• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

O/C A10-7890K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Samus_Aran

Hi guys,

Since Christmas i've attempted several tests to reach a quite good overclocking status and here is what i've succeeded to stay stable:

A10-7890K @ 4,5Ghz at 1,525v through the bios
2x4Gb Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600 @ 1866 9-9-9-27 2T at 1,53v
CPU uncore at 1800Mhz
R7 on chip at 866/933

Here is the cpu-z validator link: https://valid.x86.fr/sqnm6x

Do you think i could go higher without causing any damages or else i'm approaching the apex of this steamroller architecture ? :confused:

I wouldn't add anymore voltage without very good cooling. The Uncore as you call it is the northbridge and you should be able to get that higher than 1800 try 2400 ish. Also if you're using the R7 graphics faster RAM really helps since the system RAM is the GFX RAM

Thanks for your advice Johan i know for the ram it is also for the onboard radeon but these are 1600 rated 1,50v 8-8-8-24-36 2T and you've seen what i've already managed... :-/ I've tested them at 2133@1,60v 11-11-11-27-53 like the Elite, it's stable but curiously through cpuz and hwmonitor with such a speed the onboard radeon doesn't lower its frequency anymore (333mhz perf level 0) during 2D tasks like when i set the ram at 1600 or 1866 it always remains at 1066... :confused:
Moreover 1,60v is a bit high for 1,50v rated memory... for the cpu i've set it back at 4,3ghz@1,475v turbocore off and cnq on, it's powerful enough for me...

As long as you're happy with it. You still might want to look at the NB speed it can help a bit. I have a 7870 APU here that I bench and I know I hve the R7 in the 1200s for core speed so if you're inclined you could likely bump that up a bit too
PS: DDR3 can handle a bit more voltage than you think other kits are rated at 1.65V to start with.

OK thanks for this advice :thup: yeahh i've just read a test about the ballistix elite ddr3 2133 they're rated at default 1,65v... Like your 7870k my 7890k has its r7 radeon rated at 866mhz does increase its clock speed really brings more perfs/fps ? i've seen the other models 7860k, 7850k the clock is at 757mhz or even 720mhz by default... :)

Thanks Shrimp :thup: but i've built this rig on purpose to be discrete graphics card less, to avoid increase of electricity consumption (and invoice) and for the moment i'm sooner satisfied with this build :) I've got another exact same dual channel memory kit in the drawer of my desk (i actually wanted to directly install like the 1st one those memories in march 2018 but the wraith cooler prevents me to use the 1st dimm slot so the day when 16gigs will be required i will change my cpu cooler) and the day when i will realize that my onboard radeon chip isn't powerful enough according to the games i will play i will buy a rx560/570 :thup:

Yes I agree that a 560 or 570 would be a good gaming card however I did keep in mind two things being budget and power consumption.

The R7 250 uses only socket power, so it's super low wattage.

Just an idea ;)

Thanks Shrimp for this advice but my onboard video chip is nearly as powerful as the r7 250 discrete graphics card and even though it only uses the pci-e 16x as power source, the day i will want to change il will buy a mid strong graphics adapter and i won't be disturbed to connect one or two 6 pins pci-e cables to it since my seasonic is powerful enough :clap: but as long as i don't need to add a graphics card i will stay like this because i'm only a casual gamer, so this purchase of my 7890k is a good investment for me !!!:D

I would look into a card that can crossfire with the iGpu honestly. You'll get the best gaming performance in this fashion. I am not sure of the RX 560/70 can crossfire with the 7890K iGpu, but something to look into.

Here's a video with some comparisons with gaming. Skip to 3 minutes to see the charts and skip his chat if you want.

If your going to buy a low end Gpu such as the RX 560, might as well be sure it can crossfire with your iGpu. It's the best way to get good performance from APU processors unless your going to a realistic mid tier gaming card IMO>

Thanks Shrimp (crevette chez nous en France lol :D) only i believe r7 250 and 250x can make dual graphics with kaveri and godavari apus, but as i said before my current configuration satisfies me totally and the day i will need to buy a mid gaming graphics card i will buy a decent thing without willing to make dual graphics and i'll disable onboard graphics through the bios and will build a classic quad core cpu with my 7890k associated with a rx 470 if they are still available, rx 560 or rx 570 because i think that rx 480/580 will be too much expensive... gtx 1050ti/1060 could be interesting but i think i will prefer a full AMD Radeon build as well as for the drivers not to mix nvidia panel with radeonlive...

Back