• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC potential of this FX-6100 + GA78LMT-USB3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Helgaiden

Hi all. So a while back I posted in general about my friend's build story and how i helped him score his first gaming computer on the cheap (http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/772542-Build-Story ). Now last night he finally got the case he wanted and another buddy have him a corsair h100i to cool his CPU because his Arctic a11 wouldn't fit anymore. The case is a corsair air 240. The PSU might need an upgrade before OCing considering its an old antec true power trio 430w unit i believe, but it's getting the job done right now. I got to wondering what the potential of this setup might be for overclocking? I was under the impression the older 4+1 vrm boards weren't good for that and never considered it but initial research in this specific mobo model seems to point otherwise. Thanks all. It's also got an evga 670 with a blower style cooler that hopefully had some OC potential as well. IMG_20160723_091734.jpg IMG_20160723_095110.jpg

Last edited:
That board wouls allow for a mild OC low 4GHz likely. Just keep an eye on socket temps and some extra fans might be necessary

That board wouls allow for a mild OC low 4GHz likely. Just keep an eye on socket temps and some extra fans might be necessary

Thanks! i'll have a look at the bulldozer overclocking guide. Any advice from anyone else is always welcome though :)

A fan on the VRM and one behind the mobo will be needed if you want to push it further. The socket temp is likely going to be your issue once you get the power flowing it'll heat up quite fast. I drilled holes in my case and mounted a slim(15mm) 120 fan right behind the CPU socket for my HTPC. It really helps. Not the best PIC but you'll get the idea
back fan.jpeg

My buddy is planning on putting an 80mm fan on the back slot. Some airflow tests show that it draws in air very well from the front, thru the radiator, then draws it out the top going right by the VRMs very quickly. A rear fan will help even more with that i think.

Back