• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C] Google ChromeOS CR48 Netbook Hands On Preview

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i don't *need* to install ubuntu. Looks to me lick chromeos is based off gentoo which is more than fine with me. I just want to be able to run some of my own apps to test this bad-boy out.

I see the Tips&Tricks mention busybox...is there a way to download the busybox for the release image already compiled or so i need to download the full source and build it myself?

I applied for one as well, and there's one scheduled for delivery in my city tomorrow...hopefully it's coming to me!

I applied for one as well, and there's one scheduled for delivery in my city tomorrow...hopefully it's coming to me!

Out of curiosity, how do you know there's one scheduled for delivery in your city if you haven't received any sort of shipping notice? Thanks -- Paul

that is pretty nifty, i wonder how accurate it is and how it works

A few of the guys that developed it figured out the reference numbers that Google used in shipping. They were all sequential, so they wrote a script with the UPS tracking API to query those ref numbers and get info on them, more or less. So yeah, it's accurate.

And no, Google doesn't notify you if you were selected, I'm sure they will follow up within a few weeks and ask questions and whatnot, though.

Two are coming to my zip code, one to my parents (who live in a small zipcode) and one to my friends! So did google not notify you if you got it?

Good luck getting one! Keep in mind they've only shipped roughly 1/8th of the quantity supposed to be shipped, so we all still have a chance!

Well I didn't get one, nor did anyone else I know, yet. Anyone else have any luck yet?

According to that little app posted above, Google hasn't shipped any in like 36 hours plus.

Seems like there are a couple that are 2nd day aired to my zip code now. Unfortunately I just left for the week. What is UPS/Fedex's policy on holding packages? How can I even check if one of these are mine? I don't want it shipped back to google.. Although are they not requiring signatures? Maybe it'll just be left at my door :chair:

Seems like there are a couple that are 2nd day aired to my zip code now. Unfortunately I just left for the week. What is UPS/Fedex's policy on holding packages? How can I even check if one of these are mine? I don't want it shipped back to google.. Although are they not requiring signatures? Maybe it'll just be left at my door :chair:

You can always leave a sticky/note on the door, asking the delivery guy if he could sign for the package and leave it by the door. I always say I stepped away for a few minutes and will be back. They aren't supposed to do this, but I never had a problem having one of them sign for a package.

Or, you can ask a neighbor if they will sign the package if it needs signature verification, and leave a note asking the delivery guy to deliver next door.

You can always leave a sticky/note on the door, asking the delivery guy if he could sign for the package and leave it by the door. I always say I stepped away for a few minutes and will be back. They aren't supposed to do this, but I never had a problem having one of them sign for a package.

Or, you can ask a neighbour if they will sign the package if it needs signature verification, and leave a note asking the delivery guy to deliver next door.

Yeah I just called my neighbour and asked her to leave a note for me. There are now 4 scheduled for delivery on Monday for my zip!:rock:

Yeah I just called my neighbour and asked her to leave a note for me. There are now 4 scheduled for delivery on Monday for my zip!:rock:

That sounds promising!

Of the three in my parents city, and three now in my city, none have been mine :(
One showed delivered in my zip (which is a fairly new zip to my city, so I had high hopes) but was solely disappointed when I got home and it wasn't on the porch...

Still hoping though, since only 12k have gone out so far! Best of luck, all!:p

Back