr anything thin and cheap would do. Hobby airplane stores have stuff. railroad car hobby stores etc. Find stuff, try it. Heck, even Michaels for craft stuff has things like that. It's a hobby, have fun.

Just get good case fans and try that first. Depending on the case etc, some fans with cases are absolute crap. Read BlueZeros sticky, fans 101.

Might be in the WC forum, dunno.

Cool, already checking out McMaster Carr and found a huge amount of info on plastic types and their uses. Thanks!

I read Bluezero's sticky fans 101 shortly after I joined, fantastic info. The biggest thing for me is working with plastic. I have a welder and tons of metal experience, but nothing when it comes to plastic. All new to me for the most part.

Thanks again for the info, I'll be sorting through this and some ideas and see what I can come up with.

Welding plastic is easy my Machinist who works for me says, "Just turn the heat down, with a bigg assed grin". You'll figure it out. Post a log of course, we wanna see it.

Sheet metal will also work for making a nozzle. (Just take care not to short anything out!) I suggest gluing plastic instead of trying to weld it.

I suppose that if it's out of view (or if you don't care what it looks like), cardboard is sturdy enough to be used permanently...

Sheet metal will also work for making a nozzle. (Just take care not to short anything out!) I suggest gluing plastic instead of trying to weld it.

I suppose that if it's out of view (or if you don't care what it looks like), cardboard is sturdy enough to be used permanently...

A slightly more robust option would be to use foam board and simply tape it together. Like the 1/4 inch thick stuff you can find at Office Depot/Michael's.

plasticard is what id use, bout 1mm thick and sturdy, used for models and such. you could also use some thin acrylic. if you dont want to weld it you could always use hot glue. itll hold it quite strong.

Back