• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Novice Nimble #10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That was done with LN2, just cold water I could hit over 6GHz.
XTu's stress test is basically a form of Prime95 so yest it works. Some people think it's too hard on the CPU but... If you don't pass the test you're not going to score in the benchmark either.
I saw that earlier in your posts about stress testing. Stability is one thing that ,in benching is dependent on the bench. If you can finish the bench mark and get your SS it's stable enough.

What about the frequency one?

To echo what Johan said, you are not looking for stability. You are looking to keep this system together long enough to compete the program. In the case of cpu frequency that means long enough to get a validation file and screenshot. Do not worry about stressing the cpu for stability. Your system will never pass when trying to push for max cpu speed. Just not into Windows and try to validate the speed, if it passes use a program to up the speed and voltages and try again. Keep doing this until you hit a wall and cannot go further. Remember all you are aiming for is max speed not long term stability.

To echo what Johan said, you are not looking for stability. You are looking to keep this system together long enough to compete the program. In the case of cpu frequency that means long enough to get a validation file and screenshot. Do not worry about stressing the cpu for stability. Your system will never pass when trying to push for max cpu speed. Just not into Windows and try to validate the speed, if it passes use a program to up the speed and voltages and try again. Keep doing this until you hit a wall and cannot go further. Remember all you are aiming for is max speed not long term stability.

Okay :D.

Did you load MSI command center. It may work a little better than XTU.

This is all about going as fast as you possibly can and try not to break anything. Stability is for everyday use. That's why a different SSD is recommended because it's not stable and with frequen crashes you WILL corrupt Windows and most likely your BIOS at some point.

Did you load MSI command center. It may work a little better than XTU.

Okay i will try!

This is all about going as fast as you possibly can and try not to break anything. Stability is for everyday use. That's why a different SSD is recommended because it's not stable and with frequen crashes you WILL corrupt Windows and most likely your BIOS at some point.

So, is a 64GB enough? I can buy one that is m.2 but sata3 speed, another option is a SSD that is 128GB sata3 speed too. Which one should i get?

I would get a regular and not M.2 I'm certaing that when I used one of those benching a 980Ti and my 6700k that interfered with the GFX card. Both run on the PCIe lanes and I couldn't get the card as high as I had the previous attempt. At least I "think" that was the problem but you run into all kinds of things when benching.

I would get a regular and not M.2 I'm certaing that when I used one of those benching a 980Ti and my 6700k that interfered with the GFX card. Both run on the PCIe lanes and I couldn't get the card as high as I had the previous attempt. At least I "think" that was the problem but you run into all kinds of things when benching.

I have a sound card, I dont think it messed with the R7 240 overclock cause i got the same speeds before and after i installed the sound card.

My problem, well I think my problem with the 980Ti and M.2 NVMe which runs a lot faster than the sata3 ones were flooding the PCIe bandwidth once I hit just over 1600 on the card.

My problem, well I think my problem with the 980Ti and M.2 NVMe which runs a lot faster than the sata3 ones were flooding the PCIe bandwidth once I hit just over 1600 on the card.

Probably, Just in case, My m.2 slot also supports 2 sata ports if i dont use m.2

- - - Updated - - -

Idk why but my GTX970 submission was deleted, I think its cause i forgot to change the clock and memory speeds, Whoops!

Yes that card is pushed relatively hard and is running a custom bios. I'm also running a stripped OS and a driver that I think works well for that benchmark.

Probably, Just in case, My m.2 slot also supports 2 sata ports if i dont use m.2

- - - Updated - - -

Idk why but my GTX970 submission was deleted, I think its cause i forgot to change the clock and memory speeds, Whoops!

Must have been something to get deleted.
As for drives just get something cheap. SSD is a bit faster but doesn't affect benches too much so eve old platter drives are fine. Just something to use beside your dailyOS drive.

Must have been something to get deleted.
As for drives just get something cheap. SSD is a bit faster but doesn't affect benches too much so eve old platter drives are fine. Just something to use beside your dailyOS drive.

Ohhh damn it! I didnt saw that the m.2 drive wasnt 64 but was 32!, Well, That is off the list now.. I think ill get this: Corsair Force LS CSSD-F120GBLS-BK 120GB SSD Sata III MLC Drive cause 64GB drives are not worth the money (If i add another 12$ i get a 120GB drive.)

Same thing here the price difference isn't worth it. With a 120 you can make 3 partitions so you can have XP/Vista and 7 on the same drive for testing benches

If doing a multi OS install like this always start with XP so the other OS can pick it up and create your boot list. There are some good guides here for making OS installs a bit quicker using flash drives. Saves you some time.

If doing a multi OS install like this always start with XP so the other OS can pick it up and create your boot list. There are some good guides here for making OS installs a bit quicker using flash drives. Saves you some time.

Im always installing my OSs with a USBstick lol, But thanks :)

I like to use a second computer to just image my drives instead of 're-installing oses. That way I can image one drive while benching on another and then just swap them when I screw the first one up.

Last edited:
Back