• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCFAir: Routes and Pilot Bases

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Newbie

Senior Django-loving Member
(Forked from the other thread.)

It's time to pick hubs, bases, and destinations.

I'd like to have one West Coast hub that's either Las Vegas or Phoenix-Sky Harbor and one East Coast hub (yet to be decided - input please). These will also be our major pilot bases unless there's an objection to that. Note that "hub" is something of a misnomer; "focus" or "headquarters city" is what I mean, as I don't intend to operate hub-and-spoke: I intend to operate on interconnecting routes, which is what we should be doing with the Regional Jet anyway, but airline route planners just don't get it.

Currently, our pilot bases and focus cities are:
Phoenix-Sky Harbor Int'l (KPHX/PHX), Arizona (focus city)
Cincinnatti-Northern Kentucky Int'l (KCVG/CVG), Covington, Kentucky (focus city)
Bob Hope Burbank Int'l (KBUR/BUR), Burbank, California and all Los Angeles area airports (secondary focus cities)

I want to be sort of like Western Air Lines and Pacific Air Lines. (Pacific operated up and down the West Coast on short legs with regional aircraft, high-frequency. Western was just the best airline ever.)

Destinations: All over. I'm a domestic fellow myself - but if you all want to go to Mexico or Canada or even Europe, I'm cool with that. Destinations in brackets are seasonal.

If you have a destination you want served, along with a route, post it here.

Route 01: [ Fairbanks, AK - Anchorage, AK -] Seattle - Portland - San Francisco - Los Angeles or Burbank - San Diego, somewhere in Mexico (ERJ, 727, 737-800)
Route 02: Los Angeles or Burbank - West Coast focus city (LAS or PHX) - Dallas or Houston - Atlanta (727-200, 737-800, Maddog/Long Beach Death Tube)
Route 03: San Francisco - Salt Lake City - eastward (757/767 and Airbus A320, if you're adventurous)
Route 04: West Coast focus city - Salt Lake City - Boise, Idaho or Billings, Montana

Route 05: Daytona Beach, Florida - Atlanta - Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina - New York (JFK or LGA) - Boston, Mass. (ERJ, 727, 737-800, A320, or Long Beach Death Tube*)

Nonstops: 757 and 767 between Eastern and Western focus cities.

... etc. Write your own routes and post them (especially you, chief pilot volunteers!)

Route restrictions: Due to the lack of performance of the Airbus A320, we won't operate it in the mountains as it is very much a sea level aircraft. Doing so would require us to take an allowable take-off weight penalty, which is not cool.

Restrictions: All flights will be operated in accordance with FAR Part 121, with particular reference to runway allowable takeoff weights and maximum landing weights, as well as field length required. (We will NOT buy the gas station at the end of the Burbank airport. :D )

* That's the DC-9 or MD-80/83/88/90, if you were curious.

Right now, I'm feeling Phoenix-Sky Harbor on the West Coast and Cincinnatti on the East Coast as "focus cities". The domestic route structure should connect to the international route structure at these places.

Back