• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OEM Windows XP and Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hungryhungry123

Registered
Hi,
I've just ordered Windows XP Home OEM, and am aware that it effectively "melds" your hardware and software together, in that if you change a major component it will not work again.

I was wondering if overclocking your processor would cause a big enough change for Windows to refuse to run? For example the barton 2500 to 3200.

Thanks

No, it would run fine. XP loads basic drivers for almost anything you hook up to it. Even if you change your mobo or video card or something else you should do a reformat for, it will work, but be really crappy. Generally just changing the processor won't affect much, unless its a stitch from one type of processor to another (athlon xp to p4 for example).

Not to threadjack or anything, but I'm considering buying an OEM copy of XP Pro...one of my friends said that you could not update with an OEM version, is this true? Is M$ so power hungry that they'd deny SP1/SP2 for people who paid for their software?

R0CK3TM4NN said:
Not to threadjack or anything, but I'm considering buying an OEM copy of XP Pro...one of my friends said that you could not update with an OEM version, is this true? Is M$ so power hungry that they'd deny SP1/SP2 for people who paid for their software?
NO, that is not true, the only difference with OEM is that if you want support you gotta pay, but how often do you call microsoft for support?

Syx said:
NO, that is not true, the only difference with OEM is that if you want support you gotta pay, but how often do you call microsoft for support?

exactly. and xp doesnt really need support, its all built into the system, and theres tons of info on the net if you need it. OEM just means its made by microsoft and your getting it directly from them. its the same thing places like DELL and HP use. the only requirement is that you have to buy it with hardware, but a simple molex Y splitter covers that. and you do get updates, so dont worry ;)

dell ship an oem version with their pc's, oem just means that it doesn't have box and that other stuff that useally comes with retail xp

The real difference between OEM and retail is that OEM is supposed to be bound to the computer it was purchased with. Retail can be removed and installed on another machine.

Back