• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron 180 2.4ghz dual core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tango1974

Registered
So I have a 939 dual core system running 3 gig of memory with a 3850 ATI card and a raid system.

The processor is a 939 opteron 180, which is still running very well. How does this processor compare with a AM2 opteron?

As Im still trying to find a reason to upgrade to a AM2+ board!!! but my system still plays all the games with no trouble.

Any ideas??? Should I just stay as I am for another couple of years?

BTW crysis runs on high settings with 4 XAA with no problems, still running XP waiting for windows 7 to come out so I can finally go 64bit. :santa:

am2 opterons aren't as nice IMO

I would wait alittle while if you can until all am3 stuff is aval if your gonna upgrade.

am2 opterons aren't as nice IMO

I would wait alittle while if you can until all am3 stuff is aval if your gonna upgrade.

Lol thanks for that mate, I have just been looking at the AM3 gear and it does look nice, esp the OEM quad core with 6mb cache ;)

I can hang fire as my system still flies, but being AGP it is on the last ever card that will go in, the 3850 DX10. Shame because the processor still does a fantastic job.

Thats exactly what I'm doing. Hoping to have enough money for a 945, Asus M4A79T Deluxe, and other stuff (havnt deceided what yet :p)

Lol thanks for that mate, I have just been looking at the AM3 gear and it does look nice, esp the OEM quad core with 6mb cache ;)

I can hang fire as my system still flies, but being AGP it is on the last ever card that will go in, the 3850 DX10. Shame because the processor still does a fantastic job.
Nice choice for an upgrade!

But I agree with jonspd - hang tight and wait for the AM3 stuff to come out and mature a little. As you can see below, I'm still doing fine with my Opty 180 as my main system, though I do have a little more number crunching muscle in my SETI farm. ;)

I'll be upgrading to a Phenom II soon using one of my farm boards. I hate the $$$ penalty for bleeding edge but the Phen II has got me excited and since I already have a board ...! :drool:

Not for need but just some days ago I decided to OC my Opty180.
Ok, I started luky cause of my DFI lanparty SLI-DR mobo and my 2x1GB Team Group Xtreem DDR500 3-3-3-8 ram 1T settings...
The system is now running ROcK solid@3000 250FSBx12, HTx4, Vcore 1.4 a little bit over the default 1.36V.
My cooler is a Thermaltake CNPS9500 copper.
I own two Opteron180, the first that I nacked didn't run anyway above 2.6GHz and with a very high overvolt to stabilized it, this one I purchased some weeks ago, just put in the socket and overclocked, it run immediately @3000 but crashed during gaming so I overvolted the core, only a bit 1.36->1.4, and now is ROcK solid.
The only strange thing now is that when I switch the PC on it doesn't start immediately like before but I must wait almost 30 secs before the machine starts booting.
In that time only the power on led is lightin, no other things apper workin.
I've got also another 2x1GB DDR500 Team Group but 3-4-4-8, a little bit slower than the first kit.
I must try all 4GB of DDR500 T1 and T2 and then I'll can say something new...

The Opteron185/185 are good CPUs like Core2Duo (I've also a mobile workstation witnin a T7600).
Only if somebody need over 4GB of very fast ram there is need to upgrade system, if not only with a good GPU you can ejoy by now and for almost two years again!

Only one thing, if you want get the max, get a Lanparty mobo!

Back