• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ OC-1600, won't hit speeds? What to do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Logikos

Registered
Well.. as the title implies I have OCZ PC-1600 DDR-3 Ram.

Precisely:

OCZ Obsidian 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3OB1600LV4GK - Retail
Dual Channel for Intel Core i5 & i7 CPU & P55 chipset

Here is the link if you wish:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227495

Anyhow, 93$ Ram,.. with a $30 rebate, I haven't mailed in.. SO still RMA (able) if I wish.

This stuff won't hit 1600.. not on stock speeds..

I've tried every multiplier and FSB between 133 and 200 and SPD between 6-10.

It is most stable on auto settings (the board ramps up voltage automatically for all parts, go figure) -- If I manually set the voltages it is less stable,.. shrug.

I can run the ram at 145FSB x 10 and run Prime95 for 24hours straight without an error (I stop it then) -- I also boot with memtest ISO 4.0 and let it run a few hours at this rate -- this is the most solid 'fastest' speed I can achieve with zero errors.

Now I can go up quite a bit with 'few' errors.. but 1 error is too much for me for RAM.

At 1600 it simply isn't error free. Computer and memtest recognizes it as PC-8500.. a clue? Shrug.

I guess, any more tips for me to try? Or am I shot?

The cpu is on WC now, and at stock speeds runs 19c idle, and 30ish at full load.. so it can clock well (4.2 hasn't been an issue).

I'm thinking the RAM is the weak link here for whatever reason, and maybe some more reliable , perhaps a little more expensive different branded RAM would be more compatible with this P55-UD4P board and i5 chip.. might hit 1600 as designed?

Am I wrong?

This is OCZ, yes.. but it is 90$ OCZ.. considerably cheap imho for ddr3 1600 .. Maybe some mushkin or corsair would make things 'work' ? :)

Let me know what you think.

I told you in the last thread you started in regards to the same subject that w/ a max. DRAM multiplier of 10x, at a default BCLK of 133MHz the highest DRAM clock available is 1333MHz. If after raising the BCLK to 160MHz the RAM is unstable at 2:10, then there's a problem w/ incorrectly set BIOS settings, one or more bad sticks of RAM (which you should test individually at 1600MHz), bad DIMM slot(s), etc. Besides contacting OCZ through their Gigabyte MB support forum here:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=223

... fill out this BIOS template for the P55 w/ all of your current settings at DDR3-1600MHz (disregard the settings in the template, and replace w/ your own)...

Code:
CPU Clock Ratio 21x

Advanced Core Features [Press Enter]:

Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech. [Disabled]
CPU Cores Enabled [All]
CPU Multi-Threading [Disabled]
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) [Auto]
C3/C6/C7 State Support [Auto]
CPU Thermal Monitor [Auto]
CPU EIST Function [Auto]
Bi-Directional PROCHOT [Auto]

QPI Clock Ratio [Auto]

QPI Link Speed 6.4GHz
Uncore Clock Ratio 18x
Uncore Frequency 3600MHz

>>>>> Standard Clock Control <<<<<

Base Clock (BCLK) Control [Enabled]
BCLK Frequency [200]
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) [Enabled]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) [Disabled]
Memory Frequency (MHz) 1333 2000
PCI Express Frequency (MHz) [Auto]
C.I.A.2 [Disabled]

>>>>> Advanced Clock Control <<<<<

CPU Clock Drive [ 800mV]
PCI Express Clock Drive [ 900mV]
CPU Clock Skew [ 0ps]

Advanced Memory Settings:

Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) [Disabled]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) [10.0]
Memory Frequency (MHz) 1333 2000
Performance Enhance (SPD) [Turbo]
DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) [Expert]
Profile DDR Voltage 1.5v
Profile QPI Voltage 1.1v
Channel Interleaving 6 [Auto]
Rank Interleaving 4 [Auto]

>>>>> Channel A

Channel A Timing Settings [Press Enter]:
Cas Latency Time 9 [8]
tRCD 9 [8]
tRP 9 [9]
tRAS 24 [24]

>>>>> Channel A Advanced Timing Control

tRC 34 [Auto]
tRRD 5 [Auto]
tWTR 5 [Auto]
tWR 10 [Auto]
tWTP 21 [Auto]
tWL 7 [Auto]
tRFC 74 [Auto]
tRTP 5 [Auto]
tFAW 25 [Auto]
Command Rate (CMD) 1 [Auto]

>>>>> Channel A Misc Timing Control

B2B Cas Delay - [Auto]
Round Trip Latency 53 [Auto]

Channel A Turnaround Settings [Press Enter]:
Different DIMMs 6 [Auto]
Different DIMMs 5 [Auto]
On The Same Rank 1 [Auto]

>>>>> Channel A Writes Followed By Writes

Different DIMMs 6 [Auto]
Different DIMMs 6 [Auto]

***>>>>> Channel B

Channel B Timing Settings [Press Enter]:
Cas Latency Time 9 [8]
tRCD 9 [8]
tRP 9 [9]
tRAS 24 [24]

