• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official SP2 Bugs/Technical Issues Support Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I had a favorite app break after SP2. It worked with SP1 and DX9. I excluded it from DEP but that wasn't the problem. It is called reso.exe and it was handy for resizing and changing color resolution of the screen when launching an app that isn't DX.x capable.

Update: Well it wasn't SP2 that was the problem, it was the latest nVidia downloaded drivers. I went with the Microsoft/nVidia WDM driver and now all is well even if my Sandra score might drop a few points :p

Last edited:
XPSP2 Problem...

Hey guys,

Well I have been trying to update my copy of xpsp1 to sp2 error free for some time now. No luck so far. This error still keeps on popping up even after the fourth clean install. I never had this problem with xpsp1 or any of the xpsp2 pre builts, it just started with the final sp2 version. I start getting an explorer.exe error in shell32.dll everytime I right click the mouse on drive, folder, file etc. Also, when I highlight files to delete them, then click delete, the same error appears. First error tells you explorer.exe cause an error in shell32.dll, do you want to debug or cancel. If you press debug, it goes to another error box saying the same thing, debug or cancel, then if you press debug, it will crash windows. If you just click cancel on the error boxes, all it will do is kill explorer and restart it. Funny thing is that after you do the cancel click and explorer retarts, the error leaves after several times. Also I have noticed that if I log off and log in several times after the error occurs, the error leaves also. Another funny thing is that after the error is gone in the current windows session, it can come back. Also sometimes when you right click on a drive, for say the C: drive to go to the properties, explorer will just restart itself.

Well it only gets annoying when you right click, copy, delete etc. Everything else in windows seems to work fine. Any idea what it can be cause I read it had to do with the shell32.dll having invalid data, but I don't really know. Help me out if you know of any solution.

Thanks,
dja2k

I did a fresh install copy of xpsp1 then updated to xpsp2 via the 266 mb sp2 update from microsoft.

Programs that are known to experience a loss of functionality when they run on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2

Personally i had 0 problems exceptin that after install my pc booted to a dark screen ( scared as hell ) ... the reset solved all my problems.

I know that Dr.DivX experience a bad bug with sp2 concernin the right click option ( iexplorer crashes ).

Back