• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oem Sempron 3100+ & ECS Nforce3 motherboard combo for $79 + S/H (no rebates)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
VinnyTAMU said:
I would think that a 300watt plus PSU should do fine. I am going to use my Fortron/Sparkle 350w PSU for this mobo/psu and FX5500, 250gb SATA drive, DVD burner combo.

Great! I have a FSP 350 just sitting around with nothing to do.

MB/CPU got here today. The chip I got is definately the 130nm CG stepping. Fond hope dashed too quick. ;)

I'll probably set this up this weekend. Hopefully this low wattage CPU won't require me to sink the fets on this ECS board. I'm out.

iceage said:
Great! I have a FSP 350 just sitting around with nothing to do.

MB/CPU got here today. The chip I got is definately the 130nm CG stepping. Fond hope dashed too quick. ;)

I'll probably set this up this weekend. Hopefully this low wattage CPU won't require me to sink the fets on this ECS board. I'm out.

Congrats on the purchase,

I have been running mine for about a week now and it is a champ at 2.25GHz. I am also using a FSP300 that is powering an overclocked 9800 Pro too! This thing rocks!

Good luck with yours,
Bryan d

guys i built 2 htpc's of this combo, i only clocked them to 210htt. i should have gotten more aggressive but i was deterred because of all the negative comments/reviews i read here about ecs gear.

i paired these two ecs/3100 combos with 2x512mb of hyperx and flashed plextor 740a drives with 250gb sata1 drives.

man, i should get one of these combos for myself?

awesome deal.

Well, just got mine in the mail and I selected Gound Shipping!

Anyways the model # I got was SDA3100AIP3AX
Stepping : CBAEW 0524CPDW

I would like to start a thread for these combos to post overclocking results.

Also the sticker on the OEM processor says "32-bit"

Beginner said:
i only clocked them to 210htt. i should have gotten more aggressive but i was deterred because of all the negative comments/reviews i read here about ecs gear.
I wouldn't sweat it too much. ECS makes boards across the spectrum like many others, from garbage (pcchips) to some Abits (decent/good) to their own high end editions (decent/good).

Up the voltage a notch, lower the HTT multiplier a notch, adjust the ram divider, and let her rip ;)

VinnyTAMU said:
Ya, they all do. There are now people at other forums claiming to have installed Win XP64 beta on this combo. I ought to find my copy of XP64 and lay this issue to rest, the problem is i hate the setup process, and don't want to use some buggy OS, and then have to install regular winxp all over again.

Trying not to get my hopes up, but people in other forums keep insisting that they're 64bit (?) No biggie either way i guess.

So the only real difference between the palmero and newcastle cores is that the palermo has 256 and 128 cache?

I was always disgusted when i heard the word sempron. I always thought it was this uber crippled, avoid at all costs processor, but it doesnt seem so bad anymore.

Im thinking this for the ultimate budget rig.

this mobo and cpu = 90
1 gig pc3200 = 40 (MIR)
Forton PSU= 40
7800gs= 270 (MIR)

spare case, spare hdd, cd

So thats about $450 for the whole rig. pretty darn cheap and i bet it would perform similar to my s939 rig. LoL

I would guess it could score maybe 7000 '05 3d marks :) What do you think?

sJetski said:
I wouldn't sweat it too much. ECS makes boards across the spectrum like many others, from garbage (pcchips) to some Abits (decent/good) to their own high end editions (decent/good).

Up the voltage a notch, lower the HTT multiplier a notch, adjust the ram divider, and let her rip ;)

Ya, they all do. There are now people at other forums claiming to have installed Win XP64 beta on this combo. I ought to find my copy of XP64 and lay this issue to rest, the problem is i hate the setup process, and don't want to use some buggy OS, and then have to install regular winxp all over again.

Trying not to get my hopes up, but people in other forums keep insisting that they're 64bit (?) No biggie either way i guess.

I'll try installing 64bit Xp on it. I've got the trial cd from back when they had it up for downloading. I'll let everyone know later. My chips are the same stepping as above, btw.

VinnyTAMU said:
Well, just got mine in the mail and I selected Gound Shipping!

Anyways the model # I got was SDA3100AIP3AX
Stepping : CBAEW 0524CPDW

I would like to start a thread for these combos to post overclocking results.

thats a good idea, my buddy has this combo but with the 2800 sempron instead of the 3100. the mobo's the same.

if you start a thread please update here. he asked me about his combo's oc ability and i misinformed him by saying that "ecs is crap, don't do it". he has some hyperX. if i could tip him on how to work this board, i know he'll be happy.

beavismorpheus said:
So the only real difference between the palmero and newcastle cores is that the palermo has 256 and 128 cache?

I was always disgusted when i heard the word sempron. I always thought it was this uber crippled, avoid at all costs processor, but it doesnt seem so bad anymore.

Im thinking this for the ultimate budget rig.

this mobo and cpu = 90
1 gig pc3200 = 40 (MIR)
Forton PSU= 40
7800gs= 270 (MIR)

spare case, spare hdd, cd

So thats about $450 for the whole rig. pretty darn cheap and i bet it would perform similar to my s939 rig. LoL

I would guess it could score maybe 7000 '05 3d marks :) What do you think?

