• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

On a scale of 1 - 10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lumen

*EDIT

Inline Cooling System for my Chieftec Dragon case.(w/o window)

11-125-117-04.JPG

Water Block: MAZE3
3"H x 2.125"W x 7/8"D
AMD Processor Copper Top
1/2' Fittings Polypropylene

Water Pump: Ehiem 1250
110/120V - 317GPH

Radiator: Chevette Pro Core
1/2" Barbs
6" H x 7"H x 2"T

Tubing: 1/2" High Grade Tygon Tubinf
1/2"D x 3/32" Wall

I will most likely be using 120mm front fan, 120mm(86.5 cfm, 35.5dB) top fan, 80mm(76cfm) (2) rear fan & 92mm(?) side panel fan.

Most likely only going to start with CPU Water Cooling but will eventually extend to GPU as well.

Last edited:
Prolly ~45 dB I am guessing, not sure on that fan. Why would temps be higher if you didn't have a reservoir?

1/2" allows water to flow faster throughout the system, if you have a decent GPH pump (which with the 1250, in your case, you do). So, since you do, you might get better temps with a 1/2" setup.

I think a 170mm fan fits pretty good on heatercores, but I am not sure on that one - they would move a little bit more air at a better noise/dB ratio.

i dont think such a setup can be given a rating since you dont really describe a setup at all... just a couple parts and those seem to be based on looks more than anything. Setup hasn't been described so no rating can be given.

safemode said:
i dont think such a setup can be given a rating since you dont really describe a setup at all... just a couple parts and those seem to be based on looks more than anything. Setup hasn't been described so no rating can be given.
That was written with the impression that people knew about the products. None of the parts have been chosen by how they look, give me a break. I dont have a window and I dont care what it looks like inside the case. Instead of taking immature shots at the "n00b" term i have bestowed on myself, you could not post if you are not informed on the products. I have looked into the products pretty well, and have made necessary changes based on friends reccomendations and on some people on the board. Just trying to get feedback on something im not 100% solid on.

Last edited:
immature shots at the "noob" term? i didn't mention anything at all about a newbie. The parts dont make the setup, it's the connection of the parts that complete the setup and you dont describe that or the case that they're going in and orientation at all. You dont describe the tubing that's going to be used or the amount of tubing. I said it was based on looks because you seem to be space constrained yet you are using a rather large pump, you buy a chevette heatercore seemingly to save money yet the pump you bought is three times as much as alternatives that are also smaller, saving space. Then there's the copper top and brass fittings, somewhat overkill but the poly fittings are just as good and in some ways better than brass fittings so the reason why you chose them would have to be either paranoia or looks. It's definitely not price. The pros or cons of the size of the fittings is obvious. You find out the size of the channel in the waterblock and you get a fitting that's the same size. You get tubing that fits that size and you get a pump with fittings for that size since that's (wb) probably the smallest channel the water is going to flow through in the entire system. There is no point in getting larger tubing and larger fittings when you end up constricting it in the block. You're just making your pump push around more water than can be useful.

That is what i meant by not describing your setup. you simply name some products and expect us to magically figure out how you're going to use them? Products dont make the setup. This is why no rating can be given. If you wanted people to rate those components then you're just wasting your time. They're all very popular and widely used components that have already proven they are quality products. All you'd get here is just a reiteration of that fact.

safemode said:
They're all very popular and widely used components that have already proven they are quality products.
thats all i wanted to know. Maybe i didnt state myself clearly. I wanted to know if those parts where high quality and were well used. The brass was just an accident (sorry). "Saving space" refers to exterior not interior. This entire arguement seems to be based on unclear communication.:beer:

I will now edit that post giving full information on the "setup"

ps i was under the immpression that chevette is one of the best radiators.??

*EDIT

Inline Cooling System for my Chieftec Dragon case.(w/o window)

11-125-117-04.JPG

Water Block: MAZE3
3"H x 2.125"W x 7/8"D
AMD Processor Copper Top
1/2' Fittings Polypropylene

Water Pump: Ehiem 1250
110/120V - 317GPH

Radiator: Chevette Pro Core
1/2" Barbs
6" H x 7"H x 2"T

Tubing: 1/2" High Grade Tygon Tubinf
1/2"D x 3/32" Wall

I will most likely be using 120mm front fan, 120mm(86.5 cfm, 35.5dB) top fan, 80mm(76cfm) (2) rear fan & 92mm(?) side panel fan.

Most likely only going to start with CPU Water Cooling but will eventually extend to GPU as well.

safemode said:
The pros or cons of the size of the fittings is obvious. You find out the size of the channel in the waterblock and you get a fitting that's the same size. You get tubing that fits that size and you get a pump with fittings for that size since that's (wb) probably the smallest channel the water is going to flow through in the entire system. There is no point in getting larger tubing and larger fittings when you end up constricting it in the block. You're just making your pump push around more water than can be useful.

Really? I would think that bigger tubing than block would cause the water to go FAST through the block, and thus more cooling. With 1/2 tubing and 1/4 block, you would still get more water = more cooling than using 1/4 tubing 1/4 block, no? What am I missing?

none1 said:

Really? I would think that bigger tubing than block would cause the water to go FAST through the block, and thus more cooling. With 1/2 tubing and 1/4 block, you would still get more water = more cooling than using 1/4 tubing 1/4 block, no? What am I missing?
------------------------------------------
See next quote...

------------------------------------------
msmasitti said:
1/2" allows water to flow faster throughout the system, if you have a decent GPH pump (which with the 1250, in your case, you do). So, since you do, you might get better temps with a 1/2" setup.

Wharehouse, I've never watercooled, but have been looking recently. The parts you have look fine, are at least well known and used enough for me to recognize them as not junk. :) Don't know if these parts rock, but others use them and they work.

Not knowing what i'm doing, here are a couple thoughts.

1) What about a "shroud" to focus the air from the fan to the heatercore?
http://dtekcustoms.safeshopper.com/19/43.htm?857

I've seen articles where folks just make their own shroud with cardboard too.

2) I don't know that chevette heatercores are the "BEST". I think the key is they are small, so they fit in the case, and they are very common, cheap, and they work. I mean, a big caprice or caddy heater core would certainly cool better, but probably would not fit in the case. :)

3) air trap mechanism? either a resivoir, or extra tube (forget what its called) with T- adapter - tube extends up high, catches air bubbles, and more water can be added here.

Good luck, I hope to join you in a few weeks as a watercooled n00b. :)

none1 said:
Wharehouse, I've never watercooled, but have been looking recently. The parts you have look fine, are at least well known and used enough for me to recognize them as not junk. :) Don't know if these parts rock, but others use them and they work.

Not knowing what i'm doing, here are a couple thoughts.

1) What about a "shroud" to focus the air from the fan to the heatercore?
http://dtekcustoms.safeshopper.com/19/43.htm?857

I've seen articles where folks just make their own shroud with cardboard too.

2) I don't know that chevette heatercores are the "BEST". I think the key is they are small, so they fit in the case, and they are very common, cheap, and they work. I mean, a big caprice or caddy heater core would certainly cool better, but probably would not fit in the case. :)

3) air trap mechanism? either a resivoir, or extra tube (forget what its called) with T- adapter - tube extends up high, catches air bubbles, and more water can be added here.

Good luck, I hope to join you in a few weeks as a watercooled n00b. :)
yah i was gonna get a shroud, just didnt put it on there, thanks for your input!

Back