• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinions - Swiftech MCR220-DRIVE Radiator with Pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ahimoth

Registered
Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting Swiftech MCR220-DRIVE Radiator with Pump it's a radiator, pump and res for $205. I'll have to buy one more Res to accommodate my 2nd GPU.

I'm thinking about going through this configuration.

Swiftech radiator/res => CPU => GPU1 => XSPC EX120 Radiator (it's a smaller radiator with one 120mm 2000 rpm fan) => GPU2 => end loop.

In future I'm thinking about adding HDD cooling and RAM cooling. I know it's overkill but I think my build (link to wishlist and build post) is something I can definitely build on for the next few years, the ram cooling and HDD cooling will be a very cheap addition, and will just be for aesthetics.

Hell what about having three single 120 mm radiators and isolating each component so it has it's on radiator? Thoughts? I've seen a lot of posts where the general consensus is two 120 mm fans per component. If this water cooling can not handle three OC'd components then I'll drop the CPU component for a fan cooling unit and continue with the three 120 mm fan set up for the radiators. Going in this configuration, large radiator => GPU 1 => small radiator => GPU 2 => res.

So the water goes through your system in a flash and then through it again again and again. So the water only comes in contact with each block for a very short period of time. For this reason it really doesn't matter how you set thing up in the cycle. I honestly dont even worry about it till I have everything in it's place then I start looking at what is going to be the shortest route with the least amount of tubing.

That radiator/pump/res combo is nice... It is crap for mounting inside a case though. I have it and the first thing I can say is the less tubing, the less fittings, the better and that radiator/pump/res combo eliminates a lot of tubing and fittings. Also it support parallel set ups easily bye having 3 returns. Swiftech is really pushing the parallel topic with their HD block.

You need to figure out how you are going to mount your rad/pump/res before you buy it. You could always just buy the fan bracket mount box and put the whole thing on the back of your case. I think I am going to do that myself as I pulled this thing out and it is sitting wayside till I figure out how I want to re-install it.

You mentioned an extra res... cant hurt things but why do you need it? Also with the ram and hdd cooler. I could see the ram if you are OCing your ram and if you get a used one for dirt cheap but not the HD the more stuff you add in the more difficult plumbing becomes and the more restrictions you have. Keep it simple, of course it is all your stuff and nobody can tell you not to do it. A SSD doesn't get hot. My Velociraptor doesn't get warm. My green drive dosn't get very warm either. My 7200 RPM 1TB Samsung is on fire. But I don't think I need to liquid cool it.

What case do you have or have you not decided?

I think it's a typo, he meant rad, not res.

3 rads when one has the same surface area? Also add up the cost of 3 120x1 rads vs one. You also have a lot more tubing and fittings, not good for your flowrate, especially if you go down the odd path of cooling your RAM and HDs.

I myself like the Swiftech rad/pump setup. The parallel in's are worthless IMHO. The better bet is a regular rad with the new pump/cpu block made by Swiftech, it has parellel outs that could be useful if you do your RAM/HD/whatever else you want to cool.

EDIT: We have a WC forum here if you want it moved ask a mod.

And we have lots of helpful stickies dealing with WC in that forum. Become really informed.

I think it's a typo, he meant rad, not res.

3 rads when one has the same surface area? Also add up the cost of 3 120x1 rads vs one. You also have a lot more tubing and fittings, not good for your flowrate, especially if you go down the odd path of cooling your RAM and HDs.

I myself like the Swiftech rad/pump setup. The parallel in's are worthless IMHO. The better bet is a regular rad with the new pump/cpu block made by Swiftech, it has parellel outs that could be useful if you do your RAM/HD/whatever else you want to cool.

EDIT: We have a WC forum here if you want it moved ask a mod.

And we have lots of helpful stickies dealing with WC in that forum. Become really informed.

I like the pump on the block as well but at that point I think I would just rock a pump/res like I always have. I myself have not done parallel returns or parallel off the block but that is what swiftech is pushing which is why all there stuff now has it. As for the cards if you where putting a rad between the cards because the first card would heat up the water I wouldn't worry about that. It isn't usually a big difference plus you can get something like an FC Parallel Link if you go with EK blocks and I think other companies have similar things. I believe if the water goes in parallel instead of serial you have no difference in the temps on the cards.

Like I said before though if you go the route of a MCR220 pump/res/rad just make sure you know where you want to mount it and understand where the fill ports are which way they need to be orientated and where the inlet outlet is. The big issue with mounting it in the top of a case is you may need to cut a hole in the case for access to the fill port or pull the rad out to deal with that. Also if you are mounting it in the top of a case you are basically required to mount fans between the case and it because of how the pump hangs off. Most people do this anyways but I am just saying it is a must in this case.

Thanks Conumdrum and givmedew! This can be locked now. Givmedew has been graciously answering all the questions I have in my build post.

Back