• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oh, damnit...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Axle

So I plug my brand new Tbred 'b' into an Abit KR7A-r, but at the same time snap back in my 4th stick of 256 DDR2100 (Micron, I think) into slot 4... there're a bunch of wires, it's giving me a rough time, but brute strenght comes through & I think I hear it click.

So I turn it on. No post, a little alarmed, and I think I smell something burning. So I turn it off, and pull the ram I just put in- it singed the hair off my fingers :)mad: ) and I drop it on the floor. 5 minutes later it's still too hot to touch... and it still wont post.

From my searches here I just realized that the Abit probably doesn't support the 2100+? Please? Tell me it's true & I haven't broken something else? I'm a little upset... espically tell me I didnt just fry my drives.. their RAIDers & I've more gigs of stuff on them than I have hair...

I tested the ram (all of it) in another rig.. works fine.

:[

I did this to my gigabyte motherboard, it took my stick of ram with it though. That was all it hurt, it didnt mess up my proc or drives.

I wish ya luck.

Maybe your mobo just didn't like that RAM. As a thought, check the RAM brands to be sure. Sometimes, different brands of RAM don't like each other that well.

WHY NO POST!!

I changed back to the 1700 that was in it before, tried ram (all different kinds- I have 3 Kingston (I think), and 1 Micron (as well as my new Crutial) ) in every possible combination, and it still wont post!!! AHH!!

I dont really case about the board anymore (just ordered an NF7- newegg refurb- $79), but these two 80GB drives are in RAID0... how do I get my data off them!?! It's really important stuff.

Please help me..
:[

I doubt you killed your drives. When your new board comes, put all your stuff back in, and I am sure you won't have any problems. I would avoid mixing ram like that, I hear it can cause a lot of problems.

WOO!! I'm offcally the biggest idiot in the nothern hemisphere. After swaping a new vid card, PSU, all kinds of ram, HDs, unplugging everything, clearing the CMOS 8-11 thousand times, I take my TC4 off to take the chip out... and find it's not on right :D

Looking foward to that new NF7-S & thank you all for the help, even if I am mentally challanged.

Back