• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Novice Nimble #9

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lochekey

Senior Pink Member
Come one Come all it is time for the Novice Nimble #9. We have competed in the last 3 novice nimbles and have placed 5th, 3rd, and 4th respectively. Hoping to make a good showing again this round. Looking to get as many members as we can to help compete and maybe entice a few new ones into the benching community. Please feel free to join in the conversation even if not competing. If you are new to the community and interested in giving benching a try feel free to join in on the crazy fun with us.

For those planning on competing:
Please check out the below rules page and competition overview to familiarize yourself with the competition if you would like to compete. Last competition we set up a google hangouts chat to have better team communication and I will be doing this again once we have a few people interested. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help or to improve how the team is organized.

As always, please do not make any submissions until consulting the team so you do not invalidate another team members submission.

Happy benching everyone,

-Lochekey

Competition overview - http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/novice_nimble_9
Competition Rules - http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/novice_nimble_9/rules

Stage #1 - Wprime32m (Intel)
http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/novice_nimble_9/2932/wprime_32m_(intel)
Please note this stage is limited to 4core intel cpu's

Stage #2 - Cinebench R11.5 (AMD)
http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/novice_nimble_9/2933/cinebench_r11.5_(amd)

Stage #3 - GPUPI 1b (Nvidia cards only)
http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/novice_nimble_9/2934/gpupi_1b_(nvidia)

Stage #4 - 3DMark Vantage (AMD)
http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/novice_nimble_9/2935/3dmark_vantage_(amd)

Stage #5 - 3DMark05 (AMD)
http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/novice_nimble_9/2936/3dmark05_(amd)

Please use this format for showing hardware you are interested in competing with.

Stage 1 -
I5 4690k

Stage 2 -
Sempron 140

Stage 3 -
GTX960
GT740
GTX650ti

Stage 4 -
HD7970

Stage 5 -
HD7970

The HackDick Challenge!!!

OK- this is my finaly NN until I fade into the obscurity of Enthusiast.

I challenge, yes I said challenge, any active Novice to help us out.

What lochekey failed to mention is that in the 4 NNs he and I have participated we have FAILED to get three subs for all stages.
And we still are competitive!!!
In the NN8 we were missing a sub for each stage, and missing two for one of them cause lochekey didn't have the requisite hardware.

So to sum up, we took fourth, while missing 6 of 15 subs.
We are not pushing the envelope, or spending inordinate ammount of time tweaking benches, just subbing decent runs.
If we could cover the missing pieces/subs I don't see why we shoudn't be taking 1st.

So I challenge (read-"Ask politely") any Active Novice to help, otherwise you could be subjected to the theme of my next story time at OCF Members Day Care.
Per HwBot it declares 5 active novices on our team. I know who you are and so do you!!!

So please help if possible. Its easy points gents!

This is what I got

Stage 1 -
I7 4790k/6700k
G3258

Stage 2 -
Sempron LE/Athlon X2

Stage 3 -
GTX960
GTX970
GTX980ti x2

Stage 4 -
R9 390x
R7 360

Stage 5 -
R9 390x
R7 360

And hey, question to anyone/anybody.
I am looking at AMD fury x purchase. It seems the referenced ones all come with monoblock and AOI water??!!
Or you buy a non-referenced and get the ekb block for it.
I want one that comes ready to go for water cooling without the AOI.
Similar to the EVGA 980 TI Hydro Copper, but it does not appear EVGA does AMD?
Anyone? Thanks,

Cheers

Hey Swart that is a nice run. I hope to work with wprime this weekend. I set myself a target of 5.500 seconds. We will see I guess.

set myself a target of 5.500 seconds
Seems reasonable...

Yeah, I was surprised. I haven't consulted the LBB yet. It was a win10 run.
Will try win Win7-64 this weekend. I am not going to bother trying to get XP running on my Z170.

Hasta Luego

So I have been messing with wprime and have been getting my but kicked. I have so far only managed to get a 5.772 time out of it. I'm gonna move on to some of the other stages for now.

Got this posted in the meantime which puts us in second place for stage #1.

If I get a chance to come back to this after the other stages I may try floating some jugs of ice in my reservoir to see if I can get a little more out of the cpu.

Well shiat Lochekey, you bettered @ATMINSIDE's i5 4690k score, tied with @devlos and are 22nd of 77 for that cpu.
No worries man, that works and is a good sub!
The top 15 i5 4690k scores are LN2 or DICE. 16th is 5.553 with H20, so you are closing in on that!

You got a i7k for that board?

So yeah, move on. Come back to that at the end if you want to try to improve...
But what we really need is a third freaking sub people!!!

Cheers

Well shiat Lochekey, you bettered @ATMINSIDE's i5 4690k score, tied with @devlos and are 22nd of 77 for that cpu.
No worries man, that works and is a good sub!
The top 15 i5 4690k scores are LN2 or DICE. 16th is 5.553 with H20, so you are closing in on that!

You got a i7k for that board?

So yeah, move on. Come back to that at the end if you want to try to improve...
But what we really need is a third freaking sub people!!!

Cheers

As usual you are right Swart.

No I do not have an i7 and I kick myself everyday for being a cheap sob.

I think I'm gonna take on stage #3 next. Gonna have to do some driver testing for the gtx960. It should give me a chance to update my driver results thread too.

Senior Guidance/Feedback Requested - Review attached AID64 report please

So think I posted pretty decent for stage 4: 3DMark Vantage Performance.

http://hwbot.org/submission/3222005...tage___performance_radeon_r9_390x_49116_marks

got good points, but is that because they just started differentiating between 290 and 390 or some thing like that I saw somewhere.
7th out of 11??!!

