• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

One over my parts, upgrading system!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sw0mgt

Registered
The system is for professional audio recording; thus, quietness is a concern! It will never be used for gaming. I will probably not OC very much, but I want to make sure the system will be cool enough until I'm ready a few years later to do water-cooling. Is the 650W PSU sufficient? I bought it in 2007.

New parts:

Mobo:
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU:
Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73930K

CPU heatsink:
Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 140mm and 120mm SSO CPU Cooler

RAM:
2 x G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

Case:
COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

To be used with these old components:
SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-650HT 650W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

1x Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

1x Western Digital AV-GP WD10EVDS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal AV Hard Drive -Bare Drive

PLEXTOR Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 10X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA Super Multi DVD Burner

SIIG FireWire 2-Port PCIe Model NN-E20012-S2 -- Must work with new parts for audio recording!!

Replacing:
ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor BX80562Q6600

4x Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC22G6400LLK

Should I see a good increase in performance?

Thank you, kindly!

Last edited:
You can get by with a much cheaper motherboard. Since your into recording, I'd imagine you're looking for a very silent case. NH-D14 is a good choice for that, but I'd look into getting a different case. I've built in the HAF series and while it's great for airflow, it's not very quiet. The Fractal Design Arc Midi should be much quieter.

You can get by with a much cheaper motherboard as well.

Note the 3930K does not have any form of onboard video, you need a video card. There are some low-end passively cooled cards that should be fine since all you need is to output to a monitor.

I forgot to post my video card in the original thread. It can now be seen above (GTS 8800).

Thank you for the tip on the case! Quietness is indeed a big concern.

Instead of the RIVE... maybe a P9X79 Deluxe? I chose the RIVE because I want good MOJO.

I'm confused...

If you're saying, I want to buy an expensive motherboard because I can afford it even if I don't need it or never will use it to its capabilities, then go ahead and buy whatever you want. I personally hate wasting money, even if I have money to waste.

The RIVE was built for extreme (liquid nitrogen, dry ice) cooling and setting world records.

I'm confused...

If you're saying, I want to buy an expensive motherboard because I can afford it even if I don't need it or never will use it to its capabilities, then go ahead and buy whatever you want. I personally hate wasting money, even if I have money to waste.

The RIVE was built for extreme (liquid nitrogen, dry ice) cooling and setting world records.
Sometimes products that get more attention in the shop come with certain intangibles, like better quality control, raw materials or testing. I don't appreciate your bite, but certainly your assistance at determining what I need.

Thanks for the help so far :) Still wondering what a more appropriate mobo would be.

The less popular, original use of MOJO (ie. not Austin Powers) is a term from African Folk Magic, meaning an item with special powers.

I apologize, patience isn't exactly my strong suit. :chair:
Hehe no problem, with knowledge often comes lack of patience.

Any thoughts on a good Mobo? I was looking at the P9X79 but the reviews on NewEgg were terrible. Lots of DOA and faltering boards. I also read the Sabertooths are over-priced and trendy/hyped up.

Back