• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron 165 $275 shipped

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I cant wait to find out what the new steppings from monarch are, if this remains a low price for a killer processor/overclocker is enough reason to knock me off of the fence, and I really want a reason to get into a new system now, as apposed to later

any chance that these new ones will be the same stepping? or likely to be a new one

If the chances for a good stepping are still good, I will just go to the wanted section looking to pay a middle in the US to order the chip and ship it to me (pending confirmation from Monarch that there are no payment methods available to me )

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about it, the prices seem to be dropping anyway. And if you want to go the ebay route you can get them for $250-$275 no problem. And I know for a fact there is a Buy It Now listed at $289. ;)

HousERaT said:
so how did your new chip turn out?

I haven't worked on it much since the first few days. Too much time at work lately. :p But I beleive 3.0 prime stable is in reach. I've already nailed 2.8 stable at stock volts.

So has anyone ordered one recently? If so, what stepping did you get? I'm looking to order one today (even tho I guess I won't get that awesome price with the coupon)

I'm just really hoping that I can get a chip that will do AT LEAST 2.8Ghz ...3.0 would be awesome.

anyone?

I would hold off on buying a 165 right now, they are great overclockers, but the X2 3800+ is going to drop to $160 in a couple weeks and even teh 4200+ X2 will be $240, AMD's next round of price cuts seem to be quite large.

funnyperson1 said:
I would hold off on buying a 165 right now, they are great overclockers, but the X2 3800+ is going to drop to $160 in a couple weeks and even teh 4200+ X2 will be $240, AMD's next round of price cuts seem to be quite large.
no way... that's just an insane price cut if you ask me... i doubt it's dipping THAT low... links, bud? :D

g0dM@n said:
no way... that's just an insane price cut if you ask me... i doubt it's dipping THAT low... links, bud? :D

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2800

It is probably the largest price cut I have ever seen on anything, but seems like its legit. Honestly I am a little surprised AMD was able to keep the 3800 prices so high for so long.

It seems that Intel and AMD are entering a price war, AMD really had no choice compared to the proposed Conroe and P4 prices.

funnyperson1 said:
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2800

It is probably the largest price cut I have ever seen on anything, but seems like its legit. Honestly I am a little surprised AMD was able to keep the 3800 prices so high for so long.

It seems that Intel and AMD are entering a price war, AMD really had no choice compared to the proposed Conroe and P4 prices.
No, that pricing is overly optimistic. I posted about an update to one of these news articles that gave more clarity to the situation. Price cuts on X2 CPUs will be in the range of 30-40%, which means we'll be looking at $182 or more for an X2 3800+. Still a great deal, though. So much so that I've decided not to pull the trigger on this $270 Opty 165, and instead wait for the cheap X2! Although it hasn't been explicity stated that the cuts will apply to 939 CPUs.

http://digitimes.com/mobos/a20060612PR208.html

lol... wow on the price cuts, funnyperson... WOW... it's just insane.

think the vendors will drop their prices as much? i feel like they'll ease into it cuz ddr is not dying out if you ask me... ddr will last til at least the end of the year. i know i'm not upgrading...

as for the 165s from monarch... from the thread at [H] it still seems like ppl are getting the 0610s...

hrmmm....I'm thinking of trying again....while I can do 3.0 Ghz on mine...I can't get core0 to prime there...and I am too scared to up voltage over 1.6 ....so maybe I should sell my chip and try my luck at hitting 3 on another.

is it really worth that much trouble just to get a couple extra MHz? Seems like you want to just have 3GHz to say you have 3GHz. In eality you'll see almost no difference between 2.95 to 3.0. You should save your money since you have a great chip there right now.

The 2.66GHz Conroe at STOCK was easily beating an FX-60 at 2.8 (in game benchmarks), so you will actually see a difference if you upgrade when that comes around. This was in an Anandtech article btw.

Back