>>>>> Channel B Advanced Timing Control

tRC 34 [Auto]
tRRD 5 [Auto]
tWTR 5 [Auto]
tWR 10 [Auto]
tWTP 21 [Auto]
tWL 7 [Auto]
tRFC 74 [Auto]
tRTP 5 [Auto]
tFAW 25 [Auto]
Command Rate (CMD) 1 [Auto]

>>>>> Channel B Misc Timing Control

B2B Cas Delay - [Auto]
Round Trip Latency 53 [Auto]

Channel B Turnaround Settings [Press Enter]:
Different DIMMs 6 [Auto]
Different DIMMs 5 [Auto]

>>>>> Channel B Writes Followed By Writes

Different DIMMs 6 [Auto]
Different DIMMs 6 [Auto]

Advanced Voltage Settings:

******Mother Board Voltage Control ******
Voltage Types............Normal......Current
--------------------------------------------

>>> CPU
Load Line Calibration...................[Level 2]
CPU Vcore..................1.19375v..[1.41875v]
QPI/VTT Voltage..........1.100v.....[1.400v]
>>> MCH/ICH
PCH Core....................1.050v.....[Auto]
CPU PLL......................1.800v.....[Auto]
>>> DRAM
DRAM Voltage..............1.500v.....[1.660v]
DRAM Termination.........0.750v.....[Auto]
Ch-A Data VRef............0.750v.....[Auto]
Ch-A Data VRef............0.750v.....[Auto]
Ch-B Data VRef............0.750v.....[Auto]
Ch-B Data VRef............0.750v.....[Auto]

Miscellaneous Settings:

Isochronous Support...................[Enabled]
Virtualisation technology..............[Enabled]

well i hope i dont have the same problem, i got the same ram sitting waiting to be installed right now. Im running the board in my sig which supports 1600/1800/2133.
redduc900 ill try your settings, hopefully that will help the OP figure out if its the settings or his sticks

red has you in the right direction...

dill,
you wont have that problem, you using a AMD setup vs Op's Intel.

I told you in the last thread you started in regards to the same subject that w/ a max. DRAM multiplier of 10x, at a default BCLK of 133MHz the highest DRAM clock available is 1333MHz. If after raising the BCLK to 160MHz the RAM is unstable at 2:10, then there's a problem w/ incorrectly set BIOS settings, one or more bad sticks of RAM .

Well the RAM is the last piece of the puzzle I haven't perfected.. I have achieved 145 x 10, but nothing faster that will run Prime95 for 24hrs straight+ and Memtest4+ .

So at the moment I'm running 191FSB x 21, to break the 4Ghz barrier, but to keep RAM stable I have to leave it on an SPD of 6.0.

I'm not so sure it is just a 'bios setting' gone wrong, because, quite frankly, there isn't that much to change in the bios I haven't already done. (I hope there is something I'm missing though). I think this RAM just has a hard time of running at these speeds with an INTEL chipset. In an AMD board it would do fine I'm sure. These P55 SB's are so picky and want low voltages for the RAM. While this ram is rated at 1.65v,.. the bios won't usually give it that, but it will come close (maybe 2-4 1/100ths). Manual setting is 1/100th over or under and is generally less stable. For some reason the bios likes things on auto, I don't know why.

But I will take the steps you've mentioned and exhaust the avenues to see what can be done.

Which is why I ask.. worst case scenario.. This OCZ ram just isn't "compatible at 1600" with this UD4P MB.. I RMA it, and get something else that just might be an easy fit. I bet another brand, would/could be more tolerable to the 200x8 Ratio.. we'll see. Nothing wrong with OCZ, not at all. Just saying, sometimes equipment A doesn't like equipment B as much as it meshes with equipment C. :)

Thanks for the links..

Last edited:
Just saying, sometimes equipment A doesn't like equipment B as much as it meshes with equipment C. :)

Thanks for the links..
i use to think that to.. when i was one of the first with a Abit IP35-pro and some ocz ram, no problems. same speed and timings with a 2gig kit of corsair, problems.. waited a few days and new bios for the IP35 pro was out... that solved the ram problems... bios has more to do with compatibility of parts then what people think it does...

I am actually having a similar problem with my OCZ 1600mhz memory. I just built my first computer and I trying to make everything work correctly. From what I have read, I should be able to get my memory to 1600mhz by tweaking the bios? Right now I have the DRAM frequency set to 1600mhz but it shows up in CPU-Z as 800mhz or so. Can someone help me? I can provide whatever details are needed. Thanks a bunch

I am actually having a similar problem with my OCZ 1600mhz memory. I just built my first computer and I trying to make everything work correctly. From what I have read, I should be able to get my memory to 1600mhz by tweaking the bios?

In theory.. yes.

