• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Official" 9800GTX specs released

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Mr. Roboto said:
Man it seems like I've been waiting forever to get a new video card. Hopefully they come out at a decent price. The video card of my rig has been the weakest link since day 1.

A 7900 GT is holding you back? Have you tried the V-mod and overclocked the hell out of it? I had mine to 725 core and 900 on the mem with the 1.5V v-mod. It took every game like a champ with 4x AA and 8 x AF with my 2.6 Ghz Opteron at 1920 x 1080. It shouldn't be holding you back much at all except the lack of DX10, which is kinda moot at the moment.

There's one grain of salt to take with those specs, aside from the fact that they could just be fake altogether. Don't get too excited over the total FLOP estimates, they specifically say that each shader is improved to do 3 Floating Point Operations per cycle which obvioulsy increases the FLOP rating. That's a good thing for software optimized to run operations with such combinations but it may or may not mean anything for games. If the drivers as a whole can be enhanced to re-work operations great, or even if there can be game-specific optimizations but if it requires developers to specifically write their code that way then it may not matter. Counting FLOPs this way is partly how ATi's GPU gets such a high FLOP rating but it doesn't directly translate into usefiulness for games.

all i gotta say is it took long enough to get 512bit wide memory paths. i just hope they stick to those specs. Good thing i havent bought a 8800 yet, long hail 7900gt ko's!

lol. I did see some of the funny looking specs, as someone pointed out... audio? I don't want my graphics card to do audio. I want it to do graphics and don't waste any horsepower doing anything else. What's it going to do next, physics and raw cpu cycles while doing it's graphics? lol Maybe I just can't even venture a guess what the green boys have up their sleeves, and i wanna know damnit!

Regarding DX10 on 8 series, the guy who said Virtualization is correct in that the 8 series is written AS DirectX10, NOT DirectX10 compatible (last time i checked at least). And Microsoft CHANGED Virtualization as being OPTIONAL last minute, just so 8 series can be written down as DX10 certified.

However, if the 9 series is DirectX10.1, I think that's different then DirectX10. Just have to wait and see what that's all about =|

Evilsizer said:
all i gotta say is it took long enough to get 512bit wide memory paths. i just hope they stick to those specs. Good thing i havent bought a 8800 yet, long hail 7900gt ko's!

The 512bit memory was the first thing that caught my eye. I've been waiting on this as well (that's why I bought the 1800xl).

What in God's name would someone need this card for? What can't the GTX handle in SLI?

It at least better be smaller than it...

Although it sounds droolworthy, as the above poster said, I will wait until I start seeing some real-world reviews before getting any hopes up.

Also... an Audio DAC? WTF!?

Audio DAC was probably added because nvidia thought yeah this card is big enough it wont hurt to add a nice useless extra that uses the graphics to make things equal...

^^ thats a bit way over board but yeah wtf does a graphics card need a onboard audio chip for? Anyone with a media center pc I'm sure has enough sense to buy a separate $80 sound card to go with the big theater speakers and rather than using some crappy IAP sound..lol

Mathersalan said:
Audio DAC was probably added because nvidia thought yeah this card is big enough it wont hurt to add a nice useless extra that uses the graphics to make things equal...

^^ thats a bit way over board but yeah wtf does a graphics card need a onboard audio chip for? Anyone with a media center pc I'm sure has enough sense to buy a separate $80 sound card to go with the big theater speakers and rather than using some crappy IAP sound..lol
One cable solutions. Is it an essential? No. But it's a nice little feature they can use to jack up the price. Besides, hdmi1.3 is supposed to have autosynching between audio and video which is a very useful feature for movies since some high-end display and HT reciever combinations can introduce audio lag due to the speed that the video is internally processed versus the audio. Again, it's not absolutely necessary but it's a cool feature. My bet is the audio chip is purely for digital audio passthrough purposes and is not an actual standalone audio processor.

Prodigious said:
One cable solutions. Is it an essential? No. But it's a nice little feature they can use to jack up the price. Besides, hdmi1.3 is supposed to have autosynching between audio and video which is a very useful feature for movies since some high-end display and HT reciever combinations can introduce audio lag due to the speed that the video is internally processed versus the audio. Again, it's not absolutely necessary but it's a cool feature. My bet is the audio chip is purely for digital audio passthrough purposes and is not an actual standalone audio processor.

I would agree here. Its an audio chip that I would imagine just processes audio into a digital stream so you can use HDMI out that has both audio and video signals like the 2900 does. I would not bet on it having ANY analog capability.

At least dedicated chips running audio is much better than having it run natively on the graphics card itself.

Burninate said:
A 7900 GT is holding you back? Have you tried the V-mod and overclocked the hell out of it? I had mine to 725 core and 900 on the mem with the 1.5V v-mod. It took every game like a champ with 4x AA and 8 x AF with my 2.6 Ghz Opteron at 1920 x 1080. It shouldn't be holding you back much at all except the lack of DX10, which is kinda moot at the moment.

I too may be a little late to the game, but a 7900GT volt modded kicks arse. I had mine only on a 1.4v mod and was clocking 650/1600. Ran FEAR, STALKER, DODS, CSS, HL2 completely fine. I was just weak on the CPU... until now :beer:

TruSlice said:
What in God's name would someone need this card for? What can't the GTX handle in SLI?

It at least better be smaller than it...

what if you don't want SLI?

CGR said:
It will probably cost your soul to get though. Noway that will be anywhere near a reasonable price when it comes out.

would cost the same as any past high end card would $500-$700 US on release.

Awesomeness said:
eDRAM die for "FREE 4xAA".

Everyone saw that, right? Free AA on mega-resolutions? Yes please.

Also, 9800 ololATIwtf. Has Nvidia ever released a "Pro" or "XT" flavor? I hope they don't this time or confusion will abound.

By the time I get around to upgrading to VISTA, this will probably be the architecture I go with for a GPU upgrade. The 8X00 series is a monster at DX9, but DX10 performance is still somewhat lacking in my book (and why do you need a DX9/10 hybrid card like the 8X00 if you aren't drinking the VISTA juice anyways? 79XX cards are more than enough).

Vipasnipa said:
Everyone saw that, right? Free AA on mega-resolutions? Yes please.

Also, 9800 ololATIwtf. Has Nvidia ever released a "Pro" or "XT" flavor? I hope they don't this time or confusion will abound.

By the time I get around to upgrading to VISTA, this will probably be the architecture I go with for a GPU upgrade. The 8X00 series is a monster at DX9, but DX10 performance is still somewhat lacking in my book (and why do you need a DX9/10 hybrid card like the 8X00 if you aren't drinking the VISTA juice anyways? 79XX cards are more than enough).

Benching!:)