• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NVIDIA First to Deliver DirectX 9.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vengeance

How do they sleep at night? Last I heard ATI was the first cards to offer DX9 support! Am I missing something here? :rolleyes:

NVIDIA First to Deliver DirectX 9.0 and High-Level Shader Languages to All PC Users

NVIDIA Delivers the Industry’s First Top-to-Bottom Family of DirectX 9.0 GPUs to Deliver Stunning Cinematic Computing on the Desktop PC

For further information, contact:

Derek Perez
NVIDIA Corporation
(408) 486-2512
[email protected]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

GAME DEVELOPER CONFERENCE—SAN JOSE, CA—MARCH 6, 2003—NVIDIA Corporation (Nasdaq: NVDA), the worldwide leader in visual processing solutions, announced today that the new NVIDIA® GeForce(TM) FX and NVIDIA Quadro® FX families of graphics processing units (GPUs) are the first top-to-bottom DirectX 9.0 class graphics solutions optimized for Microsoft’s DirectX® 9.0 and high-level shader language (HLSL). By using DirectX 9.0 and HLSL, game developers will be able to provide a high-impact, visually stunning experience for all consumers. NVIDIA and Microsoft are enabling a new era of cinematic computing by facilitating the development of real-time photorealistic effects on the Windows-based PC.

The whole story

Well, i think is what they are trying to brag about is their 5200 is DX 9 compatable while the 9000 isnt...lame excuse if u ask me

Evnas said:
Well, i think is what they are trying to brag about is their 5200 is DX 9 compatable while the 9000 isnt...lame excuse if u ask me

Yeah I think your right! BFD! If you ask me, They can put anything they want on there website.
Fact is today is now March 7th and you still cant walk into your local BestBuy/CompUSA and walk out with a new NVIDIA FX card. :rolleyes:

Not Bashing them, I got that off there website for gods sake! And you cant walk in to a store yet and buy a FX thats not a bash its the truth. I just find it really funny that they Say there the first to offer this and that, but you cant buy it yet?
Im really not bashing them, I'm still a nvidia fan but I'm also a ATI fan :D the only reason I got my 9500 PRO is because Evnas twisted my arm......Yeah thats it its all his fault :p If it wasnt for him I'd have have a Geforce 4 Ti4600 right now :mad:

pssst by the way thanks Evnas ;)

yeah okay nvidia! keep thinking that..lol\

How can u compare the 9000 to the FX

why not try matching 2 cards in the SAME spec range :D.

I think they're referring to their low pricepoint (5200) cards. Note they say it's a "top-to-bottom family".

As I said in another thread the fact that the FX 5200 is a DX9 part doesn't mean a whole lot, what good is it to be DX9 compliant when it doesn't have the horse power to run any DX 9 games? I mean sure it can play Doom III with all they fancy stuff turned on but you will only get 10FPS, so you will just end up turning it off.

BTW is not the Fire GL X1 or whatever fully DX9 compliant? I would imagine it is sinced its based on the r300.

Vengeance said:

Yeah I think your right! BFD! If you ask me, They can put anything they want on there website.
Fact is today is now March 7th and you still cant walk into your local BestBuy/CompUSA and walk out with a new NVIDIA FX card. :rolleyes:

Really? then why did my friend get his FX today?

Where did he get it from ??? Was it a preorder ( the only way to get an FX ultra )? Because the plain FX isn't to be released until April and no one is really sure when the 5200 and 5600 will actually be available .

WOW Evnas .............. simultaneous post ......... LOL

i dont see a difference between pre-order and buying it in the store, he still bought a GF-FX so they are infact on sale, although in extremely limited numbers

tell us how it turns out timmy, im interested to hear how the card really performs

The few that are 'out' are either pre-ordered or review samples . Seeing that the preorder runs are finished no one who doesn't have a pre-order can buy one . So it's out , yet not out .......... :rolleyes: , cancelled before it even shipped .

Some would call it available but I would say borderline at best . It is like those exotic sports cars made by some European company with 5 employees that put out 5 per year to selected customers with a 4 year waiting list ( if you have been deemed worthy and have 1 million $ ) . Can such a car be called available ?

