• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Only 2gb of ram, how do I pagefile an ssd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

The title explains it all, I have only 2gb ram and it REALLY slows down my laptop even with a 250gb samsung 850 evo installed. So how do I use some of the ssd for pagefiling and thus increasing speed? The laptop's max ram is 4gb. 2gb is in there now and I have two 2gb crucial sticks coming in the mail. :confused:

If your os is installed on the ssd, the page file is already on it. ;)

How about you post a screenshot up of #3 from ATMS link so we can check for you.

Yes.. his link. And maybe I meant #4.. post both.

Looking at your system settings you only have one hdd, that ssd. That means your OS is on it and your page file is also on it already. By default, your page file is dynamic (means it changes/grows) when it gets full. Still post screen shots up of #3 and #4 so we can see what's doing.

Dear God man...

In post 2, there is a link. In that link are numbered instructuons. Please post screenshots of #3 and #4 from those instructions.

You already have your page file on the ssd. It's already huge at 10GB. Set it from 2000 to 6000. You won't need more than that even with 1gb of ram.

The ram is going to make the difference. As fast as ssds are, ram is exponentially faster.

Set it from 2000(2GB) to 6000(6GB). 10000(10GB) is way too much... you wont ever use that on a laptop.

When you get new ram, leave it alone.

If you haven't got any space issues, why wouldn't you just max out the page file? Virtual memory isn't the equal of physical ram, but I'm not sure how much slower it is. Maybe as much as 50 percent? If that were true you'd need twice as much virtual memory to reach the 6gb (a d once again I'm not sure of the ratio)

If you haven't got any space issues, why wouldn't you just max out the page file? Virtual memory isn't the equal of physical ram, but I'm not sure how much slower it is. Maybe as much as 50 percent? If that were true you'd need twice as much virtual memory to reach the 6gb (a d once again I'm not sure of the ratio)
:shrug: :screwy:

A page file, even if it is on an SSD is EXPONENTIALLY slower than system ram. A typical SSD writes, at best, around 500MB/s. Writes on DDR4 memory with an Intel Octo core, are over 47,000MB/s. So it is, in this case, around 94x slower!!!

Also, the speed really has nothing to do with the capacity needed for your page file...

EDIT: I wonder if the OP is going to make his way back here and answer my post...

:rofl:...

The OP is... but he was trying to improve performance by moving the page file on the SSD, that is already on it, because its the only drive in his laptop...

Back