• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OMG!! I found big fans!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That Torin fan ya'll are talking about isn't exactly powerful, but it *is* designed for quiet operation. Torin-Sifan doesn't make the DDG series anymore, most of them are going / have gone to surplus vendors like the one linked above. Even at 24v, it should be fairly quiet... at 12v, you won't hear a thing.

I'd be surprised if it arrives in perfect glossy finish like the photo shows, but if it does... that's quite a steal at $13.

Korndog, i noticed the 24V too and looked up the AC adaptor/transformer (there cheep too) then started looking at all the rheostats they had on their sight. im NO electrition so the list was a bit overwhelming...are you getting a rheo from them? if so which one?

BTW GREAT find!!

This is a transformer:
transformer.jpg

Transformers have all types of outputs but your standard model will have a 'main' and a 'secondary'. It will look something like, "48v main, 12v secondary'. This means, send in 48v in one pair of lines, 12v comes out the second. This is represented in my amazingly accurate picture by the Galvatron's feet and shoulders.

That would be preferred over making your own dc>ac>dc converter like Korndog was inferring... at least I *hope* he was talking about that...

if not...

warning =p

Transformers are not designed to work with DC. Your DC power supply will basically see the transformer as a large resister and would either throw your PSU's circuit protection, or you'll see a brief whisp of smoke.

If you wanted to make your own DC psu with a transformer, you would go...

115vac===>115/24vac Transformer=>24vac===>Bridge Rectifier

Bridge rectifier+ (positive) -> Positive 24vdc to fan
Bridge rectifier- (negative) -> Negative 24vdc to fan
Ideally, you would put a capacitor network inbetween the fan (load) and the diode (bridge) to clean the power a bit, but others would argue the neccessity of this for a simple fan.

Anyway...

I'll repeat...
Do NOT put a transformer on your DC power supply.

Last edited:
dang those are some massive fans!!!!! tobad it invovles so much work to get them to work with a PC, otherwise i would buy one just for the hell of it

yep, thinking about ordering another one now too
think about, one on each side of your case, kind look like a jet plane, lol

Trying to solve the 24V problem I've come across the MAX775 chip, which will provide -12V from a 12V (or even 5V) supply. I havn't found a place that has them in stock though.

I think I would prefer to get one of those plug in step downs and then running a relay off the PSU and then a rheostat and finally the blower. Building a power supply would be slightly cheaper but probably not as neat or as trust worthy atleast in my mind.

wow, i love that blower. its still kinda small for 85 cfm though, i bet it will be kinda loud at 24v. but if you mount it veritcly on your side panel you could direct the majority of the air over your cpu with a duct and then use mabe 1/5 of it for your vid card/nb.

one thing you might be able to do if you can fabricate metal parts is mount two right next to each other at an angle so the outlet line up and then you have a 4'x4' outlet that pushes 170cfm and looks totaly wicked. and if you do that on both side panels to get the jet engine look , you would still be barely over that wall transformer's 2 amp output powering all four blowers.

cstarritt said:
wow, i love that blower. its still kinda small for 85 cfm though, i bet it will be kinda loud at 24v. but if you mount it veritcly on your side panel you could direct the majority of the air over your cpu with a duct and then use mabe 1/5 of it for your vid card/nb.

I'd like to find a way to use that blower as a CPU fan. The SP-97 should be arriving tomorrow, and I'm gonna do my best to mount the blower on it. I think it's worth a shot.

Hoot said:
The 120mm x 38mm Sanyo Denki 100cfm fans are very nice fans. I have a couple. At $5.95 each this is a definite Hoot Two Thumbs Up! I'll be ordering some myself. Thanks Korndog for the link to this site.

Hoot
may i ask how loud these are?

Havoc_ said:

How many DB do you think this thing puts out?
lol, probably close to vacuum loud, 60-70dba
if i got something like that i'd run it at 5v lol, it would probably need its own psu as well

Whoa, great find. I'm contemplating about getting a blower for my new 2x120mm single pass rad. The dimensions of the whole blower is 4 1/4" x 4 1/4" x 4 1/4"?

Ouu, Look at these suckers.

yea, those look sweet
i think cather has the same ones.
i would have gotten it, but its huge..
i think thats 14" x 4 1/4 x 5

Soja said:
Whoa, great find. I'm contemplating about getting a blower for my new 2x120mm single pass rad. The dimensions of the whole blower is 4 1/4" x 4 1/4" x 4 1/4"?

Ouu, Look at these suckers.

Those look near identical to the one I use. I think mine is the next model up (650CFM), but basically it appears to exactly the same blower. Crap. I paid MUCH more than that for mine. :(

You want fannage? There's your fannage. Would make an excellent choice for air-flow test-beds too.

Back