• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Platinum VX?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hold on...what exactly is speed "binning"...does it matter any if it is speed binned or not?

jcw122 said:
hold on...what exactly is speed "binning"...does it matter any if it is speed binned or not?
If an item meets a certain specification, it goes into that "bin". Athlon XP 2500+ and 3200+ are the same item, but the 3200+ rated better in testing so it got binned as a 3200+.

For memory, we'll use OCZ's TCCD modules as an example. The PC3200 Plat R2 is good TCCD, and has a lot of high overclock success. However, the Platinum PC3700 uses the "cream of the crop" of TCCD chips, so that those modules would fare better in overclocking and testing. When the chips were tested, the better ones get put onto OCZ's PCB and are labeled as the Platinum PC3700.

jcw122 said:

The current VX is hand tested in MSI 939 boards to run 240FSB 2-2-2-10 with 3.2V I think so that is what we expect all of the VX sticks to do minimum :D

lol man those specs are good enough for me! nice job u OCZ people! ...now just gotta figure out prices still...i found some VX online (2x521) but it was around $260 (US)...plus an OCZ DDR booster for 40(US) bucks...thats about 300 bucks...not TOO bad but still...lotta $$$...i could use $300 to make an LCD projector (with 16ms 15" LCD screen) for that much using that plan on the one site...i think its on Tom's Hardware...pretty cool stuff. :)

Last edited:
Steve, in your experience, how many MHz can the VX take with voltage and loose timings? I realize that OCZ doesn't officially support those numbers, but an educated guess would be good for me. I'm mainly looking for memory that will run as fast as possible and wondering what would be the better choice: VX, PC4200 dual channel platinum, or PC4400 dual channel gold. It will be 1GB (2x512) in dual channel.

The VX doesn't scale higher with loose timings. This stuff is very similar to older winbond stuff so it clocks high with tight timings then stops. If your looking for 270FSB or more get soemthing with TCCD or some EB 3500 or 3700 if you can find it.

Steve

Back