• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron 144 CAB2E Stepping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

surface-noise

Hi there,

I've been looking at the Opteron threads on these forums and have decided to try one out; I ordered two 144's from Komplett and Scan earlier this month, and as luck would have it, they've both turned up on the same day. I plan on keeping one and returning the other, but my choice isn't as clear-cut as they're both CAB2E steppings.

I have:
CAB2E 0548FPDW and a CAB2E 0545CPAW

Does anyone know whether week 45 or 48 of this stepping is preferable, or do the week numbers not really guarantee 3GHz success? I plan to OC on air, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any help,
s-n

There is no stepping that will guaruntee failure or success. The only way to know for sure will be to actually test them out yourself.
I'm sure there are people out there with the exact same stepping codes as you that have done really well. And then some that did mediocre or just plain badly.
Stepping codes on the Opteron939s so far have been insignificant. Overclockability is on a chip to chip basis.

Just letting you know, very few Opteron144s can achieve 3GHz, let alone on air. 2.8GHz-2.9GHz is much more realistic.
Good luck foo.

Back