The new, "not-so-crippled" 64-bit Semprons are based on the Venice core, they are revision E6 Semprons. The Newcastle-based Semprons don't have SSE3 or AMD64, and only have 128 KB L2 cache, so they are more crippled. The Socket A Semprons are probably what gave them the bad rep. They were just Thoroughbred B CPU's with a different FSB, sometimes 128KB L2, sometimes 256K, and the PR rating was inflated to be equivalent to a Celeron rather than a P4. So you had a Sempron 2600+ that was basically an Athlon XP 2500+ with half the L2 cache disabled, which makes very little sense when you think of it as a 2600+ being worse than a 2500+ CPU of the same core.

douglasb said:
The Newcastle-based Semprons don't have SSE3 or AMD64, and only have 128 KB L2 cache, so they are more crippled.
It varies with the newcastle cores, this combo's 3100+ has 256 KB L2 cache, and more are coming out of the wordwork claiming that X64bit instuctions are left enabled. Another fellow over at the [H] forums did me a favor by testing out Win XP64 beta and he says it runs fine with the exception of some incompatible video mode, it otherwise runs fine he says.

moz_21 said:
I'll try installing 64bit Xp on it. I've got the trial cd from back when they had it up for downloading. I'll let everyone know later. My chips are the same stepping as above, btw.
Do so please! a little more confirmation never hurt, lol :)

sJetski said:
Do so please! a little more confirmation never hurt, lol :)

Hmm. On of my boards is DOA. Of course I found this out after I had it all setup in my case... :bang head I'll have to RMA it I guess.

Anyhow, the other board is ok. Its running with 2x256MB of PQI PC3200, set to 1T in the bios, and I haven't messed with any other memory or overclocking settings.

I loaded up the XP64bit cd. It booted fine and installed up to the point where it asks for the CDkey, which it turns out I recieved in an Email a long time ago and have since lost... Does that seem like proof enough that they are 64bit enabled? I never actually got into Windows, but I don't know if you can install XP64bit on a 32bit cpu either.

moz_21 said:
loaded up the XP64bit cd. It booted fine and installed up to the point where it asks for the CDkey, which it turns out I recieved in an Email a long time ago and have since lost... Does that seem like proof enough that they are 64bit enabled? I never actually got into Windows, but I don't know if you can install XP64bit on a 32bit cpu either.
if not 64 bit enable you get stuck at setup screen ( the blue) and it say not 64 bit cpu i think. i did it went i change 64 bit to 32 bit and hope to reinstall like that :D[/QUOTE]

HSF? FX55 (s939) HSF compatible?

Anyone know if the stock heatsink from a s939 FX55 will be compatible? Thanks for the help!

Banyan said:
i dont think installing xp64 means much as it is capable of running 32bit

Yeah I wasn't sure if the setup portion was actually 64bit, but it didn't lock up or anything, I just don't have the email with the key to continue further installation.

Anyhow, an update. I loaded plain ol' XP on it and ran CPUZ, it shows 256KB of cache and AMD-64 instructions, Paris core.

is it ok to test the cpu without a heatsink? I want to test it for now to see if it works. im thinking of blowing some air on it with a portable fan just long enough to see if the system posts. only a few seconds. i dont want to install a heat sink just to see if i need to request an RMA. the one guy said his motherboard was DOA so now i want to test.

Also, is it immoral to sell a computer as new if all you did was take it out of the packaging to see if it works?

beavismorpheus said:
is it ok to test the cpu without a heatsink? I want to test it for now to see if it works. im thinking of blowing some air on it with a portable fan just long enough to see if the system posts. only a few seconds. i dont want to install a heat sink just to see if i need to request an RMA. the one guy said his motherboard was DOA so now i want to test.
Don't even consider it.

If you don't kill it within those few seconds, you could severely cripple it.

How long is the warranty on the mobo anyway? i would think you had enough time to get a heatsink shipped to you in the meantime.

Edit: or were you joking? lol

SpeedPrez said:
Anyone know if the stock heatsink from a s939 FX55 will be compatible? Thanks for the help!
yes

lol :eek:

what would you do? use a HSF w/ thermal grease and then remove it all w/ alcohol?

the prediciment is i want to sell legitimate new systems. Im waiting on other components and that would really suck if all the peices got here after the RMA period ends.

Whats outposts RMA/warranty TOS? Ive never had to RMA anything.

moz_21 said:
Yeah I wasn't sure if the setup portion was actually 64bit, but it didn't lock up or anything, I just don't have the email with the key to continue further installation.

Anyhow, an update. I loaded plain ol' XP on it and ran CPUZ, it shows 256KB of cache and AMD-64 instructions, Paris core.

Well I tried to put windows XP-64 on my system, the installation went fine but when it came time for the reboot and actually get into the operating system the system kept freezing. This is my first shot at install a 64 bit operating system, but by the looks of it the OS didn't like my Proc. So for me I don't think my chip is a 64bit enabled chip. However YMMV.

Back