• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old Athlon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alaric

While stripping the case donor for my father/daughter PC build n mod I decided to see what CPU is in it. The model # on the chip is AXDA2000DKT3C , which comes up as this http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Athlon XP 2000+ - AXDA2000DKT3C.html So far , so good. But when the stepping # wasn't listed , I ran that and came up with this http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Mobile Athlon XP-M 1500+ - AXMD1500FQQ3B.html The mobo is apparently this one http://www.amazon.com/Amptron-BookPC-Mainboard-BKi810-E206922/dp/B00456SQZQ

Obviously it isn't a XP M , because this is not a laptop. Any ideas or is it just one of those crazy AMD things and not worth worrying about ?

Common 2000+ T-bred core.
CPU World sometimes doesn't list all the steppings.
It's nothing special.

Oh I didn't think it was anything out of the ordinary , I was just curious as to what it was. After I get my daughter's rig up and running I may let her play with the Athlon on a bench , and see how fast she can make it go before letting out the magic smoke.

Should go to around 2400. They're pretty tough chips. They'll take 2v. Pretty much the only way you'll kill it is about 2 seconds without a heatsink, or crack the core. Have fun. :)

I'm thinking we may do it before we play with the first gen Phenom in her PC. It might be good for her to see she can get results before trying one that will refuse to cooperate.

Chip's stepping should be right below the model # of the chip.
Here's an example:
AMD_Athlon_XP_2400____2600__Socket_A.jpg

This one shows it to be a 2600+ with it's stepping being AQYHA followed by it's date, 0543 (43rd week of 2005).
All Socket A's with the label like this one will read the same way, really older ones such as a Thunderbird, older Duron or even a Palomino have the info printed directly on the die itself.

Yup. I just don't have any way to take a hi rez picture. Chip reads: AXDA2000KT3C 4103806290472
AIRDA 0222MPMW 1999 AMD

Common 2000+ T-bred core.
CPU World sometimes doesn't list all the steppings.
It's nothing special.

If it's AIUCB, don't expect higher than 2.0.

For AIRDA, I dunno.

- - - Updated - - -

Should go to around 2400.

You can probably skip that, for AIUCBs.

Try to do 2.1 on an AIUCB and you probably get a total boot failure or a boot loader error.

AIUCB also is shown being below average in OC stats.

Love love love the old Athlons :) Hopefully this goes to a good home for actual use of some sort.

Run it until this,
burnt-cpu-jpg.53104

If it's AIUCB, don't expect higher than 2.0.

For AIRDA, I dunno.

- - - Updated - - -

You can probably skip that, for AIUCBs.

Try to do 2.1 on an AIUCB and you probably get a total boot failure or a boot loader error.

AIUCB also is shown being below average in OC stats.

Didn't have the stepping when I through the number out there. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Run it until this,
burnt-cpu-jpg.53104

Looks like it already was. lol

Don't forget, the real clock speed for a Athlon XP 2000+ is 1667MHZ, the 2000MHZ is the rated speed. I have 1 of those CPU's my self :)

The top looks good , it just seems to have been squeezed until it stained it's drawers.

Yeah, someone squeezed the **** out of that one.
Had the same thing happen to a 2000+ Pally a long time ago but for a different reason - One of the little felt spacer pads had came off but didn't know/notice until the damage was already done. Has the same dark spot underneath as shown in the pic you have. Be sure those little pads are there and not wanting to come off when you install the heatsink on one or else. Be careful about using solvents/cleanup chemicals on these CPUs such as the Arctic Silver 2 in 1 stuff, that will cause the glue holding these pads on to dissolve and they will let go.

I have a couple of chips I need to re-glue these onto and will do that one day.

Nah. Most of my socket A's have no pads on them at all. Just have to be careful when you do your mount. ;)

Back