Some will respond,.. you are doing something wrong if you don't achieve the results when it very well can be an imcompatibility issue with MB hardware and/or firmware (ie: bios rom) and RAM chipset. Then some will say what I say -- It can be either or.. best to try everything you can first.. IE: Go the route that was just posted for me.. to fill out the questionaire with my settings.. to go to OCZ forums etc etc.. there is ALOT of settings that we skip on setting ram.

Most people can stick it in, and they are done.

Most others can stick it in.. adjust at most the Voltage, and the 9-9-9-24 or 7-7-7-16,.. some go as far as the 9-9-9-24-1..

The be clear here.. these numbers represent, in order:

CAS Latency-tRCD-tRP-t-RAS-CR (Command Rate).

And, the SPD multiplier can be tweaked around.. usually either auto, 6, 8, 10.

Those are your 'medium advanced/basic OC, and stability settings'. Usually gets you up and running, anything further than this is easy if you know the values (or what you are doing .. IE: and expert on ram timings and procedures.. RAM is a considerably complex entity.. most people memorize or have a generalized idea of things but don't know really what the settings they are changing represent.) Nonetheless.. there are a dozen more settings that can be altered to provide stability at the rate the RAM is specced at.

Often loosening the timings is required,.. and sometimes this opens a wider bandwidth (ie: More GB/s ) but slows overall RAM performance down than it was previously.

Prime example.

I got my ram to run at 1500Mhz (so close) stable with some VERY loose timings. I benchmark every change I make. When I set everything up as it is now,.. which is a 7-7-7-16, and PC-1150 setting.. The ram benchmarked a good 30% faster on Read, Write, Copy, and Latency. IE: Just on latency alone the PC-1500 setting was at 59ns,.. at PC-1500 it is at 41.5.

But alll in all,.. yes you should be able to eventually come to some sort of trial and error resolution to get the elusive 1600 rated speed. This will likely not be found on this forum.. as people here aren't the aforementioned trained experts in RAM. Go to OCZ, links are a few posts up. You'll find ALOT of info, and can pose your question(s) there.

Right now I have the DRAM frequency set to 1600mhz but it shows up in CPU-Z as 800mhz or so. Can someone help me? I can provide whatever details are needed. Thanks a bunch

That is accurate.

You see PC-1600 Ram IS 800Mhz ram.

It is the dual channel mode that allows it to run at 1.6Mhz.,, aka: PC-1600. CPU-Z is just reporting the actual rated Mhz timing on a low level hardware read from each chip. So no worries here mate.

See up top, where it says Channels #? It will say "Dual" there.. which basically means take DRAM Frequency and multiply it by 2.

i use to think that to.. when i was one of the first with a Abit IP35-pro and some ocz ram, no problems. same speed and timings with a 2gig kit of corsair, problems.. waited a few days and new bios for the IP35 pro was out... that solved the ram problems... bios has more to do with compatibility of parts then what people think it does...

Indeed.. I have built many systems over the last 12 years, and bios updates have done things big and small for me. Of insignificance is like the update I just performed on this p55-ud4p.. from F2 to F5. It had changes, of course,. but I would never know them if I didn't read the changelog on the website.

Now, on a larger scale.. I had a bios update that came on a Tyan motherboard in the late 90's that I originally built for a 400Mhz PII chip -- 2yrs later they released a new bios update (Tyan used to be, maybe still is.. a VERY honest, reliable, and quality brand) that allowed the maximum processor limit to be used from PII 400Mhz.. to PIII 800Mhz. This wasn't a simple increase in clock.. it was an allowance for a completely difference SOCKET size and double the speed.

You had to buy a simple adapter that fit the previously used cartridge type CPU slot to transform it into a vertical Socket CPU slot, and then just pop in your PIII 800Mhz chip, mount the HSF, and boot it up.

I know Gigabyte will release a few more bios revisions.. maybe one of them will add some stability/compatibility with RAM.

You see PC-1600 Ram IS 800Mhz ram.

It is the dual channel mode that allows it to run at 1.6Mhz.,, aka: PC-1600. CPU-Z is just reporting the actual rated Mhz timing on a low level hardware read from each chip. So no worries here mate.

See up top, where it says Channels #? It will say "Dual" there.. which basically means take DRAM Frequency and multiply it by 2.

I actually have Triple Channel ram. Does that mean I am running at 2.4mhz?

I'm having the same issue, too. I have OCZ RAM, DDR2 labeled as 1066mhz. I don't intend on hijacking this thread, but hopefully someone can point me to the right direction.

System specs:
450watt Corsair
AMD Phenom (generation 1) 9150e (B3 stepping)
Biostar (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138143)

Basically, the PC runs stable with the RAM at 800mhz FSB.

I know I'm using the bottom of the barrel quad core Phenom (paid $50 for it thru a newegg combo deal). After tinkering around with the setting I'm starting to think that my CPU is what is holding me back.

Am I correct to make that assumption? That the CPU's memory controller cannot run at 1066mhz because it's a 9150e?

I went through a gamut of settings in the BIOS, but the system crashed everytime I set it at 1066mhz.

I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to OCing AM2 systems.

Last edited:
Back