• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinions on the ASROCK 890 gx Extreme 3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JKman

Registered
So, I am thinking about getting a new mobo. The Asrock 890gx extreme 3 has caught my interest (though I can't seem to find a price on it). I was wondering how you guys think this one compares against other 890 boards? Think this could fit 3 x 5770's on it? Specifically, the HIS iceq turbo version (which I can't find a price on as well)? Here is a link to show its size Click Here. Think there would be enough room for a Audigy 4 pro in that rig? Thanks for any insights and info you can provide! :)

:welcome: to Overclockers.com!

With three double-slot cards I doubt you'll have any room left for anything else and there may be cooling issues with three cards as well. Don't know of anybody that's snagged any 890GX as yet for any comparison, you'll have to rely on the reviews available most likely ...

:welcome: to Overclockers.com!

With three double-slot cards I doubt you'll have any room left for anything else and there may be cooling issues with three cards as well. Don't know of anybody that's snagged any 890GX as yet for any comparison, you'll have to rely on the reviews available most likely ...

Yeah, I think I will be going with only 2 of them I still can't find price info on the board or video cards. Oh, well I will just have to wait I guess. Thanks for replying!

So, I am thinking about getting a new mobo. The Asrock 890gx extreme 3 has caught my interest (though I can't seem to find a price on it). I was wondering how you guys think this one compares against other 890 boards? Think this could fit 3 x 5770's on it? Specifically, the HIS iceq turbo version (which I can't find a price on as well)? Here is a link to show its size Click Here. Think there would be enough room for a Audigy 4 pro in that rig? Thanks for any insights and info you can provide! :)

Hello, I just ordered 2 of the Asrock 890 GX extreme 3 boards. Newegg just got them in today. Price is $129.00.

To answer some of your questions I see posted here.

I run 3x 5870,s Asus 2 GB 1 GB 1 GB cards 950/1250 full time every day gaming clocks. I have been using the Asrock 785GXH tri xfire board for near a year with a 4 Ghz bench 3.75 Ghz every day 965 BE 125 watt c3.

Temps for the GPU,s when running them this close, providing you use the reference cooler intake threw the front and out the back. My cards hit around 50c to 55c @ 1.2 volts tops with fan speeds toping out @ 49 % to 50% in games after about 2 hours of gaming with a room temp around 70 F.

Running 3 cards that close will not be a temp problem if you use adequate case cooling and the A typical reference coolers.

I see absolutely no reason the 890 GX will be any different the bandwidth is the same @ 8x 8x 4x and spacing and layout is identical.

If you have any other questions, ask away. I can also be found on AMD CPU forums. Also known as PC-GURU there to.

My advice, go with 3 of them, you wont regret it.

PS. I will be doing a detailed tri xfire review on this board, review will be posted at the AMD CPU forums. But I will try and post it here to if that helps. Hope to have this board ether tomorrow or Friday at the latest and overclock right away. I most likly will just match my overclocks I have already and hope the board takes it like the 785 GXH did.

Last edited:
Hello, I just ordered 2 of the Asrock 890 GX extreme 3 boards. Newegg just got them in today. Price is $129.00.

To answer some of your questions I see posted here.

I run 3x 5870,s Asus 2 GB 1 GB 1 GB cards 950/1250 full time every day gaming clocks. I have been using the Asrock 785GXH tri xfire board for near a year with a 4 Ghz bench 3.75 Ghz every day 965 BE 125 watt c3.

Temps for the GPU,s when running them this close, providing you use the reference cooler intake threw the front and out the back. My cards hit around 50c to 55c @ 1.2 volts tops with fan speeds toping out @ 49 % to 50% in games after about 2 hours of gaming with a room temp around 70 F.

Running 3 cards that close will not be a temp problem if you use adequate case cooling and the A typical reference coolers.

I see absolutely no reason the 890 GX will be any different the bandwidth is the same @ 8x 8x 4x and spacing and layout is identical.

If you have any other questions, ask away. I can also be found on AMD CPU forums. Also known as PC-GURU there to.

My advice, go with 3 of them, you wont regret it.

PS. I will be doing a detailed tri xfire review on this board, review will be posted at the AMD CPU forums. But I will try and post it here to if that helps. Hope to have this board ether tomorrow or Friday at the latest and overclock right away. I most likly will just match my overclocks I have already and hope the board takes it like the 785 GXH did.

Thanks for the reply! I would appreciate a link to the review as I am not in a huge rush to buy a new board and would love to see all of the quirks of this one (especially with 3 x video cards). Have a good one! :)

Back