• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinions about 6800 GT versus 2 6800's in SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

If you were to apply your knowledge,how would you compare a single 6800GT (16 pipes)AGP versus two 6800's(12 pipelines each) in 16x SLI mode? How much of a performance gain do you think I would pick up with the SLI setup for gaming and benchmarking?

You would be better off getting a single 7800 or 7900 series card over two older 6800 non-GT cards. If a game didn't work with SLI, you'd get worse performance than your GT also. The newer cards would also support more features.

-Rav

hmm... I can get a pair of these cards for about $250-270, at that price do you think its still not worth it?

Well it would be more complicated and you would need more power. You would also open yourself up to potential problems and would lose performance in games that don't work with SLI. On the plus side, you could take advantage of the SLI AA and the SLi physics if that ever comes out. You're performance increase with those cards would probably only be in the 20-30% range over your 6800GT, although it depends on the game and features being used. You could get a beefy 7900GT for only $50 more.

-Rav

if you can come up with the extra $50 or so for the 7900 gt then get it.
if your powersuply is not up to the job then think about the price for a new one to run SLI also.

the only 2 ways i would say go SLI is if you allready had one card and the 2nd was less than $150 then and only then would i even think of going SLi with 2 6800's, the 2nd way i would say go SLI is if your gona run 4 monitors and then not run the 2 cards in sli mode.

Alright, its settled! Its financially stupid for my to get anything less than a 7900GT, so that will now be my focus.Thanks for the input!

Back