• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC Q9450 on P5Q3 Deluxe WiFi@n

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nickCR

Hello All,

So I'm entirely new to OC'in. I have read a few guides but just don't feel comfortable going ahead and making changes yet.

Here is what i'm running:

Mobo: Asus P5Q3-Deluxe/Wifi-AP
Proc: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
Mem: Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB 2X2GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 CL7-7-7-20 Dual Channel Memory
HD: Primary - Vertex 2 120GB / Secondary - Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB SATA2 7200RPM
Cool: Xigmatek HDT-S1283 Direct Touch 3 Heatpipe
Case: Raidmax Smilodon
PSU: Silverstone Element ST50EF-PLUS 500W

So first question is will the cooling solution I have allow me to overclock? I do live in Costa Rica but my office is insulated and air conditioned to 27 c.

Then could you guys throw out some figures for me as to what I should try to set everything to for a stable # over 3ghz. From what I understand this baby can hit 3.3ghz fairly stable just no clue about the ram or bios.

Pointers would be great :D

Ewww just ran Core Temp 0.99.8 and get 60c high when running Counter-Strike (full graphix at 1680 x 1050). Is it even going to be possible to OC at these temps?

Last edited:
Hi! I seen you posted this a while ago I thought I'd give it a shot at a couple of things. First, I couldn't help but to wonder about your power supply. What for graphics are you using? Because you may have a problem even if you had a lower end video card. So when you try to OC, and you're under a heavy load, you may experience unexpected shutdowns. 500 watts is pretty low and that type of PSU has 2 12V rails meaning your PSU may have trouble supplying power if you try to OC unless each rail is well balanced. You will have to look at the manual for your PSU and find out if you are loading too much on one rail. That's for starters (to me anyway). 2nd, you are having a heat issue FOR REAL! That monstroCITY of a heatsink should keep it a lot cooler than what you are describing. It sounds like it isn't either seated on the CPU well or needs thermal paste. I recommend taking the time to very carefully removing your cooler, clean up and reaply the thermal paste, and remount your heatsink correctly (if it hasn't been done so already). I would not try to OC until you get that heat issue resolved because this is the first time for you. I'll watch the thread to see if you had gotten this reply and I will assist you in your overclock

Hi! I seen you posted this a while ago I thought I'd give it a shot at a couple of things. First, I couldn't help but to wonder about your power supply. What for graphics are you using? Because you may have a problem even if you had a lower end video card. So when you try to OC, and you're under a heavy load, you may experience unexpected shutdowns. 500 watts is pretty low and that type of PSU has 2 12V rails meaning your PSU may have trouble supplying power if you try to OC unless each rail is well balanced. You will have to look at the manual for your PSU and find out if you are loading too much on one rail. That's for starters (to me anyway). 2nd, you are having a heat issue FOR REAL! That monstroCITY of a heatsink should keep it a lot cooler than what you are describing. It sounds like it isn't either seated on the CPU well or needs thermal paste. I recommend taking the time to very carefully removing your cooler, clean up and reaply the thermal paste, and remount your heatsink correctly (if it hasn't been done so already). I would not try to OC until you get that heat issue resolved because this is the first time for you. I'll watch the thread to see if you had gotten this reply and I will assist you in your overclock

Sorry this is a couple months old now but still relevant.

My video card right now is an 8800 GTS 512 but it died today so I'm getting another one probably a 6970. I'll also order a new PSU since I don't have the connectors for the 6970 on the existing one. I'll get an HX750W or a HX850W not sure yet.

I thought I had used enough thermal paste as I know you don't want to use to much, but I think I might not have used enough this time. I put literally the equivalent to a single 'grain of rice' not an "X" before applying the heat sink. I also thought it was running hot, but attributed that to the fact that it's 28 degrees in the room i'm in all the time and it's in a cpu box with no front door or back door but still there is maybe only 1/2 an inch on each side.

Maybe if the environment temp is what is causing the hot temps maybe I should go water?

Back