DaddyB said:
As I said in another thread the fact that the FX 5200 is a DX9 part doesn't mean a whole lot, what good is it to be DX9 compliant when it doesn't have the horse power to run any DX 9 games? I mean sure it can play Doom III with all they fancy stuff turned on but you will only get 10FPS, so you will just end up turning it off.

BTW is not the Fire GL X1 or whatever fully DX9 compliant? I would imagine it is sinced its based on the r300.

Pure technobabble

You're quoting stats from tests that haven't been run of games that haven't been written on cards that haven't been made.

Here's something a bit more substantial, about the 5200 from Tom's:
"In anti-aliasing, it's just a tad behind the Ti 4200. It's the same with anisotropic filtering - at least in Balanced mode. In Performance mode, it even manages to beat the 4800. "

Not too shabby for $100.

I'm not saying that suddenly FX has stolen the performance crown, but if all goes as well for nVidia, they'll own the low end enthusiasts.

Last edited:
Cowboy X said:
Some would call it available but I would say borderline at best . It is like those exotic sports cars made by some European company with 5 employees that put out 5 per year to selected customers with a 4 year waiting list ( if you have been deemed worthy and have 1 million $ ) . Can such a car be called available ?

McLaren F1 comes to mind ;)

Ugmore Baggage said:

Pure technobabble

You're quoting stats from tests that haven't been run of games that haven't been written on cards that haven't been made.

Here's something a bit more substantial, about the 5200 from Tom's:
"In anti-aliasing, it's just a tad behind the Ti 4200. It's the same with anisotropic filtering - at least in Balanced mode. In Performance mode, it even manages to beat the 4800. "

Not too shabby for $100.

I'm not saying that suddenly FX has stolen the performance crown, but if all goes as well for nVidia, they'll own the low end enthusiasts.

You have a point there , but the raw numbers need to be seen as well as the non AA and AF performance . Not to mention the DX9 ability since thses cards are being marketed as such .

Beware of such statements , the plain 9500 is in some cases faster than the 4800 when AA and AF are turned on ! But the 9500 is as far as I'm concerned a crippled card ( unless you mod it , 50/50 chance at best and lessening every day ) . So the jury is still out concerning the NV31 and NV34 . Finally lets not forget that the plain 9700 and 9500 pro will be migrating downwards . The 9500 Pro may end up in the $120 area alot faster than expected esp if NV35 is released sooner rather than later .

Ugmore Baggage said:

Pure technobabble

Come on now, you really think that I would post something unsubstantiated? Nah I stick to the facts.

nVidia posted the tests, the game has been written but not yet completed and the cards have been made, you should know that if you read Tom's article - they have the cards in their shop, so does [H].

Here is nVidia's own numbers for Doom III on the FX5800 Ultra at 1280x1024... 50FPS, the 5200 has half the pipelines, half the TMUs and being clocked at around 300/300 (keep in mind I said 5200 not ultra, though the 5200 ultra won't fair much better) its close to half the speed. Hmm half, half half... so what do you imagine the framerate would be? Just a guess here, I'd say half. So less then 25FPS is a good estimate according to nvidia's own numbers (keep in mind the 4600 only does 20FPS on that graph and as you said without AA and AF the 5200 performs about the same as the 4200, so my shot-in-the-dark estimate of 10FPS in my first post is probably closer to reality at this point then 25 is but IMHO neither is playable). I don't consider that to be playable and imagine what happens when you turn on AA and AF? You get to watch a Doom3 slideshow.

Granted the game is far from polished but for the average person playing at 1024x768 with high detail AA and AF are definetly not possible and the framerate is definetly going to be below what I consider to be playable (without AA and AF), I stand by my original statement - There is no point in the 5200 having DX9 features when presumably the first DX9 era game, Doom3 (be it openGL or not), will not be playable at a reasonable framerate.

Im not saying its a bad card, the 5600 and 5200 will likely be nVidia's biggest sellers this generation, I'm just saying that nVidia saying that the FX family is the first "top to bottom" DX9 series of cards is more of a marketing ploy then it is a useful feature.

Back