• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nVidia broke 5000MB/s in Sandra with AMD!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ronin said:
No way, you gotta be ****tin me.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1027447425

The leading mainboard manufacturers announced and showcased their solutions based on the new NVIDIA nForce2 chipsets. The remarkable thing is that the products shown are based on both: discrete and integrated chipsets, which will ensure that both solutions are equally represented in the market.

And now let’s cast a quick glance at the available solutions and their features:

ABIT NV7II-8X. The board is based on nForce2 IGP, supports AGP 8x, features onboard ATA/133 RAID controller, 2+1 DIMM slots, USB 2.0 ports. It is equipped with 5 PCI slots, IEEE 1394 Firewire interface. It also supports APU sound. The product is due in early Q4. The picture is available here.
ASUS A7N8X. This mainboard is based on nForce2 SPP, supports AGP Pro (8x), ATA/133 interface, SerialATA channels instead of the RAID support as in the previous item, 2+1 DIMM slots and USB 2.0. There are 5 PCI slots, full implementation of NVIDIA APU sound with the subwoofer option, etc. The integrated graphics core is disabled. See the picture here.
EPoX EP-8RDA+. This board is built on the discrete nForce2 SPP, supports AGP Pro (8x), ATA/133, 2+1 DIMM slots, USB 2.0. The mainboard boasts all the highs of the new MCP from NVIDIA, namely: 2 Ethernet, Dolby Digital sound, etc. There are 6 PCI slots onboard. The picture is available here.
EPoX EP-8RGA+. This is an nForce IGP based solution, supporting AGP 8x, 6 PCI slots, 2+1 DIMM slots, ATA/133, USB 2.0, FireWire, 2 Ethernet, Dolby Digital sound. It features a D-Sub Out to a single monitor. See the photo here.
Chaintech CT-7NJS. This mainboard belongs to the Apogee class and is based on nForce2 with the integrated graphics core, which ensures 2 RGB Outs for monitors, i.e. the board supports nView. For the MCP they chose the regular “non-T” version, so the board features only 1 Ethernet, ATA/133 and USB 1.1. Also there is an additional controller implementing 1 IDE and 1 SerialATA channel. The sound is made with Chaintech’s favourite C-media chip, as they might have forgotten that NVIDIA MCP also boasts quite a nice sound implementation. 7NJS is built on a black PCB, features an AGP 8x slot, 5 yellow PCI slots and one even more yellow CNR slot. Following the latest trends of the Chaintech mainboard building the solution represents not an apogee but an orgasm I would say :) See the picture here.
Chaintech CT-7NIF1. The board is based on nForce2 IGP, features 1 D-Sub connector, 2+1 DIMM slots, supports ATA/133, USB 1.1 and C-media sound. This is the only MicroATX mainboard on NVIDIA nForce2 so far. It meets all the requirements for an OEM platform. See a picture of it here.
MSI MS-K7N2. This nForce2 IGP based product is equipped with 5 PCI slots, 2+1 DIMM slots, 1 CNR slot, 1 Ethernet, 3 ATA/133, 1 SerialATA, USB 2.0 and AGP 8x. The mainboard is built on MSI’s favourite red PCB. Here is a picture for you.

The new products are expected to hit the streets in August-September this year. The awaited pricing should rest around $100 or a bit higher.

DS-Master

JudgeDredd said:
Kind of strange, Rambus is making the move to single sticks, while DDR is doing the exact opposite. :/

nForce uses 2 mem controllers to acheive a 128 bit DIMM size, so you must use 1 stick per controller bank.

nForce 2 can allocate two 64-bit memory controllers at once allowing you to achieve a 128-bit memory throughput.

So PC3200 64-bit + PC3200 64-bit = PC3200 128-bit or PC6400 64-bit (6.4GB/s)

DS-Master

So whats the reason for them not making them for the P4, or better yet, dual Xeons or MPs/XPs *drools uncontrolablly*

I dont think the hammer will be out this year, anyway, this chipset won't support the hammers, I know nvidia has a new chipset for that processor too, somewhere.

First off, the reason that nVidia will never make a chipset for Intel is simple. Intel wants $10 for every nForce chipset that nVidia sells and nVidia was like, heck no and said, well.. too bad. Now Intel is in for a ride with a flat tire.

AMD on the other hand gladly excepted the offer and allowed nVidia to freely build a chipset for them. nVidia without even thinking started right away on nForce.

To answer the next question,

nForce 3 will be the chipset from nVidia that supports Clawhammer. Clawhammer will be out March 2003. Untill then, we got Barton and nForce2 to play with ;)

DS-Master

I'm not sure about SiS or VIA but I would guess that they don't either. I think AMD justs wants a win win for everyone unlike Intel who has gotten very greedy lately!

DS-Master

And all this memory bandwidth is going to give you exactly no performance benefit, so why get all wound up about it?

Nagorak said:
And all this memory bandwidth is going to give you exactly no performance benefit, so why get all wound up about it?

Wrong, you'll get lots of benefit from Dual Channel DDR400. Remember, DDR is NOT 100% effecient.

That means that the additional memory bandwidth that could have been used is filled by the whoppin amount of bandwidth of Dual Channel.

One thing that is great about Dual Channel memory that most people dont realize is that you can go backwards without loosing too much performance.

So, keep your old DDR333 memory for nForce because nForce2 has the 4/3 divider which makes the memory run 25% slower than the FSB.

So when the FSB is at 450MHz, your memory is almost in spec still and nice and stable.

DS-Master

DS-Master said:
Wrong, you'll get lots of benefit from Dual Channel DDR400. Remember, DDR is NOT 100% effecient.
DS-Master

No machine is 100% effeceint unless aided by another machine, ie. a supercharged engine. DDR is on average 93% effeceint, and I really like the dual channel DDR design. I'd like it even more if someone stepped up to the plate and released a single 128 bit DDR controller, so you'd only have to use 1 stick. Oh, and they should also incorporate PCI-X, AGP v3.0, USB 2.0, IEEE 1394, Gigabit ethernet, etc. etc. in a Socket 478, 670(Or whatever P4 Xeons are), and Socket A, not to mention lockable AGP/PCI busses. Whatever, though. :D

Penguin4x4 said:

No machine is 100% effeceint unless aided by another machine, ie. a supercharged engine. DDR is on average 93% effeceint, and I really like the dual channel DDR design. I'd like it even more if someone stepped up to the plate and released a single 128 bit DDR controller, so you'd only have to use 1 stick. Oh, and they should also incorporate PCI-X, AGP v3.0, USB 2.0, IEEE 1394, Gigabit ethernet, etc. etc. in a Socket 478, 670(Or whatever P4 Xeons are), and Socket A, not to mention lockable AGP/PCI busses. Whatever, though. :D

PCI-X is supported in the nForce3 and AMD K8 architecture. PCI-X with its 1066MB/s is pretty darned fast I have to admit!

as for AGP v3.0, USB 2.0, IEEE 1394, you got em all on the nForce2. Gigabit ethernet cards are seperate for now. They are just too darned expensive to intergrate yet. Besides, Intel has 1/10 Gbit ethernet cards out already so all we need now are those PCI-X slots ;)

You cant beat 1|1 divider which locks the AGP/PCI. nForce2 has that :)

DS-Master

Back