• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia to pay out for class action for 970 vram fiasco

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I bought mine because of the performance and DX, not the specs.

Did I study the specs? not really. I knew what was advertised but it was not like I was writing a review on the thing.

I wouldn't know an rop from a pixel shader but, if you tell me you're selling abc and deliver wxy, and it's lesser than abc, I'm miffed and want my money back and you need to pay a price that stings so you don't do it again.

Merged them... its a rinse and repeat of that (now THIS, lol) thread, and it was in GD when its about NVIDIA GPUs, so merged it with the original. :)

I wouldn't know an rop from a pixel shader but, if you tell me you're selling abc and deliver wxy, and it's lesser than abc, I'm miffed and want my money back and you need to pay a price that stings so you don't do it again.

OK. This may have swayed me, a little, from my original position on this.

OK. This may have swayed me, a little, from my original position on this.

Completely agree with C_D and I'm even more miffed that only the US get some sort of compensation, I had a Strix 970...

For me as well, the false advertisement was the problem, not the actual performance (in most of the cases, anyways). Companies should not be able to make false claims about their products without consequences. Slippery slope, and all that.

What part was false advertisement? I definitely see a LACK of advertising the last 512MB of its 4GB was slower. :rofl:

Last edited:
What part was false advertisement? I definitely see a LACK of advertising the last 512MB of its 4GB was slower. :rofl:

GTX 970. Their complaints centered around three allegations:

The GTX 970 was marketed as a card with 4 GB of video memory, whereas the card actually has 3.5 GB of RAM, with the remaining 0.5 GB being a much slower "spillover segment" that is decoupled from the main RAM
The GTX 970 was marketed as a card with 64 render output processors, whereas the card actually has 56 render output processors
The GTX 970 was marketed as a card with an L2 cache capacity of 2,048 KB, whereas the card actually has a 1,792 KB L2 cache http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/28/12315238/nvidia-gtx-970-lawsuit-settlement

+1 I'm afraid of a slippery slope.:mad:

On the grounds that she screwed up and wanted somebody else to pay for it, IMO. She wanted hot coffee and they sold her hot coffee. That's customer service, not negligence or malice. Trying to make somebody else pay for your mistakes is malice. It never should have gone to court.

OK, two minutes in to the video they state the "victim" put the flimsy cup between her knees and took the lid off, because there was no suitable place in the car to put it. She bought hot coffee in a flimsy cup, put it between her knees, and took the lid off in an environment obviously (and observed to be) not suited to the activities. Stupid. And got 2.9 million dollars from twelve people hoping to hit that same jackpot someday. Ambulance chasing lawyers like that have perverted the legal system. She did not use the product as intended.

Question:

Did you (or anyone against the verdict) read the court transcript of the case?

Just wondering... I did. It's an interesting read.

Even better: No Advertising at all. In our Country there is already Quarks in the Supermarket without any ingridient list. Why to inform others in term something worse is not meant to be told?

Either way... it´s valid hiding stuff but it is NOT valid to Hand out a spec simply not true (4 GB RAM at a certain Speed was advertised, yet... there was only 3.5 GB at the advertised Speed... a fact and nothing else.)

Next time they gonna sell a Quark with 100% milk... oh wait, they forgot to tell that the Quark had actually 90% milk and 10% Palm oil. Of Course it will offend many "greener" People looking to avoid Palm oil but they actually may not have any direct damage with the exception of the psychological damage in some cases which is still worse. We do not Need to argue here.. this is NOT legitime but it is totaly fine not to Hand out any Infos at all... but i dare to say that they will sell some lesser Cards or Quarks (those Quarks still are selling awesome i can tell... most customers are either blind or ignorant).

Do you know how industry works and how to detect a inferior product? Split apart... split apart... split apart. Industry is always breaking apart a certain unified shape in order to reduce cost and as a tradeoff Quality too. This Action is a very common term for almost any product the industry is creating... not only Food... even technical stuff is affected a lot by certain "cuttings", a form of "Splitting something apart in order to lower cost", especially Nvidia Cards are affected by this Action a lot. It is a attempt in order to lower production cost and raise quantity... a very typical act usually done by some form of industry.

However, the 970 is a great product, no Need to argue here. But there was a good reason why this Card was priced in a overly competitive way and AMD certainly had lot of stress because of this Card. Nvidia as usual did some "cutting" but this time it was not told to the public for a pretty Long period.

Last edited:
The difference isn't in speed. ALL 4GB run at the same speed using the same bus width. The problem was with one (of four) partially disabled ROPs/Memory Controller. It has 56 ROPS and 1.75MB of L2 cache. Here is an article that should prove to be pretty informative: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8935/geforce-gtx-970-correcting-the-specs-exploring-memory-allocation

Finally, because of this configuration and the lack of a ROP/L2 unit we get to the memory segments. Although the full 256-bit memory bus is present and active on GTX 970 and capable of providing 224GB/sec of combined memory bandwidth between the DRAM modules and the memory controllers, it’s a bit of a misnomer to say the card has that much bandwidth between the memory controllers and everything else, at least in the same sense that the GTX 980 does.
Well, I am sure you meant speed a bit more nebulous than I did, lol!

Last edited:
Does it matter? You are telling me that they did not actually "slow down" something, yet, they was disabling a critical part with a direct effect on the Memory Speed, this is simply a fact. Now you Need lot of sweet treats in order to get ride of this fact.

Look... i could be a car Company and i could be selling you a 1000 HP engine. Now, in order to save up cost i was removing a Piston, however all the parts of the engine is running at the same Speed still... but the removed Piston obviously is not active anymore and in term im gonna Need the full HP maybe as soon as i exceed the 900 HP line i may not "feel" true power anymore but in most cases it may not be a matter at all because the Police is already mad at me at less than 900 HP. :clap:
So, this is not a practical damage but psychologically... when i try to brag about the engine and someone found out there is a removed Piston... what a mess in the book of a proud engine owner.

You do Need to notice what´s going on. You seem only to look at the practical stuff and generally you are pretty profane in mentality. But not everyone is like this, some People got certain Feelings a bit beyond of the truly practical stuff, they seek for truth, wisdom and whatelse... they simply do not wish to be fooled, not even in a gentle way. It simply hurts their Feelings and i do fully understand it.

Last edited:
Back