First, I must say Miss Nash is quite the dish:drool:
I don't know what she did to get into this situation...
But the poor girl not only obviously misplace her brassier,
but she also seemed to have forgotten her knickers!!!
Is there pause on this thing!!!!:cool:

Yeah, i watched that first test many times as I had problems. I didn't notice the a la Jessica Rabbit flashes until about the 5 or 6th time.
It would continually hang right at the end of scene where she is flying off.
Instead of loading the next scene it would either hang and "esc" got me back to desktop,or eventually BSOD.
I am barely clocking the GPU, was trying to run cpu at 48x, but backed off to 46x to get this sub.
I am jamming my DDR4 though? Is this a problem?

BTW-doing the usual basic run steps: min service/process, kill explorer, elevate privs, etc.

I tried to limit the report size. Use the Navigate button.
If someone could review the OC stuff, I would really appreciate it.
Specifically as to why it hangs trying to switch to new test?

See report here:
http://hackinc.net/fathertimeAIDA64.html

Eskarrik Asko

Last edited:
Hey Swart those are some nice runs. I couldn't resist playing with wprime some more and I have made some nice improvements. I'll get screenshots posted tomorrow. I have been testing some drivers for gpupi with my 960 and I think I have found 2 I am happy with so I'm going to focus on pushing them to see what I get.

I'm not at all familiar with 3dmark vantage so hopefully someone who is comes along with some advice.

Sorry Lochekey, things have been a mess here for me lately. There's some good tips in the LBB for vantage. Also don't forget to mess with LOD settings. This bench loves as many cores as you can give it as for that pause between scenes Swart that is normal. It's almost as if the driver disengages and then kicks in again. As for it locking up, likely a bit high on the GPU OC or could be pushing your/ram/CPU a bit hard. . I'll add some tips to this post in a bit for all benches

1 Wprime XP32/Vista 32 set it up like doing Spi see LBB for details. As Lochekey know i7 with HT enabled is best bet.
2. R11.5 Win764 more cores and speed. A 1090T would also do well if you don't have a speedy FX CPU but I would run 8320/8350/8370/9370/9590 all eight core but "different" CPUs
3. I haven't spent much time on this TBH Lochekey is on the right track AFIK with drivers
4. 3D Vantage This bench loves as many cores as you can get Intel all the way. Win764 is what I use even over Win10 with AMD cards use SetLod which I will add here at the end and play with it.
5. 3D 05 CPU speed and cut cores can help if it give enough speed advanyage. Win7 set LOD

View attachment SetLODb6.7z

Last edited:
Sorry Lochekey, things have been a mess here for me lately. There's some good tips in the LBB for vantage. Also don't forget to mess with LOD settings. This bench loves as many cores as you can give it . I'll add some tips to this post in a bit for all benches

Hey Johan no worries, I have not been active as much lately either, too many baby animals at the farm right now.

As promised though results for Wprime32( cooling down my waterloop made a big difference) still did not hit my 5.5 sec goal but I am creeping up on it, maybe this summer at the get together in Harrisburg.

http://hwbot.org/submission/3226154_lochekey_wprime___32m_core_i5_4690k_5sec_585ms

Yeah, we've had some health issues here and it's been a bit nerve wracking. I did get my weeping bed dug up and repaired though.
I'm going to post my 3D van score to show what a difference CPU cores can make. Do you still have the big dawg all tied up in a WC machine Swart? Check the CPU score here vs your 6700k GPU score weighs heavier but CPU does help a lot. Don't forget to try LOD that I linked.

image_id_1644047.jpeg

Heya! I was beginning to think I was all by my lonesome here:D

Health concerns, baby farm animals, life... always take precedence!
Hope everything is improving on the health issues, its all we got left...

Johan said:
Do you still have the big dawg all tied up in a WC machine Swart?
WC?? -water cooled?
big-dwag - G7 Z-170X and/or 980 TI hydro copper?

Both these are currently on The Bianch and running.
Swapped the 980 back in to run GPUPI.

For stage 4 (3DMark Vantage) ) I ran the R9 390X w/waterblock, on the G7.
For stage 5 (3DMark05) I am limited to the White Elephant and it's R7 360.

I can definitely revisit any/all subs.
As usual, I did not put much effort into them except some basic oc.
I need some research and practice into gCard/3d benches.
Biggest question is how to balance cpu OC and gCard OC? I know its specific for each Bench.
Trying to put together some specific questions, but have not done my due diligence yet.

So yeah, all into improving the scores I have, but all just for practice
Unless we can get some other subs, we will never win.
Was stoked to have 1st for GPUPI 1B, but those wankers at .net sub'd a second entry...

More import than ever,

Salud!!!

Well I've been playing with gpupi so I will get something in soon. I'm sitting around the 55 second mark now. That well put is squarely in 2nd place, can't compete with a 970 even with pushing my 960.

Just out of curiosity why can't you run stage 5 with your 390?

Stage 5 is AMD CPU/GPU
Biggest question is how to balance cpu OC and gCard OC? I know its specific for each Bench.
Big dawg, got you confused with OGMC and his X99
The last part sums that up completely Swart. Comparing the same system vantage needs stability on the CPU for the Physics portion or it'll crash. 05 just needs speed test the forest/pixie scene for CPU stability since you don't need to run the CPU tests for this one. As always with the GPU as fast as it'll go and not crash.
One thing with GPUPI Vram memory makes little/no difference so leave it stock or even back it down a bit to give more headroom for the core speed.

Back